Trouble with Magellan Geocache Manager

bomb280

Is anyone having trouble with Magellan Geocache Manager working on Vista? All the features work fine on Vista except the most important one.....Transferring the caches to the GPSr!! I have tried to use the compatibility wizard and it doesn't work. When I go to Open on the File menu in the program, it sees my GPSr as a removable drive. When I try to upload the caches to the GPSr is says "there is no GPS connected". Magellan ViewPoint sees my GPSr also, but is is a new program. Is anyone else having this problem?

Don't even try to find the answer on Magellan's website.

Thanks

What works by far the best for me is Mapsend Lite. You can load a gpx file and save it as a Magellan format gs (either on the computer for later transfer or directly to the GPS). The advantage of Mapsend Lite is that you can see where the cache is on the map, view descriptions and the last 5 logs at the same time. I split my pocket queries into groups of <200 (as the Explorist can only have 200 caches open at one time) via custom Excel VBA code.

Maybe upgrade from Vista to XP?

Sorry, bad response, but i had to :unsure:

That would be my advice too... Microsoft OS's are basically betas until at least two "service packs" (nee bug fixes) come out. I have no plans for Vista. Why? XP is extremely stable, and has far less bugs, restrictions, and "digital rights management" crap incorporated into it. :D It's also the first reasonably stable version of Windows I've used over the last 20 years.

Edited by geowizerd

I don't know if this will help, but it links to a message on the Delorme boards where someone cites a discussion and solution for Vista not seeing his PN-20 USB connection. The discussion appeared to be about USB devices in general, so you should check it out.

Edit: I'm having difficulty displaying messages in that particular thread...but I think it's just me. To be on the safe side though, here are the relevant parts of his post:

If anyone else has this problem they can look at this link.

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost....82&SiteID=1

The magic Vista update that fixed the problem on my computer was:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Edited by embra

Is anyone having trouble with Magellan Geocache Manager working on Vista? All the features work fine on Vista except the most important one.....Transferring the caches to the GPSr!! I have tried to use the compatibility wizard and it doesn't work. When I go to Open on the File menu in the program, it sees my GPSr as a removable drive. When I try to upload the caches to the GPSr is says "there is no GPS connected". Magellan ViewPoint sees my GPSr also, but is is a new program. Is anyone else having this problem?

Don't even try to find the answer on Magellan's website.

Thanks

I have been able to load files onto my SD sard with a card reader with geocache manager without a problem.

If you have one of the Magellan explorist or Tritons you might try Magellans Vantage point, it is a free download from Magellan.

VP will not work with the older Magellans.