January 3, 2008 - Wherigo.com

ReadyOrNot

They bumped up the release date again! I'm very excited about the new site, but want to make sure I have all the hardware necessary. I've got a Dell Axim handheld (windows).

What are the hardware requirements?

What are the software requirements?

Is there a cost associated with the software?

Is there going to be a cost associated with the site?

Is it going to be incorporated into Groundspeak?

Wherigo just seems like too much work to really take off. The PDA requirement is just too much.

I'd rather Groundspeak focus on geocaching, maintaining the web site (BUG FIXING) as well as adding requested new features.

Already use a PDA for geocaching.

What is the specific requirement?

I'm game. its only three days away.

I want to see if I can build a guided tour like they have been talking about. I wonder how complicated that will be.

Already use a PDA for geocaching.

What is the specific requirement?

PocketPC with GPS unit integrated only.

I have a palm PDA too for geocaching, but it needs a "GPS enabled handheld device".

I could buy another GPS which goes in my palm but that's just too much.

geocaching took off because it's so simple. Buy a gps, plug in the numbers, go find it.

Wherigo sounds fun, but it is complicated.

-Ben

I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed. When I played with it before, it was just a bit complicated, but they took it down before I really had a chance to figure it out. I'm guessing now it'll be available on other platforms besides the pocket pc. It seems to me more geocachers are using palms than pcc's, so that'd be a really good thing.

I'm looking forward to seeing what's changed. When I played with it before, it was just a bit complicated, but they took it down before I really had a chance to figure it out. I'm guessing now it'll be available on other platforms besides the pocket pc. It seems to me more geocachers are using palms than pcc's, so that'd be a really good thing.

That would be nice for those of us who already are kinda palm-centered.

I notice some people mentioning Palm. The website says that right now it work with PocketPC. Don't expect there to be a Palm version right away. The website says that the programs are written in C so that means that it should be relatively easy to convert to other OSes. Also since it works with PocketPC and PocketPCs use the Windows Mobile OS I assume that it will also work on any GPS enabled cell phone that use the Windows Mobile OS. That will open up the website to a lot more users. Anyone with a GPS enabled smart phone should be able to use Wherigo.com!

All hooking your GPS up to your PocketPC does is provide your PocketPC a constant stream of position information. Thats all it does. You should still be able to all the functions on your GPS normally. The only difference you should ever notice is the cable running from your GPS to your PocketPC and that is it.

You won't need to learn any scripting language if all you want to do is download modules (or whatever they call them) and play the games, go on the tour, etc. You will have to learn to use a scripting language to make the modules that people download. The language is called Lua and you can read more about at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

I notice some people mentioning Palm. The website says that right now it work with PocketPC. Don't expect there to be a Palm version right away. The website says that the programs are written in C so that means that it should be relatively easy to convert to other OSes. Also since it works with PocketPC and PocketPCs use the Windows Mobile OS I assume that it will also work on any GPS enabled cell phone that use the Windows Mobile OS. That will open up the website to a lot more users. Anyone with a GPS enabled smart phone should be able to use Wherigo.com!

All hooking your GPS up to your PocketPC does is provide your PocketPC a constant stream of position information. Thats all it does. You should still be able to all the functions on your GPS normally. The only difference you should ever notice is the cable running from your GPS to your PocketPC and that is it.

You won't need to learn any scripting language if all you want to do is download modules (or whatever they call them) and play the games, go on the tour, etc. You will have to learn to use a scripting language to make the modules that people download. The language is called Lua and you can read more about at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lua_(programming_language)

I don't think you'll need to learn Lua to make a cartridge, at least I hope not! last time, they had a nice Builder program you used to make one.

I don't think you'll need to learn Lua to make a cartridge, at least I hope not! last time, they had a nice Builder program you used to make one.

The website says adding Lua language. So I guess that means if you want more control than what the builder can give you you can program it in Lua too. I wonder if the builder is based on Lua.

I can say that it was tested in Seattle. There was testing in other areas, but I don't know if I am at liberty to say where. Since Jeremy said that V2 would integrate Geocaching and Waymarking, my guess is that it would be eventually integrated too. Just a guess though.

When I was trying to do my 50/50 cache (GC13PX5)...I had created MP3/wav files to be down loaded to an MP3 player...so someone could listen to instructions for the Mystery Cache.

I was told that was not allowed (this was even a discussion in an old thread)....because of rule changes (I think they said 02/2007) that did not alllow "Required" downloadable files....and in order to do the cache, an "Alternate" method had to be available.

So, I scrapped that PODCACHE idea and just had a readable instruction sheet for someone to follow.

I Tried the "Wherigo.com" site and got (I have been Black Listed"):

You are not authorized to view this page

The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 403.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Security, Limiting Access by IP Address, IP Address Access Restrictions, and About Custom Error Messages.

Edited by Drooling_Mongoloid

I Tried the "Wherigo.com" site and got (I have been Black Listed"):

You are not authorized to view this page

The Web server you are attempting to reach has a list of IP addresses that are not allowed to access the Web site, and the IP address of your browsing computer is on this list.

Please try the following:

Contact the Web site administrator if you believe you should be able to view this directory or page.

HTTP Error 403.6 - Forbidden: IP address of the client has been rejected.

Internet Information Services (IIS)

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Go to Microsoft Product Support Services and perform a title search for the words HTTP and 403.

Open IIS Help, which is accessible in IIS Manager (inetmgr), and search for topics titled About Security, Limiting Access by IP Address, IP Address Access Restrictions, and About Custom Error Messages.

We're in the final stages of testing so the site is in production but we had to restrict IP addresses to within the office only. Hang in there, it's almost ready!

I just downloaded the player for my XV6700

Installed fine (though appears to have installed on my device instead of on the storage card as I told it to)

First error - Out Of Memory

Cleaned out internet cache and stopped all running programs - this is when I noticed my device memory was lower

Second error - No GPS device

Turned on bluetooth and Delorme BT-20

w00t, everything launched fine, but since I'm stuck at my desk, can't play the tutorial. WHAAAAAA :anicute::anibad::anibad:

I just downloaded the player for my XV6700

Installed fine (though appears to have installed on my device instead of on the storage card as I told it to)

First error - Out Of Memory

Cleaned out internet cache and stopped all running programs - this is when I noticed my device memory was lower

Second error - No GPS device

Turned on bluetooth and Delorme BT-20

w00t, everything launched fine, but since I'm stuck at my desk, can't play the tutorial. WHAAAAAA :anicute::anibad::anibad:

You can install the Wherigo Builder and there is a built-in emulator where you can try out a cartridge. The problem is many of the experiences require you to physically go to the location to answer the questions.

You can install the Wherigo Builder and there is a built-in emulator where you can try out a cartridge. The problem is many of the experiences require you to physically go to the location to answer the questions.

What, I can't play an outdoor game inside a cinder block building?? Shucks! :anicute:

Trust me, as soon as there's sky above me, I'll be checking this out. I'm excited and the fact that you guys added "You are likely to be eaten by a grue." to the Learn More page made it all the more appealing.