Garmin Colorado

kezlu

These maps do work. I tried the one at Viersen, west of Düsseldorf.

It's not transparent, but that was perhaps not intentional either?

Great! It's a relief knowing that they work. Thanks for your tests.

I have to turn off City Navigator to see it.

It's ok. CN and other products take always the precedence. They are supposed to work that way.

If you happen to try a transparent map, out of curiosity, I'd like to know if it drapes on the resident dem map and shows shaded reliefs.

Thanks again

Mike

Edited by alpamayo

I've only tried the tutorial cartridge. The cartridge builder software doesn't run on Windows versions that aren't English yet. Localization hasn't been completed, if even begun.

The wireless range is three meters, but I only have one Colorado, so I haven't been able to try it.

An interesting thing with my topo maps, Friluftskartan, is that they normally are layered above City Navigator. But when I changed the file name of the topo map from GMAPSUPP.IMG to GMAPPROM.IMG, effectively fooling the unit into thinking they were pre-installed, then suddenly they are under City Navigator instead.

In a way it makes sense. If you add maps to a unit with pre-loaded maps, it's probably because you want to use the maps you added. You can always turn off a map set separately.

300 versus 400t:

When I select all of US Topo 2008 in MapSource instead of getting the number of maps and the size I get the message "The map set is larger than 4GB" in red. Since my largest SD card is 4GB I can't test to see if it will generate the map or not. So it might not be possible to load all of US Topo 2008 onto an SD card to use with the 300. Something to consider...

Thanks for your reply. However that picture is misleading as it hotlinks directly from the "Above the timber" screenshots' page.

No, I mean this pictures in the webalbum, which are screenshots taken from a Colorado 300. You have to read the hole post :grin:

Where have you got your information from ?

The information I received is from Garmin Support. I got further clarification on the maps. Garmin does not "support" 3rd party maps, but apparently the Colorado can work with 3rd party compatible maps.

I haven't seen 3rd party maps for Garmin, so thanks for the links and enlightenment.

If I can make my own high quality and detailed 1:24K topo maps, then the Garmin Colorado is back on my list.

Jake

I haven't seen 3rd party maps for Garmin, so thanks for the links and enlightenment.

Ummm, yah, don't tell Garmin you are using 3rd party maps... And make sure they are gone if you send it in for warranty...... I'm sure they are not pleased about their proprietary map format being hacked open.... They should be, though. Free maps is the #1 reason I suggest Garmin products to anyone that asks.

Ummm, yah, don't tell Garmin you are using 3rd party maps... And make sure they are gone if you send it in for warranty...... I'm sure they are not pleased about their proprietary map format being hacked open.... They should be, though. Free maps is the #1 reason I suggest Garmin products to anyone that asks.

I want to make sure I got this right before I jump off the deep end into learning this. With Garmin, I can create my own topographic maps at 1:24k? aerial photo? satellite imagery? custom trail maps (e.g. offroad parks)? I want more than just overlaying tracks on top of Garmin maps.

And how does this compare to Magellan w/ National Geographic Topo! or Delorme's PN-20?

Is there any software out that there that makes map creation easy? I noticed some involves lots of steps, inaccuracy, and multiple software apps.

Thanks,

Jake

I want to make sure I got this right before I jump off the deep end into learning this. With Garmin, I can create my own topographic maps at 1:24k? aerial photo? satellite imagery? custom trail maps (e.g. offroad parks)? I want more than just overlaying tracks on top of Garmin maps.

And how does this compare to Magellan w/ National Geographic Topo! or Delorme's PN-20?

Is there any software out that there that makes map creation easy? I noticed some involves lots of steps, inaccuracy, and multiple software apps.

Thanks,

Jake

This is a good starting point :o

Alpamayo

Another good starting point for that is the openstreetmap project. You can convert OSM maps to Garmin IMG Maps. Look here.

In some areas the OSM maps are more detailed than garmins topo maps. If you miss anything in the OSM maps you can edit them with freeware tools (for example JOSM).

I read somewhere (I don't remember where) that 4GB was the max. Can't say how true this is....

yeah, I thought I read somewhere that 4Gb was confirmed to work, but haven't heard anything about the maximum size allowable.

I have a feeling the 400t, or any of the Colorado's, will handle what ever size SD card you throw in it. Garmin sells a 4Gb card, so they say it will accept a 4Gb SD card. Why would the Colorado care if you load in a 4Gb or 8Gb card?

Then again, this is a truely uneducated theory based on gut instinct since I know Bubkus about tech or computer issues.

This is a good starting point :D

Understand that this comment is coming from someone who uses the Delorme TopoUSA/PN-20 combo, and has *not* tried the method described for Garmin custom maps. But my impression is that it's a much easier process to customize the Delorme maps than the Garmin (though it's impressive the degree of customization that can be done with the Garmin overlays). Additionally, the Delorme customizations allow for routable road and trail additions.

National Geographic is not customizable to my knowledge. There is a freeware application that allows customization of Magellan Mapsend maps.

Edited by embra

Thanks,

Jake

This is a good starting point :P

Alpamayo

Thanks for the link...but dang...those steps are quite hodgepodged! I need something easier.