Magellan Crossover GPS and MapSend Software

petepope

Hi all,

I am in need of some help. I just bought a Magellan Crosover GPS 2500T.

They say it can't use my MapSend Topo Map software, that you have to buy SD cards with the software on them.

I have heard that you really can use the Topo software if done correctly, excpet I can't find out how to do it.

I have MapSend Topo, USA Version 4.20D, it was for the 330 series gps.

I have tried to put a selected topo region on my SD card, but the unit doesn't see the file. I suspect that the files must be named a certain way, or in a certain directory structure but I can't find anything out about it yet.

Does anyone know exactly how to do this and the exact steps I need to do to access the topos that I put on the SD card ?

If you can assist me with this please help ! I really need more detail than what's on there and other than this issue and the fact that I can't zoom in closer than 200 feet in outdoor mode, this is an otherwise GREAT product.

Please leave instructions here or contact me at: petepope@yahoo.com

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

I'm not using any detailed topo maps, but I just read the Magellan site and it says "Add optional detailed regional MapSend® Topo(1) topographic maps..." with a footnote that says "Available 2007". Since the newer GPS units serialize their detailed maps, I would guess that the older Mapsend products won't be compatible with this unit. It looks like you'll have to buy their latest Topo maps. Their Maps link only has Topo Canada, France, Mexico and Norway. I don't see a USA.

JetSkier

Pete,

I'm not using any detailed topo maps, but I just read the Magellan site and it says "Add optional detailed regional MapSend® Topo(1) topographic maps..." with a footnote that says "Available 2007". Since the newer GPS units serialize their detailed maps, I would guess that the older Mapsend products won't be compatible with this unit. It looks like you'll have to buy their latest Topo maps. Their Maps link only has Topo Canada, France, Mexico and Norway. I don't see a USA.

JetSkier

I just found this on the Magellan Website, concerning maps, of which I am concerned with the topo for US.

This would make me think that my MapSend Top that I own should work, except for it not generating a serial number when the region is saved. The post from Magellan is below.

Any Ideas ?

Oh, here's the link where I found the support information that is posted below.

http://www.magellangps.com/support/products/crossover_sd.asp

Support

Requirements to download maps/charts from MagellanGPS.com or MyMagellanGPS.com for use on the Magellan® CrossoverGPS™

SD Memory Card - A 512Mb SD memory card or larger is ideal as you may decide later to load more than one map/chart.

PC & SD Card Reader/Writer - Windows 2000 or XP PC equipped with the ability to read SD cards through a built-in card reader/writer, or an external SD card reader/writer.

Internet Connection - high speed connection recommended for faster download times

Detailed instruction is included in the downloaded file. (Below you can view the basic flow of the process)

Download and save the file from the Magellan website to your computer's desktop.

Transfer the map/chart file from the PC to the SD memory card, using the SD card reader/writer.

If your PC has a SD card reader/writer built-in for SD/MMC memory cards, then an external card reader/writer is not required to copy the map to the SD card.

If your PC does not have a SD card reader/writer built-in, then an external SD card reader/writer is required to copy the map the SD card. A SD card reader/writer can be purchased at your local electronics retail store.

Remove the SD card from the PC or external SD card reader/writer and insert it into the CrossoverGPS.

Pete,

I just tried to upload a map file from my Mapsend Topo USA. The unit did some really strange things. I copied the .img file to my SD card and inserted it into the Crossover. When I entered Outdoor mode and went into the Map, I no longer had detailed streets. I had to go into the "Regions" button and re-select the USA detailed map. It's as if the unit recognized the .img file enough to detatch my current detailed map but not enough to load it. Given this, I don't think the older Mapsend products are compatible with the Crossover.

JetSkier (Joe)

Pete,

I just tried to upload a map file from my Mapsend Topo USA. The unit did some really strange things. I copied the .img file to my SD card and inserted it into the Crossover. When I entered Outdoor mode and went into the Map, I no longer had detailed streets. I had to go into the "Regions" button and re-select the USA detailed map. It's as if the unit recognized the .img file enough to detatch my current detailed map but not enough to load it. Given this, I don't think the older Mapsend products are compatible with the Crossover.

JetSkier (Joe)

JetSkier,

I just did the same thing on my lunch hour and it appeared to act the very same way. They must have changed something in the new topo software. Looks like they have us for another purchase....I guess it keeps companies in business.

Do you know for sure yet what topo version we need to work with the Crossover and other Magellan products that won't recognize our current software ?

Thanks for all your help,

Pete

Pete,

The Magellan website doesn't even list Topo USA. I'm not sure what you would need. I live in Florida so the level of topo detail in the basemaps is enough for me. You may have to fill in their support request form and ask which Topo maps are compatible. I know the new Triton series is compatible with the National Geographic Topos, but I'm not sure if the Crossover is.

JetSkier

Pete,

The Magellan website doesn't even list Topo USA. I'm not sure what you would need. I live in Florida so the level of topo detail in the basemaps is enough for me. You may have to fill in their support request form and ask which Topo maps are compatible. I know the new Triton series is compatible with the National Geographic Topos, but I'm not sure if the Crossover is.

JetSkier

I have used the CD versions of Topo Canada and DirectRoute Europe with my Crossover which Magellan claims won't work (BS).

When you create your map regions in Topo 3D USA do you save the region to the Harddrive and when you do does it process the region before (asking for your GPS s/n)?

Do you have the option of creating an xxxxx.imi file instead of an xxxxx.img file. The " .imi" file is compatible with the crossover outdoor app. Look on your CD and see if there is a separate converter program to convert a region from " .img" to " .imi". I read somewhere that some older M Gps's come with this conversion program on their software CD and runs on the PC. If any of you have it I wouldn't mind a copy. I know it wasn't on my Crossover CD. ezeechair@rogers.com

Bu the way I believe they are working away from providing maps on CD. There is more money to be made and easier to control the use of the product via SD/card purchase or regional downloads of the finialized region map product.

So if you still can buy or download the CD or ISO images of their products off the Internet before they disappear. Even if you currently don't plan on visiting Canada or Europe you will have that for the future.

Edited by jlg234

Pete,

JetSkier

I've already told petepope that in his similar posting

Map Send Topo 3D - Help Needed for Compatability

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=181471&hl=

but apparently he has found some unnamed people, "They say..." who say otherwise.

I'd say, if you can't select "Magellan Crossover" in MapSend as your GPS then you can't be sure that anything is compatable between it and other Magellan er/ah Meridian GPS's.

Pete,

JetSkier

I've already told petepope that in his similar posting

Map Send Topo 3D - Help Needed for Compatability

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=181471&hl=

but apparently he has found some unnamed people, "They say..." who say otherwise.

I'd say, if you can't select "Magellan Crossover" in MapSend as your GPS then you can't be sure that anything is compatable between it and other Magellan er/ah Meridian GPS's.

I believe it would be against copyright law if you provide a large useable map of his area but just providing a smidget for the test especially of an area away from his home region should be okay - anyways - any helpers could just go offline and provide him with the test material. (yes still enfingement but not as bad bad as borrowing someone elses music CD).

As for using Mapsend CD products with the Crossover - it works with Topo Canada and Direct Route Europe as I have these.

Anyone want a sample?