Travel Bug hotels or prisons?

SandTrotter

Are there any hard and fast rules concerning Travel Bug hotels versus other regular caches. I am seeing a few that have a take one, leave one rule, while some are fast movers, others have TB's that are staying in there for months because of geocachers not having a TB to trade in.

Isn't the purpose of a travel bug to move as often and quickly as possible to other locations?

Is it ethical for a geocache owner to make such rules for their hotels?

When I send out a TB I don't want it staying in a cache such as these I want it to move on asap.

Am I missing the point or are they?

I removed one that had been the cache for 3 months in order to help it along its journey, I did not have one at the time to trade in for it, but plan to go back with one to replace it asap. Is this wrong? :unsure:

It is always said here, that the cache owner makes the rules of there own cache. Sometimes they will delete your smiley if you don't abide to they rule of take one leave one.

True. And if an owner deleted my log because of it, I'd chastise them accordingly and move on. I'd gladly give up a smiley to respect the wishes of the owner of the TB over the cache owner. At least I'd be freeing the bug.

Am I missing the point or are they?

They are.

The bugger belongs to the person who paid for it, attached something to it and set it free.

If a cache it meant to be a TB Hotel, it should come about naturally, not by force. A well hidden cache in a high traffic area will see a lot of travelers (two legged ones with GPS' as well as the trackable kind) just b/c its a good spot. If a cache is in a spot that doesn't naturally see a lot of travelers, such that it would need a rule to have travelers there, it probably shouldn't have those rules.

Travel bugs are meant to travel, you can move them. They are a game piece within this game, and do not belong to the cache owner. There are dozens of threads by now on this subject, if you wish to refer them to the forums where the answer is always "Move the bugs, trade rules in caches do not apply to Travel Bugs".

Thank you all for your replies. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something I shouldn't be doing, since I am a new geocacher. I like to play by the rules as long as the rules are ethical ones. You all have confirmed what I thought, that the travel bug belongs to it's owner and no cache owner has the right to hold it hostage just so the cache stays full of travel bugs. Especially if they are not moving in and out very quickly. And I am not into to geocaching for smileys, so that doesn't bother me if someone wants to remove my smiley. lol

I hope my travel bugs never end up in a prison, and if they do I hope someone will do what I have done and get them moving again. Is there any way to include that with the travel bug instructions so that it won't offend someone who owns one of these so called travel bug hotels, or should I just forget it and hope for the best?

Thanks again... ;)

Is there any way to include that with the travel bug instructions so that it won't offend someone who owns one of these so called travel bug hotels, or should I just forget it and hope for the best?

Thanks again... ;)

You could add a note in the description but considering that these prisons are not that common I wouldn't worry about it.

Also, for your reading amusement:

Get Out of (TB) Jail Free

67f85eaa-9eec-4751-bfba-3e4da4f6c330.jpg

67f85eaa-9eec-4751-bfba-3e4da4f6c330.jpg

Priceless!! Thank you, BlueDeuce and the HermitCrabs.

Again, TBs are to travel, and no "prison" owner has the right to make rules concerning someone else's travel bug. We all appreciate someone placing a well-thought out cache for the pleasure of all, but what pleasure is derived from keeping a TB locked up endlessly due to an arbitrary rule. From what I have seen, TB hotels without rules seem to see more traffic anyway!

We are preparing to release our bug soon. We added a certain disclaimer about TB Hotels.

Cow Creek Critter's Page

I just wish I could figure out how to break the description into a couple of paragraphs.

Yes I think it is better to put the disclaimer on the bugs page. If you try to add a note to the cache log the cache owner will just delete it. Likewise a tag on the bug may mysteriously disappear while they are in the prison. On the bug page only the bug owner can change it.

Jim

Are there any hard and fast rules concerning Travel Bug hotels versus other regular caches. ...

My own rules of thumb for TB Hotels. Take them for what they are worth.

TB Hotels shold be located where TBs are easy to pick up and drop off.

They should be relativly secure so the odds are less that the cache will be MIA along with a dozen bugs.

Honor TB rules over TBH rules.

Honor TBH rules when you can.

Are there any hard and fast rules concerning Travel Bug hotels versus other regular caches. ...

My own rules of thumb for TB Hotels. Take them for what they are worth.

TB Hotels shold be located where TBs are easy to pick up and drop off.

They should be relativly secure so the odds are less that the cache will be MIA along with a dozen bugs.

Honor TB rules over TBH rules.

Honor TBH rules when you can.

Ayep.

Grow up. I deleted it as I didn't want others to follow suite. I could care less about what the "forums" say as they are all opinions, not "rule"! And you know what they say about opinions! The beauty of being an individual is that we are each free to be who we are. The beauty of being the one to place any travel bug hotel is that you are the one who can state the guidelines. After all, you and myself are the ones who perform the maint. on our cache hides. Shouldnt we have some control over the container since we are the one who put all the hard work into the hide and are the ones who need to take responsibility in assuring that it is there for people to enjoy.I personally like travel bug hotels to go and visit all kinds of different coins as well as to move them along where they are looking to go. Its a mixture of the two. I have from the start, only taken what I was able to replace with an equal amount or other bugs or coins. Again, even with the permission to take all of yours, I would take what I left only. This is me. Not you. Look at the other logs after where yours "use to be". See the logs and how they say you took them all. Like they couldn't believe it. Then the next person says "hotel hadno bugs" so he dropped one so I wouldn't need to put the vacancy sign on. See a pattern. Again, I am sorry that I hurt your feelings and deleted the log, but, I didn't want someone taking all the bugs, to be the standard when I ask politely and kindly in my cache page, to take what you can leave. Its not asking much nor have I had a single complaint from the other 217 people who have found the cache, in the short 9 months that it has been placed. Out of all those other people, you are the only one who took them all. I am gonna stick with my belief and my way of doing things, etiquette or not, which again, for this area, seems to be the standard way. Enjoy your eve. Biggie : )

--- On Wed, 2/20/08, Geocaching <noreply@geocaching.com> wrote:

Subject: [GEO] Tarklis contacting BiggieSmalls&Pnut from Geocaching.com

To: pbman8_3@yahoo.com

Date: Wednesday, February 20, 2008, 4:20 PM

Wow I can't understand your logic for deleting my entry to your TB Prison. I

have sent you a link to what I consider Travel Bug etiquette, as an owner of a

TB hotel myself, I would like to move as many bugs through my cache as

possible, If your in the area feel free to take all bugs from my cache as long

as you move them along all the better for the bugs. By deleting my log entry is

very juvenile, but hey not a problem its your cache. I will be posting your

letter on the TB forum so others can see what kind of prison your running.

Again thanks for deleting my log .

Tarklis

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=e4...b9-717daeb09a59

Just thought that I would post the above as I got a not so nice email from a guy who took all the bugs from the hotel I placed, when in the cache listing I asked for cachers, could take as many a they leave. Again, the honor system mentioned above. I removed his log from the cache as he stated that he took them all and I didnt want this to be the "standard" when I asked for an even up trade of items, so EVERYONE could enjoy the eitems in the cache, not just one person. I had 218 people visit my cahce in the few 9 months that it was up and running and believe me when I say, no travel bug lasted long in the cache! Thats 1 person per EVERY 1.05 days the cache was up and running. No "keeping the bugs moving" problem there is it? Keeping them there for others to view and enjoy is the only problem. This same person has a travel bug hotel, GC155YV, and in his listing states, "Take one .. Leave one if you can." Take one? Isnt that a rule? Which he was yelling at me for???

No person mentions in the above posts about the bugs that just want to move from cache to cache. No mission. Just moving when they get there. Those arent feverishly rushing to some "final mission". I have many, and though its cool to see how far that they go, I hope that its "less about the numbers", and more that people give a crap about the time that I took and put into that bug, and that they enjoy it as much as I did when I made it. Hope my reply made sense. Right, wrong, or indifferent, it should give at least one travel bug hotel owners opinion, who is FOR the take/trade method. Mark (BiggieSmalls&Pnut)

Edited by BiggieSmalls&Pnut

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

Apparently you haven't bothered to read this bug. Take the time, drink some coffee and then we'll have a discussion.

Certainly I have read the bug. I LOVE IT! Its a very cool idea. Again, every 1.05 days I had a visitor. No problem at all moving bugs/coins along. 217 loved the "guidelines" I posted, as they took what they left. 1 didnt. Not to go with the flow, and call me crazy, but, I`m sticking with the 217 who loved it. Biggie

If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel.

GREAT POINTS!! VERY WELL STATED!!! 10 people have found it in the 3 weeks after he cleaned it out, to DROP IN HIS HOTEL, and there are 6 coins/bugs back in the mix already. I would say again, I have no problem with traffic for my hotel. I question why he is continually dropping coins in his though? 27 times total to be exact!! I have not placed one back in my cache since the 3 that I started with in the beginning. Again, sounds like he is the one who is confused about this whole thing. My cache ---> GC12KPA . His cache --->GC155YV . The proof is in the logs : )

Apparently you haven't bothered to read this bug. Take the time, drink some coffee and then we'll have a discussion.

Certainly I have read the bug. I LOVE IT! Its a very cool idea. Again, every 1.05 days I had a visitor. No problem at all moving bugs/coins along. 217 loved the "guidelines" I posted, as they took what they left. 1 didnt. Not to go with the flow, and call me crazy, but, I`m sticking with the 217 who loved it. Biggie

Okay, well that seems to be contrary to you earlier post about about how your cache rule supersedes a bug mission and you are going to delete cacher finds. People love your cache and anybody who doesn't follow your rules are what....dirt?

Okay, well that seems to be contrary to you earlier post about about how your cache rule supersedes a bug mission and you are going to delete cacher finds. People love your cache and anybody who doesn't follow your rules are what....dirt?

Certainly not. And again I point you to where I say, the only reason that I deleted it is because I didnt want it to be the standard practice to my particular hotel. I placed the hotel in a high traffic area to keep them moving. Moving they are, as again, 218 logs in 9 months! They FLY outa that thing. But, again, 1 person out of all of those left it empty, so the mext person didnt enjoy it quite as much as the rest. Again, proof in the logs. If the bugs were in prison, I would have closed the hotel down and got the bugs to another cache or hotel as quickly as I possibly could have. The fact is, they were not. If I took the time to monitor the cache for 9 months, and am responsible enough to do that on a daily basis to make sure they move, couldnt he do as I ask for the 5 minutes he spent at my cache? the others did. would it have killed him? I hardly think not. Maybe left his own, empty yet another day is all.

Certainly not. And again I point you to where I say, the only reason that I deleted it is because I dodnt want it to be the standard practice to my particular hotel. I placed the hotel in a high traffic area to keep them moving. Moving they are, as again, 218 logs in 9 months! They FLY outa that thing. But, again, 1 person out of all of those left it empty, so the mext person didnt enjoy it quite as much as the rest. Again, proof in the logs. If the bugs were in prison, I would have closed the hotel down and got the bugs to another cache or hotel as quickly as I possibly could have. The fact is, they were not. If I took the time to monitor the cache for 9 months, and am responsible enough to do that on a daily basis to make sure they move, couldnt he do as I ask for the 5 minutes he spent at m cache? the others did

Well, if you want to take issue with that other cacher here don't make it personal. Good way of taking a forum vacation. Otherwise I'll be happy to talk hotels.

I'm not really interested in your take on how happy other cacher were to be able to move bugs from your cache without getting their found it logs deleted.

Quite an assumption that more bugs couldn't have been helped. :)

Yeah.

GREAT POINTS!! VERY WELL STATED!!! 10 people have found it in the 3 weeks after he cleaned it out, to DROP IN HIS HOTEL, and there are 6 coins/bugs back in the mix already. I would say again, I have no problem with traffic for my hotel. I question why he is continually dropping coins in his though? 27 times total to be exact!! I have not placed one back in my cache since the 3 that I started with in the beginning. Again, sounds like he is the one who is confused about this whole thing. My cache ---> GC12KPA . His cache --->GC155YV . The proof is in the logs : )

I'd say the people restocking the cache aren't doing any bug owner a favor.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I have placed a travel bug hotel in a very easy access area and have asked everyone to please follow the take one leave one rule. The reason I have done this is I have spent a lot of money in creating and stocking the cache to start with and want it to remain a TB Hotel not just a cache. That way there will be TB's for others to discover as well as move.

The upsetting part for me was when I read a log that a fellow cacher had cleaned out my hotel and left nothing. I checked his profile to see that he only has purchased 2 of his own TB's but has moved lot's of them.

I don't want my hotel to be a prison and won't allow it to become one but I do want TB's in it and moving through it! Everyone that came behind this guy thinking there were bugs found nothing. So you have to think a little about the cacher that is following you.

I have placed a travel bug hotel in a very easy access area and have asked everyone to please follow the take one leave one rule. The reason I have done this is I have spent a lot of money in creating and stocking the cache to start with and want it to remain a TB Hotel not just a cache. That way there will be TB's for others to discover as well as move.

The upsetting part for me was when I read a log that a fellow cacher had cleaned out my hotel and left nothing. I checked his profile to see that he only has purchased 2 of his own TB's but has moved lot's of them.

I don't want my hotel to be a prison and won't allow it to become one but I do want TB's in it and moving through it! Everyone that came behind this guy thinking there were bugs found nothing. So you have to think a little about the cacher that is following you.

See the problem is that I spent a lot of time and money on my bugs and it isn't fair that some cache owner decides how my bugs should be handled. The point of a hotel to to get bugs moving, not keep a bunch in limbo until someone meets your rules.

QUOTE(the hermit crabs @ Dec 2 2005, 02:10 PM) *

Shouldnt we have some control over the container since we are the one who put all the hard work into the hide and are the ones who need to take responsibility in assuring that it is there for people to enjoy.

You absolutely should have control of the container. That is where it ends. Your cache, not your TB's.

Plain and simple:

The Travel Bugs aren't yours!

I hope every cacher takes all of the bugs in that cache and never leaves any. I hope they do this regularly. I know i would.

It doesn't matter how often they move. You are in the wrong here. Check with the community of your peers on this...

Shouldnt we have some control over the container since we are the one who put all the hard work into the hide and are the ones who need to take responsibility in assuring that it is there for people to enjoy.

You absolutely should have control of the container. That is where it ends. Your cache, not your TB's.

Plain and simple:

I hope every cacher takes all of the bugs in that cache and never leaves any. I hope they do this regularly. I know i would.

It doesn't matter how often they move. You are in the wrong here. Check with the community of your peers on this...

I understand the costs of bugs as I have spent a small fortune to try and keep some trackables in my hotel for others to discover and also move. The problem I have is not with a person that moves a bug. It is with the person who never replaces a bug but is more than happy to take all of them out of the hotel. I don't let bugs set in the hotel for an indefinite period!

It isn't a hotel if there aren't any bugs in it, you know? That is what I wanted to set up a "hotel" not a plain cache!

It is set up for a place for cachers to exchange bugs.

Plain and simple:

I understand the costs of bugs as I have spent a small fortune to try and keep some trackables in my hotel for others to discover and also move. The problem I have is not with a person that moves a bug. It is with the person who never replaces a bug but is more than happy to take all of them out of the hotel. I don't let bugs set in the hotel for an indefinite period!

It isn't a hotel if there aren't any bugs in it, you know? That is what I wanted to set up a "hotel" not a plain cache!

I spent good money for the ammo can, concrete block that house the ammo can, the chain and lock that keeps the ammo can in the block enclosure, have a security camera in place to keep any muggles from stealing your bugs... or my hotel, so you can have access to this hotel any time day or night rain or shine, open to the little cachers as well as the big ones and if you have a problem with the combo lock on the can just knock on the door and I will come open it for you. So you can discover other bugs and move a bug or drop a bug but if cachers that don't buy any of their own bugs just want to come and take everything out all the time and leave nothing for their fellow cacher to enjoy and move then I can just shut it down. Then there is no secure hotel to move the bugs through and you can try and place your bugs in one of them micros that seem to be about the only caches being put out now!

I got tired of the Prison Wars and have stayed out of them for a while, fearing that I'd snap and break some anti-name-calling forum guidelines and be banned from the forums forever... but right now I'm feeling very grumpy and I'm too tired to realize that this is the point where I'm just supposed to roll my eyes and skip on to another topic. So against tomorrow morning's better judgment, I'll respond.

Here's a solution for you.

Buy some bugs. Put them in your "hotel". Attach them with chains or Superglue. Include tags that say "FOR DISCOVERY ONLY".

This way, everyone gets what they want:

Your hotel is never empty.

There's always something for people to Discover.

And most importantly, MY bugs are never imprisoned there.

I just can't understand why you think it's okay for you to go to some "plain" caches where MY travel busg are sitting, and take them without anyone telling you can't -- but suddenly just because you drop them into your "hotel", YOU can tell everyone else that they can't touch MY bugs, unless they have hostages to exchange for them.

Grrrrrrr. Now I have to go kick something.

A few points to consider. Travel bugs are not trade items. No one is required to leave a bug just to be able to move one. We're not talking trade up or trade even or don't trade at all. Bugs are a different game. Travel bugs are meant to move, not be traded.

A hotel is still a hotel even if the guest isn't currently checked in. The hermit crabs said it so well that I've been quoting it for the last three years. "The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly."

Travel bug hotels should be placed to allow travel bugs to be moved in a timely manner. Hotels are not 'bird feeders'. It isn't your job to give my bug to the cacher who comes to your cache. Especially when they have to bring someone else's birdseed as a replacement. <_<

Edited by BlueDeuce

I got tired of the Prison Wars and have stayed out of them for a while, fearing that I'd snap and break some anti-name-calling forum guidelines and be banned from the forums forever... but right now I'm feeling very grumpy and I'm too tired to realize that this is the point where I'm just supposed to roll my eyes and skip on to another topic. So against tomorrow morning's better judgment, I'll respond.

Here's a solution for you.

Buy some bugs. Put them in your "hotel". Attach them with chains or Superglue. Include tags that say "FOR DISCOVERY ONLY".

This way, everyone gets what they want:

Your hotel is never empty.

There's always something for people to Discover.

And most importantly, MY bugs are never imprisoned there.

I just can't understand why you think it's okay for you to go to some "plain" caches where MY travel busg are sitting, and take them without anyone telling you can't -- but suddenly just because you drop them into your "hotel", YOU can tell everyone else that they can't touch MY bugs, unless they have hostages to exchange for them.

Grrrrrrr. Now I have to go kick something.

You aren't listening to what I am saying. I want the bugs to move and will see that they do and do not sit in the hotel forever ALRIGHT? I just get tired of the guy that that takes everything out of the hotel. Why do they think that just because it is a hotel that they have to take everything?????? If you want to move a bug without leaving one fine. Take a bug and move it (unlike some that hide them in the cache junk bag for months , like where some of mine have wound up!) but don't take them ALL!!!!! Thats all I am asking.

You aren't listening to what I am saying. I want the bugs to move and will see that they do and do not sit in the hotel forever ALRIGHT? I just get tired of the guy that that takes everything out of the hotel. Why do they think that just because it is a hotel that they have to take everything?????? If you want to move a bug without leaving one fine. Take a bug and move it (unlike some that hide them in the cache junk bag for months , like where some of mine have wound up!) but don't take them ALL!!!!! Thats all I am asking.

but don't take them ALL!!!!!

Why not? Obviously the guy wanted to prevent the bugs from sitting in a prison, but do you honestly think there is a bug owner who would say please don't move my bug because it's sitting in a trade-rule cache?

Junk bags and prisons might be considered the same place. I'll take my chances with the one that doesn't attempt to limit every cacher and bug coming the the cache site. You know why? Because it's my bug, not yours.

Edited by BlueDeuce
You aren't listening to what I am saying.

I heard you, all right. You just aren't making any sense.

I want the bugs to move

The best way to get them to move is to not place restrictions on who can move them. How hard is that for you to understand?

I just get tired of the guy that that takes everything out of the hotel. Why do they think that just because it is a hotel that they have to take everything??????

Probably because they know that travel bugs are not trade items, and they are trying to free the bugs from your ridiculous "one for one" trade policy. Maybe if you got rid of that rule, no one would feel the need to take them all.

Click this link and read it, in detail.

done did and I don't think it applies to my hotel. I haven't had a bug stay in it for more than a week and a half!

I check this on a daily basis and will move them myself if they are hanging out too long.

Shouldn't require extra effort.

"The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly."