Geocoin Collecting Questions

The Horn Hunters

Hi all. The family and I recently discovered this fun hobby (from an article in a boating magazine believe it or not). Cruising the forums and reading FAQs have been very helpful in finding answers to all sorts of questions, but I have some questions about collecting geocoins that I can't quite figure out.

What is the common practice with trackable coins regarding activation? Do most folks generally keep them unactivated? If so, why? Does it make them easier to trade? Sort of sounds like you have to go through some sort of ownership transfer if you were to trade activated coins, but this is where I start getting confused. I guess what are the pros/cons of activating/not activating your geocoins?

Seems like geocoins were originally cache swag and/or trackables but have now sort of evolved into an almost completely separate collection hobby. Is that a correct statement? Is purchase/trade generally the way most go about collecting geocoins now? If so, is it just understood/expected that when you purchase a trackable geocoin that it is unactivated/uncirculated geocoin? Obviously buyer beware and all that, but are those the geocoins that are generally coveted by collectors?

Thanks for any help!

What is the common practice with trackable coins regarding activation? Do most folks generally keep them unactivated? If so, why? Does it make them easier to trade? Sort of sounds like you have to go through some sort of ownership transfer if you were to trade activated coins, but this is where I start getting confused. I guess what are the pros/cons of activating/not activating your geocoins?

I think most people don't activate their coins if they're collecting, although there are those that do. Some people bring binders full of activated coins to events so others can discover them.

Seems like geocoins were originally cache swag and/or trackables but have now sort of evolved into an almost completely separate collection hobby. Is that a correct statement?

That's a very accurate statement!

Is purchase/trade generally the way most go about collecting geocoins now? If so, is it just understood/expected that when you purchase a trackable geocoin that it is unactivated/uncirculated geocoin? Obviously buyer beware and all that, but are those the geocoins that are generally coveted by collectors?

There are quite a few of websites that sell geocoins, as well as Ebay. Lots of people do trade for them also. Most people like to trade for unactivated coins, but there are those that don't mind trading for activated ones. When trading, I always assume that the coin I'm trading for is unactivated (but you know what they say when you assume something). Never hurts to ask first.

Now run, as fast as you can, before you get bitten by the Geocoin Bug!

Now that I have a few coins for my personal collection I guess I have a question that could be added to this topic too.

I see some people activate their coins (I guess for the icon) and then keep them in an archived cache. And others just keep their list on a coin tracking website.

Which is prefered, I know this is a completely personal decision but would like some opinions...

I would like to take some of my coins to events to share, but if I ever want to trade them I guess they should be unactivated?

All replies welcome (flame gear on if nessessary :P )

Some great answers to all your questions.... here's some add ons.

Geocoins started as a unique form of travel bug. But because they were instantly appreciated for the creative spirit (art) involved and the uniqueness of each design they became collectibles too.

There is no formula for what will appeal to collectors and what won't. Some very cute designs flop while others soar. It's hard to gauge the market so it's best to buy or collect those that appeal to you.

Check the pinned threads above and even the Trackable Items pages for links to coin makers so you don't have to lose your shirt on Ebay.

I started buying coins because we have 41 caches and like to have tb's or coins in them. So I was releasing them all but I have a 3 year old grandson and I saw the caching zones and thought what a neat way for him to learn the zones when he got older. Then I found all kinds of them I wanted to buy and save for him so it started our collection of keeping coins. We was releasing the coins so others would be able to see them and discover them, move them along for others to enjoy so when I wanted to save some for my grandson we activated them so other people could still discover them. But once you activate them, they go into your inventory on your account page until you drop them some where. I have dial up so that would really slow me down.

I drop them into an unpublished cache listing I created to get them out of my inventory. An archived cache would work the same way. It isn't a cache people would be going to but a place to get their coins out of their inventory. I don't know if a coin tracking list takes it out of their inventory or not.

I have coins that I haven't activated yet because here in Maine most of our caches our under a whole lot of snow so I activate them when I am putting them into a cache. I saw in the forum the white elephant exchange so decided while I was waiting for the snow to go I would try that. I have never traded a coin so can't answer a question about that.

What is a caching zone?

A series of coins that is made like a puzzle and when you put them all together they make a map of the United States including Alaska and Hawaii and part of Canada. The time zones are different colors so by looking at the colors you can see which state is in what time zone. I just thought it was a unigue way to learn the different time zones. I have even used it to figure out what time it is is another state.

What is a caching zone?

A series of coins that is made like a puzzle and when you put them all together they make a map of the United States including Alaska and Hawaii and part of Canada. The time zones are different colors so by looking at the colors you can see which state is in what time zone. I just thought it was a unigue way to learn the different time zones. I have even used it to figure out what time it is is another state.

I see some people activate their coins (I guess for the icon) and then keep them in an archived cache. And others just keep their list on a coin tracking website.

This serves two purposes and neither one compliments each other.

People store their personal activated coins on an archived cache to keep them out of their "inventory". While that very same person can display them on a coin tracking site for no other reason to show them off to the world.

People store their personal activated coins on an archived cache to keep them out of their "inventory". While that very same person can display them on a coin tracking site for no other reason to show them off to the world.

Could someone explain this further? What is your "inventory"? Since I started geocaching last weekend, I found one geocoin that I'll be moving along this weekend. I see that geocoin shows up on my Travels Bugs link. Is that my "inventory"? So would the 'Mine' link next to the Travel Bugs link show my (activated by me) Travel Bugs that are released into the wild then? So if I simply activate it, it wouldn't show up on the Mine link? I would have to activate it and drop it into a cache (either real cache or virtual cache) to get it to show up on the Mine list?

Also, shameless bump of my questions late last night in case they get lost in the shuffle.

How do you find out about new coins that are released for public sale? Is there a single best place to keep an eye on? Is there a geocoin database that has organized and listed all the geocoins out there?

Thanks everyone!

You can view your inventory by clicking on your "logged in as" name in the top right of the Geocaching.com main page.

That will show you all the TBs and coins you have in your possession - both your own and anyone else's that you may have picked up to move.

If you own a lot of activated coins then when you log a cache and want to drop someone's coin into the cache, for example, you will be presented with the same inventory list. It's then a bit of a pain to scroll until you find the coin you want to drop and can be confusing if you also own the coin of that type (as you will see more than one).

I, like many others, syphon off my coins into an archived cache, so that the coins and TBs you see on the inventory list are ones you actually have to move on.

Hope that makes sense!

Russ

Hope that makes sense!

Helps tons, thanks! Never noticed the Inventory section of the right hand side of the screen on the account page. Although, now I am slightly confused about one thing.

What is the difference between

1. Inventory that is displayed on the right hand side

2. The list travel bugs you have found link

3. And the list travel bugs you own link

An easier question might be, if I take an unactivated geocoin and activate it, does it show up on any of these lists? Now if I drop this coin into a real or virtual cache, which lists, if any, does it show on?

Sorry for beating a dead horse, I'm just trying to make sure I understand things right. I really like the idea of getting two coins of each I want to collect (one to activate and one to keep unactivated for trades/whatever). I just want to make sure I do things right and when I get my first coins, I don't end up doing something I didn't intend to do!

OK, the inventory list is a list of trackable items (coins, TBs) that you have picked up and not yet placed in a cache. It would also include any TBs or coins that you own and have activated and still hold (i.e. not placed in a cache).

If you like, the list of TBs found and list of TBs owned are a running tally of what items you have found and owned since creating your profile.

So, to answer your last point, if you buy and activate a coin, the coin will show up on the list of trackables owned section - with its icon if it has a separate one. It will also show in your inventory as you still have it in your possession.

If you then drop the coin into a cache, it will disappear from your inventory (as you don't have it in your possession any more), but it will remain on your list of trackables owned (as it's a running tally). The coin will now also show on the cache's page as it's in there now and not in your hands.

Hope that helps.

Also, shameless bump of my questions late last night in case they get lost in the shuffle.

How do you find out about new coins that are released for public sale? Is there a single best place to keep an eye on? Is there a geocoin database that has organized and listed all the geocoins out there?

Thanks everyone!

You have received some very good answers to your inventory questions, so hopefully that is clear to you.

However, I didn't see any response to the question above yet...

At the top of the geocoin thread there are some pinned topics. One of them lists geocoin manufacturers. If you go to the manufacturers sites, you can sign up for their mailing lists. That way you will get advanced notifiication of any new coins coming out. There may be some individuals that make coins that aren't pinned there, (It's been a long while since I actually looked!), so another thing to do is look at the bottom of everyones' signature line. Folks that have sales pages often have a link in their sig line. Check those sites out, and link to them for future reference.

Then, of course, keep your eyes in these very forums. Most new coins are announced here as well.

Cheers!

There are some really neat kind hearted geocoin makers (not just minters, the people who come up with coin ideas) that love nothing more than to spread good cheer around.

They hide or mail geocoins that may be trackable or not as random acts of kindness.

There are a few threads you can read to find out more:

Ho!Ho!Ho! Merry Christmas

Geo_Leprechaun

The Geocoin Fairy geocoin

The "mystery" is you don't know who they are from :huh: The coins are highly prized by the receivers and should never be sold!

Well I was good for almost 24hours! Can anyone tell me what a mystery coin is?

First of all.. the forums list of Geocoin Manufacturers is not complete by any means. The APPROVED Groundspeak list is here

On that page, you can also find the complete list of Geocoins, the latest designs (that have been assigned tracking numbers), and a map of the most recently moved activated geocoins nearest your home.

Since nobody as answered your questions about mystery coins, briefly, they are coins made (either non-trackable or trackable), that have been minted by an unknown person(s). These coins are usually 'gifted' to other geocoin collectors/geocachers on the trail. Some are mailed, some are left in caches for others to find. Examples of these coins are "The Geocoin Fairy", "The Geocoin Secret Agent" & "The G.O. Coin Bug".

One of the best ways to find out about new coins coming out is to go to that link above, and if there are mailing lists you can join, get on them. Otherwise, keep your eyes on the geocoin forum for announcements of new coins. Also, there is a geocoin chat room available 24/7 at the link in my signature line, that you can visit and ask the friendly folks there also.

Now, before you get addicted, RUN, RUN, RUN ! ! !

but then again... enjoy your addiction :huh:

~J

Ah ok. So the Creepy Crawlers (thread that prompted my question) is likely someone all you vets probably know, but they created an alias, made a coin and are now handing it our through various avenues? Got it! I thought there was some mystery to solve or something and the coin was the clue!

Regarding your link of approved Groundspeak coins, I would assume that list is a list of only geocoins that are trackable by Groundspeak. There are also geocoins out there that are either non-trackable or even a handful that a trackable from other websites, correct?

Unfortunately, I am bitten. Just dropped a check for my first 2 geocoins. One to keep, one to trade. As soon as I get that single coin marked for trade, you'll find me here, looking to trade it! :huh:

Thanks all

Regarding your link of approved Groundspeak coins, I would assume that list is a list of only geocoins that are trackable by Groundspeak. There are also geocoins out there that are either non-trackable or even a handful that a trackable from other websites, correct?

Unfortunately, I am bitten. Just dropped a check for my first 2 geocoins. One to keep, one to trade. As soon as I get that single coin marked for trade, you'll find me here, looking to trade it!

Yes, the master list of geocoins on that page are trackable only. The lilly pad can't keep track of non-trackables. As far as I know, if anyone here can confirm others please do - but the only other trackable coin not governed by Groundspeak are "Pathtags", which are the brainchild and sister company of the Geocoinclub.

Pathtags are the alternatative (and ultimately, less expensive) way to obtain a trackable signature item that you can either trade, gift to others or leave on the trail as you cache. You can find out more about Pathtags at their website.

As far as your first trader is concerned - you really have done yourself in there... but let us know what you got... if we don't already have it.. we'd be happy to do your first trade! :laughing:

~J

Actually, there are several coins that were tracked at their own website. Texas has coins that are tracked through TXGA and I know California has an older coin that is tracked through a special website, and I believe Canada does too. There could be more of those types also. These are older coins.

There is also a place that tracks sig items, and they have several coins that they are set up to track also.

This serves two purposes and neither one compliments each other.

I keep a Coin Tracking list to help me with trades. It shows what I have available to trade, what I am seeking in trade, and for those who don't have anything on my seeking list, they can see what coins I already have, in case they want to make an offer of something not on my seeking list. Also the coin tracking list can keep track of my unactivated coins, and my non-trackable coins.

Edited by MustangJoni

Yeah, I thought I have stumbled on some coins that were trackable through other websites. Few and far between but I think I've seen one or two like that.

Thanks everyone.

I think, and I could be wrong, but Groundspeak didn't offer tracking to the general public in the early years. And I also believe that when they did, you had to buy 1000 tracking #s. So that made it quite expensive to make a trackable coin. So some groups created their own tracking systems, and I know the one on TXGA is still active.