What Swag Will Entice You to My Geocache?

Decoski

This Spring, I am going to plant my third geocache. It will be a challenging, although short, hike as there is barely one way to get there without climbing steep rocks and thick brush on a steep slope. My fear is that because of the challenge and the relatively remote location in the Sierra Nevada Mts., maybe only one person will even bother going after it. My question is the following: What are some good swag to put in the cache that will entice people to take on the challenge? I'm not advocating anything too expensive (over $20), mind you, but something worth going after. Right now, all I have is a FTF paper certificate I copied off of the geocache U site.

For a Harder Cache...I have put in a $20 resturant certificate.

For an easier Cache, I've put in an Unregistered TB.

But a FTF certificate is fine....also, on the Cache Page....list their name as the FTF.

Example:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...7a-56cef592ae5c

However...If you place it...they will come....FTF prize or not.

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

This Spring, I am going to plant my third geocache. It will be a challenging, although short, hike as there is barely one way to get there without climbing steep rocks and thick brush on a steep slope. My fear is that because of the challenge and the relatively remote location in the Sierra Nevada Mts., maybe only one person will even bother going after it. My question is the following: What are some good swag to put in the cache that will entice people to take on the challenge? I'm not advocating anything too expensive (over $20), mind you, but something worth going after. Right now, all I have is a FTF paper certificate I copied off of the geocache U site.

A FTF prize is nice but for out of the way caches I generally look at the quality of the cache page. If some time went into making the cache page look nice then I figure the same consideration went into the cache location and placement. Enjoying the hike and scenery is just as or more important to allot of cachers as to what we find in the cache.

Personally, I never consider the swag when going after a cache. It's all about what I want to do that day and what I have the time and energy for.

For us, it's not about the swag at all. 99.9% of the time, we don't trade swag. It's just about the find, the location, and getting out of the house.

I'd agree with previous posts that the challenge of the cache and making it look attractive on the cache page will intice alot of visitors, A FTF prize will only attract people on the first day or until it is found!

Saying that, an unactivated geocoin would be a nice FTF prize that isn't too expensive.

You got my interest when you said "a challenging, although short, hike as there is barely one way to get there without climbing steep rocks and thick brush on a steep slope."

I would go for this one at a moment's notice if it were in my area.

If you were REALLY trying to lure me out into the middle of no where to find an ammo can, a geocoin or interesting TB would just be an extra incentive, but the most appealing aspect of it is the hike and the hunt and the great outdoors.

I don't trade at caches. If my boy is with me, he loves McToys. You know, those things every likes to act are sooooo horrible to place in a cache. Kids love em. I always put a few McToys or cars, or dinos or something like that in my caches for the kids.

I don't think they complain because there are McToys in a cache, they complain when the McToy is the best item in the cache. :)

I don't generally trade either but if it's a nice coin I can't find just anywhere it gets my notice.

I never consider swag contents when deciding whether to seek a cache. I pick and choose the caches which I will hunt (usually only three per month, at most, unless I am traveling in a state or country which I have never visited before), based only upon how interesting the cache is and upon the Terrain level; I prefer high Terrain rating caches, the higher the better. And, in distinct contrast to Sue, I NEVER (with three rare exceptions) hunt puzzle caches; I HATE solving puzzles.

However, since you have raised the issue of swag, particularly swag for FTF finders, we have occasionally offered, for our more extreme Psycho caches, rather pricey FTF prizes, not for the purpose of attracting finders, but rather for the purpose of rewarding the first finders for their immense (and sometimes insane) effort. For example, for our 5/5 rated Psycho Urban Cache #13 - Impossible! Give Up Now!, the FTF prize was $160 cash, an unregistered geocoin, and an imprinted Psycho Urban Cache T-shirt, and the 2TF and 3TF prizes were $20 cash and an imprinted T-shirt.

You got my interest when you said "a challenging, although short, hike as there is barely one way to get there without climbing steep rocks and thick brush on a steep slope."

I would go for this one at a moment's notice if it were in my area.

If you were REALLY trying to lure me out into the middle of no where to find an ammo can, a geocoin or interesting TB would just be an extra incentive, but the most appealing aspect of it is the hike and the hunt and the great outdoors.

This almost the same answer I would give. The hike , view, or challenge is what it is about for me.

A nice cache page is good too but for some like me it is almost beyond our capability.

I'd agree with previous posts that the challenge of the cache and making it look attractive on the cache page will entice a lot of visitors; a FTF prize will only attract people on the first day or until it is found!

Saying that, an unactivated geocoin would be a nice FTF prize that isn't too expensive.

I echo these sentiments. Most people consider the simple thrill of the hunt much more than they care for what they take from the cache. If you still feel compelled to leave something nice for the FTF, I'd say to keep it under $10 at most, but put a bit of thought into it. Small-denomination gift cards to nearby restaurants are a good idea. The only FTF prize I've accepted so far was a nice pair of hiking socks; you can easily buy three packaged pairs for ten bucks and you'd be set for the next three containers you place. I'd also like to add that the FTF hunters I know will often trade in kind as far as value, leaving a fair amount of less expensive trinkets in place of the more valuable single treasure they take.

I've given up worrying about enticing people. Okay, I have one that hasn't been found in ten months. It should make the local 'missing' list soon. :) My favorite has not been found since last June. Oh, well. It has a red Jeep in it!

If I were worried about 'caching karma' or lots of finds on my caches, I'd put out lamp post micros. (Okay. I do have a few of those...) Nope. I put out caches in places that I enjoy, and want other people to experience. If you don't want a nice two-mile hike, go hunt the lamp post caches. If you want a nice, pretty hike, I've got a few of those. My QC department has rigid standards. I found a great spot, with historical significance. QC put two paws down, because it is an ugly spot. Oh, well.

Be true to yourself.