Geocaching in Cuba - are you allowed to take your GPSr?

scottpa100

Hi there,

going on holiday to Cuba in May. I'm trying to find clarification on whether it will be okay to take my GPSr and get a couple of caches. (Just as well, there are only a couple of caches in Cuba!). As GPS technology is a US technology, what is the likelyhood of my GPSr being seized, is it allowed etc?

Hope someone can advise - I've done a google, but not coming up with much.

All the best for 2008!

Scott

Greetings from Portugal!!

Hi all. Just to tell everyony my adventure. I went last week to CUBA for some summer hollidays with my girlfrined and, off course, I carried my Garmin. I was going to try to let a portuguese Geocoin in some cache in CUBA (visit link) When I'm out the plane in Varadero, I've pass the metal detector, but my GPS don't...

GPS Receivers are forbidden in the land of Fidel Castro!!

Off course if you carry them on the luggage and if you are lucky, you can enter the receiver in Cuba, but, even so, it's illegal to use them there. I had to pay 11,20 convertible pesos ( more or less the same in €) so I could bring my Garmin home again.

So, maybe Geocaching in Cuba it's not very "safe".

Best regards!!

João Lopes & Cristina Cruz

This is a copy from a log I've made in CUBA LIBRE.

Hope it helps...

Best regards!

A big thanks to João Lopes & Cristina Cruz! :P

I'll go with some maps and cache details but I won't take my GPSr. I know you got it back, but with the maps and things on it, it gets expensive to replace. Thanks for the feedback - just what I was after.

Very many thanks (Not heard anything yet from the Cuban embassy...)

Scott

Just to let you know the only cache you're probably likely to do is the one in Havana in the Hotel Nacional. This one is easily do-able with the very detailed hint - no need for a GPSr. There are some caches in Guantanamo (out of bounds) and 2 which are missing. I think there's one which is still there near Banes which you have to ask a local Cochero (horse-coach guy) for.

At least you'll get one!

We have just come back from a holiday in Cuba.I did not take my GPS but used my Samsung Tablet which I had loaded with pocket queries,

We had a very good taxi driver. He was not cheap but he was a good driver and he now knows all about geocaching. His name is Amilocar Socorro and his numbers are 53165484 car 76418176 home.