Just Trying to Get Going!

I'm fairly new to the sport, but I would like to do more. I registered a long time before I actually went after my first cache, now I'm hooked and want to do more. My husband is currently working out of state, so I need something to keep me occupied. I do not have a premium membership for many reasons, but I will soon!

I have:

eTrex Legend

TomTom One

Tablet PC with OneNote

GSAK (though I don't quite understand it yet and want to wait until I can get a premium membership)

iPod Video

Dog

I would love to go paperless, which I think I can do with either the iPod or my tablet though the tablet would never go out into the field with me. I am up for getting a new phone in April and I think I'm getting some sort of "smart phone" or whatever AT&T calls them.

I would really love some guidance or suggestions of what I can do with what I have.

Does anyone do paperless with an iPod? I really don't understand how to use it, partly because its never worked right, but how do I go about it?

TIA!

We started out with an etrex legend & Ipod. As you probably know, without a premium membership & pocket queries, you're pretty much stuck with either sending waypoints to your gps one at a time, or downloading GPX eXchange Files one at a time to open with Gsak. I found a topic here describing how to use an Ipod to go paperless & it worked great. Since then, I've pasted links on several related threads, the latest one here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=178927&hl=

Scroll down to my second response on the first page (not quite halfway down the page) to find the description & links to more detailed step by step setup instructions. The Ipod works great for geocaching :(

We started out with an etrex legend & Ipod. As you probably know, without a premium membership & pocket queries, you're pretty much stuck with either sending waypoints to your gps one at a time, or downloading GPX eXchange Files one at a time to open with Gsak. I found a topic here describing how to use an Ipod to go paperless & it worked great. Since then, I've pasted links on several related threads, the latest one here: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=178927&hl=

Scroll down to my second response on the first page (not quite halfway down the page) to find the description & links to more detailed step by step setup instructions. The Ipod works great for geocaching :(

Thanks for the help! Can I upload my points with GSAK now then update them once I get the premium membership or do I have to remove them and re-upload? I don't plan on doing anything with the iPod for a while. About how many caches can you get into your iPod? My 60gb is almost full, but I plan on cutting back on some of my music! I am still looking for ways to use my tablet, but I'll have to think a little harder!

Thanks for the help! Can I upload my points with GSAK now then update them once I get the premium membership or do I have to remove them and re-upload? I don't plan on doing anything with the iPod for a while. About how many caches can you get into your iPod? My 60gb is almost full, but I plan on cutting back on some of my music! I am still looking for ways to use my tablet, but I'll have to think a little harder!

I'm pretty sure that GSAK "updates" cache listings that you have previously imported when you import them a second time. Sometimes I just clear everything from GSAK & import a whole new set of PQ's & sometimes I just re-run a single PQ and import it. When I do the latter, caches that I have found since the last import turn up marked "found" in GASK so I know at least that info is "updated".

The contact file that is generated & exported to an Ipod is pretty small. When I send 500 cache listings ("contacts") to the Ipod, it seems like the file is only about 150kb. You could send 6,000+ contacts and only use about 1 megabyte of storage space, which I'm sure that you are aware, is only a tiny fraction of a gigabyte.