Ken,

The following is the information we just got from Garmin today:

To: Marine & Consumer Electronic Dealers

From: Bryan Yalowitz, Senior Manager, Recreational Sales/Marketing

Date: January 4, 2008

New Product Announcement

Colorado™ Personal handheld GPS Navigator

Colorado 300 Worldwide basemap with shaded relief

Colorado 400t Preloaded topography map of the U.S.

Colorado 400i Preloaded with U.S. Inland Lakes

Colorado 400c Preloaded with BlueChart g2 data for the coastal U.S. and Bahamas

Garmin International is pleased to announce the Colorado, the newest member of the premium handheld line. This rugged unit with a high-sensitivity receiver offers innovative features such as a new Rock ‘n Roller™ wheel for one hand operation as well as the ability to exchange waypoints, tracks, routes and geocaches wirelessly between units. In addition, you can customize your Colorado with five different user profiles: automotive, marine, recreation, fitness or geocache. The SD card slot on the bottom of the unit makes it simple to load optional maps for different types of adventures. The Colorado has a rugged, metal-look and a sleek, slim profile. The Colorado’s detailed mapping and high-resolution color display enhance any outdoor adventure, whether on land or water.

The Colorado is offered in four different variations: Colorado 300, 400t, 400i and 400c.

The Colorado 300 features a built-in worldwide basemap with shaded relief for incredibly enhanced map presentation on the unit. Optional detailed maps can also be loaded using the SD card slot or the 384 megabytes of internal memory built into the Colorado 300.

With the state-of-the-art 3D elevation perspective and preloaded topographic map data of the U.S., the rugged Colorado 400t is the perfect companion for your outdoor adventures. It gives you all the tools you need for serious climbing, hiking or hunting.

The Colorado 400i is your all-purpose guide to outdoor fun. Built-in U.S. Inland Lakes and navigable river maps provide boaters and anglers with shoreline details, depth contours, boat ramps and mile markers for thousand of lakes.

Saltwater mariners will love the built-in detailed BlueChart g2 coverage for the coastal U.S. and the Bahamas in the 400c. The chart detail includes shoreline, depth contours, navaids and port plans.

Thank You,

JoAnn

Customer Service

http://GPSNOW.com - Order by 5 pm and have it Tomorrow!

http://MapNow.com - Detailed Topographic Mapping Software http://4X4BOOKS.com - Leading Off Highway 4X4 Travel Store

BizRate Circle of Excellence Gold Honoree Winner

With the state-of-the-art 3D elevation perspective and preloaded topographic map data of the U.S., the rugged Colorado 400t is the perfect companion for your outdoor adventures. It gives you all the tools you need for serious climbing, hiking or hunting.

The 400t sounds awesome -- I would love more detail on the supported topo maps for this unit.

Justin

Will the topo maps really look that good or is that a "dramatization"

I'm pretty sure that is an image of a real topo map. I will be at Macworld Expo in San Francisco on January 15. Garmin has a booth; I'll bring a camera and take some pictures of the Colorado...and anything else that is new on the market from Garmin.

I'm getting ready to retire my 60Cx. I've had it for 23 months and it has been a real asset while hiking in the U.S. and France. Plus, it has been a good car navigation device. I'm guessing that the Colorado 400t will prove to be a good upgrade from the 60Cx.

Edited by Barrikady

Will the topo maps really look that good or is that a "dramatization"

I'm pretty sure that is an image of a real topo map. I will be at Macworld Expo in San Francisco on January 15. Garmin has a booth; I'll bring a camera and take some pictures of the Colorado...and anything else that is new on the market from Garmin.

I'm getting ready to retire my 60Cx. I've had it for 23 months and it has been a real asset while hiking in the U.S. and France. Plus, it has been a good car navigation device. I'm guessing that the Colorado 400t will prove to be a good upgrade from the 60Cx.

Also find out if you please if the 300 is different from the 400t only in the map supplied. I laready have Garmin's new Topo 2008 as many other here have so I don't wish to double dip.

Also find out if you please if the 300 is different from the 400t only in the map supplied. I laready have Garmin's new Topo 2008 as many other here have so I don't wish to double dip.

Right. There are a lot of unanswered questions about the upcoming Colorado series. I plan to get as much info as possible... and share it with this group.

I'd like to know whether we have to buy aerial maps from Garmin or if we can down load the freely-available data and use that.

And as others mentioned, will my Topo 2008 work with it, or will I need something else?

And City Navigator -- are they going to use that for auto-routing on roads, or something new?

Lots of questions... I wish I had one of these to play with for a while, but even with all the neat bells and whistles, it's not $600 better than my 60CSx. How about a half-price sale for geocachers, Garmin? :anicute:

Lots of questions... I wish I had one of these to play with for a while, but even with all the neat bells and whistles, it's not $600 better than my 60CSx. How about a half-price sale for geocachers, Garmin? :anicute:

Well M.S.R.P. to M.S.R.P the price difference between the 60csx and the Colorado 300 is only $104.76. Street price will probably differ by $150-$200.

And as others mentioned, will my Topo 2008 work with it, or will I need something else?

And City Navigator -- are they going to use that for auto-routing on roads, or something new?

Yes Topo 2008 will work, and yes City Navigator will also work. I viewed this info at the Garmin web site.

Edited by Barrikady

The specs on their website confirms that Garmin missed the boat once again with their tracks and waypoint storage... still the same as previous models. If they had moved the track storage onto the card I'd buy one but since the only thing I really like is the screen, I don't see the point (although that big screen does look really nice!).

This is starting to look like a 60CSx Plus.

I'd really like it if they had aerial and top and could alpha blend them. The large screen is good. But I could care less about shaded relief. I can read a topo and the alpha blended topo/arial would have been perfect. Stick vector roads into the mix and I'd not have to switch between maps for what I want it to do.

aerials with the GPX Support may tempt me. Hard to say.

in case youhate hitting links, under the features listed, it says:

"Geocaching mode: yes (paperless)"

I didn't see it mentioned on that page, but elsewhere it has been noted that they include the description. Looks like they may be the first to hit the holy grail (and with that large screen, it may be reasonably readable). It will be interesting to see the implementation.

Holy Grail? Yeah, it's an improvement, but I'm flat out amazed there's apparently only a 2-axis compass. I just wonder what was behind that reasoning. Perhaps it's not that important to users? I've never owned a GPSr, so I speak from ignorance, but I'm a "belts and suspenders" kind of guy, and for me the 2 axis vs. 3 axis would be a no-brainer. Unless I didn't have a good 3-axis compass to put in the unit....

Still, the chatter about this has been enough to make me postpone buying anything. I'm hoping for a comparable improvement to the Rino line.

There was early speculation that the Garmin Colorado could use raster images (aerial photos, etc.) similar to the latest Delorme/Magellon units.

From what I am seeing on Garmin's site and everywhere else this does not seem to be the case - instead the Colorado seems to use the same maps (City Nav, Topo, etc.) although with more colors and shaded relief.

Am I missing anything?

Holy Grail? Yeah, it's an improvement, but I'm flat out amazed there's apparently only a 2-axis compass. I just wonder what was behind that reasoning. Perhaps it's not that important to users? I've never owned a GPSr, so I speak from ignorance, but I'm a "belts and suspenders" kind of guy, and for me the 2 axis vs. 3 axis would be a no-brainer. Unless I didn't have a good 3-axis compass to put in the unit....

Sorry, I meant Holy Grail only in the sense of doing GPS-only paperless caching adequately. I agree about the compass. It's a little strange to me why Garmin persists with the 2-axis, too.

From what I am seeing on Garmin's site and everywhere else this does not seem to be the case - instead the Colorado seems to use the same maps (City Nav, Topo, etc.) although with more colors and shaded relief.

That's my take, too. Interesting hardware/firmware advancement, same 'ol maps. OK, with 3D view...cool, but I can usually get a pretty good 3D view of my position by raising my head. :P

I don't think Magellan's Triton will have too much to worry about. Magellan Triton has the 3-axis compass, plus the map options are superior. For me, I will not go into the backcountry without 24K topo-quad maps.

I'd like to see a full review/comparison between the Colorado, Triton, and PN-20 before my final decision. The review also needs to include the mapping software.

Jake

Crap, it looks like it uses a different power jack for the car than the 60 series. Looks like they want us to overspend on their expensive cables once again!

Perhaps someone would do us the honor of calling Garmin and asking if the only differnce between the 300 and 400's is the pre-loaded maps?

Edited by jcc123

Crap, it looks like it uses a different power jack for the car than the 60 series. Looks like they want us to overspend on their expensive cables once again!

Perhaps someone would do use the honor of calling Garmin and asking id the only differnce between the 300 and 400's is the pre-loaded maps?

It looks like it uses the USB port for power like all the "X" models. This makes the most sense since USB power adapters only cost a few dollars.

edit: Yes, that review shows that USB is the only power and data port. The top mount is a PITA though as right angle USB cords are pretty rare.....

Edited by Red90

The specs on their website confirms that Garmin missed the boat once again with their tracks and waypoint storage... still the same as previous models. If they had moved the track storage onto the card I'd buy one but since the only thing I really like is the screen, I don't see the point (although that big screen does look really nice!).

It "appears" that Geocaches are separate from "waypoints"..... Hopefully that is true and they are not limitted in amount.

Are the topo maps includeded with the 400t the same 1:100,000 maps that are used with the rest of the garmins? and if so, would this thing let you load NG 1:24,000 maps in it as the triton will?

I just got my army reserve reenlistment bonus and was about to get a delorme earthmate because of its 1:24,000 maps, but now I'm confused about what I should get.

Are the waypoints stored on the SD card? If so, that's what I have been waiting for to replace the 60CS.

You do know about POI loader which allows you to put basically unlimited "waypoints" on the SD card on existing garmin GPSr's, right?

Edited by forrestc

The roller wheel works good with gloves, at least with reasonable gloves.

It works perfectly where it is. Right at your thumb, regardless of whether you hold the unit in your right or left hand.

The compass is 2-axis, so it's as sensitive to how you hold it as ever before.

The geocaching mode requires a special file format which Groundspeak doesn't support yet, so I haven't been able to try that.

The Colorado 300 has 380+ Mbytes of internal memory, for maps, custom POI, track log archives etc. So there's plenty of space, unless you plan to put for example all of City Navigator Europe in there. Then you need a card. I've only tried with 2 GB so far. That works fine.

The 400 models have a significantly larger internal memory, as all their maps requries no SD card at all. So there's more to them then just a map added. You do not get the same by adding these maps to a 300, as then a great part of the SD card is occupied, and the slot itself is occupied with your card, so you can't add a pre-programmed card to the internal maps.

The wireless communication isn't Bluetooth, but ANT+.

Edited by apersson850

There was early speculation that the Garmin Colorado could use raster images (aerial photos, etc.) similar to the latest Delorme/Magellon units.

Am I missing anything?

It appears that the marine units (400i, 400c) have global satellite imagery (not a lot of detail though), so it looks like the hardware can display raster imagery, raising the possibility of using aerial photos somewhere down the line. I'll be asking Garmin about this at CES next week, but don't expect them to disclose any future plans. They're a tight lipped bunch when it comes to that.