People dont read the bugs instructions

KraftyCacher

I took the time to pick out an appropriate bug/coin and dropped it in the caribbean to go to dive sites. some bozo picked it up and brought it back to the states, matter of fact within 200 miles of where it started. there are clear instructions as to not pick it up unless you are going to take it to a dive site.

I emailed this guy to mail it back to me so I may replace it in the warm sun of the caribbean where it was meant to stay. no reply.

why pick up a TB if you have no intentions of following the directives on it?

I hear ya, I put a laminated tag on all my bugs that clearly show the goal/mission and somebody will still disregard the mission. I mean I don't mind if someone can't follow the goal to a T but when they take it a 500 plus miles in the opposite direction. :P

Such is the life of a travel bug. I huff about for a minute or two and then purposely forget about it, otherwise I might stop enjoy the travels. I think it's best to stay away from directional/location type goals. Less chance for disappointment that way.

Offering to pay for postage to return it is a good start. Give him some time to respond.

Many of my TBs have location goals, but they're not that important to me anymore, I've just listed them for the fun it adds to the TBs page. Although it will be cool if any actually reach the destinations. I've also stopped putting goal tags on mine. They just don't seem to work as well as I thought they would. After observing the seemingly random movements of TBs, I don't really expect many to stay on track.

OK, here's the scenario.

I load my pocket query, or more often than not, just add a bunch of waypoints to my GPS.

A week later, I head out caching. I'm driving down the road, and lo and behold there is a cache up ahead. Let's go for it! Oh look, a TB, I should move this along. I'll take it with me! La la la la la la on down the road we go, it's a long ride home. I get home. I log the TB as retrieved. And in a few days I'll go put it somewhere.

I still haven't read the TB page.

That's just one scenario. What we want, and what actually happens don't always go hand in hand. The more specific a goal you have, the less likely it is that the travel bug will actually follow it.

Also, the emails to people do not always get to them. Some people are blocked, and some providers don't let them through.

I took the time to pick out an appropriate bug/coin and dropped it in the caribbean to go to dive sites. some bozo picked it up and brought it back to the states, matter of fact within 200 miles of where it started. there are clear instructions as to not pick it up unless you are going to take it to a dive site.

I emailed this guy to mail it back to me so I may replace it in the warm sun of the caribbean where it was meant to stay. no reply.

Okay, my spider sense is tingling.

The bug in question was YOURS.... Right? If it wasn't then........

It's this part that really interests me:

there are clear instructions as to not pick it up unless you are going to take it to a dive site.

Who put those instructions there? You? The owner? IMO Instructions like these should ONLY come from an owner.

If you're the owner of the trackable in question then fine..... But if you are NOT the owner of this trackable then what business do YOU have calling the next person to possess the bug a BOZO? :P

Now, if you are the owner of the trackable, then it's awfully impolite to call someone that took the TIME to LOG and MOVE your bug properly and put miles on it for you a BOZO isn't it? ;)

Trackables are meant to travel..... right? Sheesh! My favorite refrain where TBs are concerned is the worst thing about trackables are the owners with unrealistic expectations. Well, except for the creepy interested (third) parties that hover over and email finders of a bug they've held in the past..... :blink::anicute::P

Great wisdom from a master TB finder:

"It's a web of life, in my opinion, and absolutely any movement is the next step in reaching it's goal. That weird side trip to Florida, may be the next step to Canada. And a side trip may have saved it from going MIA by pilferage in Pennsylvania."

bthomas on the subject of TB movement 10/27/2003

I'd be tickeled if that happened to a bug of mine. The real fun will be seeing if the bug gets back to a dive site on its own. It may be someplace even more interesting than the one you intended. :)

Edited by Snoogans

Is this the TB in question? If so, the page says to visit dive sites around the world, not only in the Caribbean.

Unless the instructions with the TB explicitly requested the TB remain in the Caribbean, I don't think you have much of a case.

I'm driving down the road, and lo and behold there is a cache up ahead. Let's go for it! Oh look, a TB, I should move this along. I'll take it with me! La la la la la la on down the road we go, it's a long ride home.

So, Eartha,

I guess the most important question here is... do you really go "la la la la la " as you go on down the road? Perhaps you can record it and post it on this website. (I definitely think this website needs the sound of people hunting for caches).

Edited by morninglori

I'm driving down the road, and lo and behold there is a cache up ahead. Let's go for it! Oh look, a TB, I should move this along. I'll take it with me! La la la la la la on down the road we go, it's a long ride home.

So, Eartha,

I guess the most important question here is... do you really go "la la la la la " as you go on down the road? Perhaps you can record it and post it on this website. (I definitely think this website needs the sound of people hunting for caches).

The acoustics in my car are really bad for recording sessions, as I always have the windows down. Don't expect that anytime soon from me. Sometimes I sing the words, "la la la la la" is for when I don't know them.

It can be substituted with lo lo lo, li li li, dumdeedum ditty dum, or hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Anyhow, I guess we should wait to hear from the OP about which TB is being discussed, if we're to offer any suggestions.

If that is the bug, it shows as being in the hands of the owner, with no logs yet.

Yes, odd. I supposed that the TB owner might have deleted the offending log and grabbed the TB again?

If this is not the TB in question, I don't know what is, because I looked at every other TB owned or found by KraftyCacher, and none mention anything about dive sites.

OK, here's the scenario.

I load my pocket query, or more often than not, just add a bunch of waypoints to my GPS.

A week later, I head out caching. I'm driving down the road, and lo and behold there is a cache up ahead. Let's go for it! Oh look, a TB, I should move this along. I'll take it with me! La la la la la la on down the road we go, it's a long ride home. I get home. I log the TB as retrieved. And in a few days I'll go put it somewhere.

That's just one scenario. What we want, and what actually happens don't always go hand in hand. The more specific a goal you have, the less likely it is that the travel bug will actually follow it.

Also, the emails to people do not always get to them. Some people are blocked, and some providers don't let them through.

OK, here's the scenario.

OK, here's the scenario.

Here's what I think, for what it is worth:

People spend time figuring a purpose for these bugs, so we can have fun.

The least we can do is read the mission

If we can help attain it's goal , GREAT, if not, then we DISCOVER the bug and leave it there. 2 seconds to read the purpose is not too much to ask. I say this because I have launched bugs in Florida, with the mission of making it home. Never heard of them again. Same story with some placed in Ontario. Now I just launch them and see where they end up.

This might be a global treasure hunt game, but it certainly shows up the real life stuff.

There are lots of people who dont' follow the rules! And it 'bugs' the hell out of those who do.

We're fairly new to the whole thing and have tried to do the right thing to make it enjoyable for other cachers. If we didn't think we could take the bugs where they were heading,we left them in the cache.

What we've noticed is that some people are just on a TB hunt. Even if the wishes of the bug are attached, they have an attack of "selective reading inability disorder", and grab the thing just so they can log another bug on their profile.

Personally we get our sense of self-worth from things more important than how many TBs or GC's we've got on our log.

This is after all a game! It's supposed to be fun. Something to add a new element to travel and sightseeing.

It just might be a bit more fun if people played in the right spirit.

This might be a global treasure hunt game, but it certainly shows up the real life stuff.

There are lots of people who dont' follow the rules! And it 'bugs' the hell out of those who do.

We're fairly new to the whole thing and have tried to do the right thing to make it enjoyable for other cachers. If we didn't think we could take the bugs where they were heading,we left them in the cache.

What we've noticed is that some people are just on a TB hunt. Even if the wishes of the bug are attached, they have an attack of "selective reading inability disorder", and grab the thing just so they can log another bug on their profile.

Personally we get our sense of self-worth from things more important than how many TBs or GC's we've got on our log.

This is after all a game! It's supposed to be fun. Something to add a new element to travel and sightseeing.

It just might be a bit more fun if people played in the right spirit.

It would be nice if everyone played by the rules (or even *knew* the rules), but since there are no real penalties for violating the rules and guidelines, there are always going to be people who ignore or flaunt them.

I've got two TBs out there that the mission was to visit a cache within 50 miles of both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. One made the Pacific at the mouth of the Columbia River, the other went to Bora Bora. The were reunited in Mississippi, went to a qualified cache in Florida, then attended an event in Alabama on the Gulf shore. Today, they both are still trying to get to the finish line, a cache near me where they started. I want my bears back!! (lol)

They will probably get new missions and have another race after a short rest.