Downloading gpx files

swelbergen

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to convert to paperless caching. I've attended a local seminar, and I have all the supporting materials, Palm and website directions to do so. However, I am having difficulty with my pocket queries and saving them to my computer. I receive my queries via email, however, when I save them, they save as "empty" files. I can find them in the folder that I save them to, but the always read 0kb. I tried dragging them over to my gpx spinner program anyways, just to see, but nothing happens. Any ideas? I'm starting to go crazy!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:unsure::D

What is being sent to you is a zipped file (usually) - are you unzipping it before trying to manipulate it?

I tried unzipping the file then moving them, and I've also tried sending the pocket query files "unzipped". For the unzipped query, I limited myself to only 10 caches to keep the file small. When I save them, however, I still don't have anything in the files... perplexing.

In the Pocket Query webpage for your PQ, go to the very bottom. The format should be .gpx, and click the next box to compress them into zip files.

When you get the files through email, save them with the .zip extension. If your computer saves it as something else, override whatever extension it used with .zip. Then use your favorite zip extractor. Note that GSAK will unzip the zip file and open the .gpx file in one step.

Hope this works, if not, I'm perplexed.

For MacCaching, I just drag the zip file directly from the email onto the MacCaching screen and everything unfolds for me right there on the screen.

Is that not how it works for the PC apps?

I haven't heard of MacCaching. I think I'll need to research it, as I've just set up a Mac Mini to use. However, I'm having difficulty hotsyncing my Palm using the Mac, so I also have my PC set up in the basement (for my husband's online gaming) that I'm still using for my Palm. It's rather inconvenient! Once I figure out the issues with my Palm on the Mac, I suppose I can try the MacCaching?

Hi everyone,

I've been trying to convert to paperless caching. I've attended a local seminar, and I have all the supporting materials, Palm and website directions to do so. However, I am having difficulty with my pocket queries and saving them to my computer. I receive my queries via email, however, when I save them, they save as "empty" files. I can find them in the folder that I save them to, but the always read 0kb. I tried dragging them over to my gpx spinner program anyways, just to see, but nothing happens. Any ideas? I'm starting to go crazy!! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

:huh:;)

Are you Previewing your Pocket Queries before selecting a day for them to run? Are there caches in that Preview? If there are, you should receive a .gpx file containing all of them. I wouldn't "waste" an emailed Pocket Query on one with only ten caches in it, although you can Preview your results for only ten caches to make sure you area getting the caches you expect to receive.

Here is how I set up one part of the PQ form:

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

The two biggest problems with empty PQs usually involve using "Home Coordinates" as a choice, along with a single State. Also, choosing any Attributes, or all of them, causes problems with PQ results. B)

Good Luck! B)

Hi everyone,

;)B)

Are you Previewing your Pocket Queries before selecting a day for them to run? Are there caches in that Preview? If there are, you should receive a .gpx file containing all of them. I wouldn't "waste" an emailed Pocket Query on one with only ten caches in it, although you can Preview your results for only ten caches to make sure you area getting the caches you expect to receive.

Here is how I set up one part of the PQ form:

2e19e8d7-5e21-4326-8cef-6327c29f2302.jpg

The two biggest problems with empty PQs usually involve using "Home Coordinates" as a choice, along with a single State. Also, choosing any Attributes, or all of them, causes problems with PQ results. B)

Good Luck! :huh:

Yes, I am able to preview them. I actually just tried using MacCaching on my Mac, to see if it is an issue with my PC. Believe it or not, it actually gave me the same message..."file empty". I wonder now if it is an issue with my email server, perhaps it's not importing or transmitting the files correctly? Currently Geocaching.com sends emails to my work address (as I do geocaching with my students) which I can access both at home and at work. I have it sent there as, due to firewalls, I am unable to access my personal email at work. Also, due to work email security, sometimes attachments don't work. I wonder if I have the PQs sent to my home email if I would have the same issues? :(