Getting permission to place a cashe

Royalott

this is something that upsets me a bit. This is an addition to the post down below but it is getting too dang long. I decided to speak my mind up here :blink:

This is a new hobby, less than ten years old and I would just hate to see it go the way of another hobby of mine, metal detecting.

I have metal detected for about 15 years and because of lazy or thoughtless people there are many places that are off limits to us. I always ask permission and always fill my holes and groom the area. Always have and always will.

There are places that are off limits to me and others with my attitude because of a few lazy clowns that ruin it for us. There are those that will not fill holes and think nothing of trespassing on others property to dig.

I have seen people come to metal detecting forum and ASK us how to hunt a place that is off limits! Ask US how to trespass and destroy our hobby. There are some that told them ways to do it too!! What disgusting people. I told one clown that I would turn him in in a heartbeat and he was upset with me. Tough.

I feel the same about people in this hobby that are too dang lazy to do it right. What is wrong with them when it is so easy to do it right!

Lets not destroy this hobby and lets not allow other to do it for us. I would turn in a violator in this hobby as fast as a metal detectorist that showed so little respect to the vast majority that do it right.

I get so sick and tired of the few that blame the land managers for their attitudes and it is usually not their fault. It is the lazy and arrogant in my view

That is MY opinion

You find this in all thing in life let it be hunting to driving, there are always laws being broke. Do you know it's against the law to cross the street where there is no crosswalk? How many of us has done that? My hand is raised. I just try and I said try, cause it is hard to do, to not let the little things bother me. Again, it's hard to do. Let's just enjoy doing something that many people can't do. Let's enjoy the new year. :blink:

Actually, there are many areas that have been off limits to metal detecting that are finally starting to open up. I haven't seen any evidence of more restictions in place today than there were when I started 20 years ago. Some places are off limits becuase of bureaucracy, some becuase of stupid people.

Off limits areas can get re-opened (so long as they are not historical) if you work with the organization that closed it. Local clubs, that have membership and rules for members can be 1000X more effective than a single person ever could.

But MD and GC are too completely different beasts. One uses coodinates to find something of little true value (which may NOT be buried) and sign a piece of paper. The other involves digging up every signal you hear.

Walking around, picking up a box and writing...... Getting on your hands and knees and digging holes in a park. not even the same game, let alone ballpark.

Edited by scuba dude

Actually, there are many areas that have been off limits to metal detecting that are finally starting to open up. I haven't seen any evidence of more restrictions in place today than there were when I started 20 years ago. Some places are off limits because of bureaucracy, some because of stupid people.

Off limits areas can get re-opened (so long as they are not historical) if you work with the organization that closed it. Local clubs, that have membership and rules for members can be 1000X more effective than a single person ever could.

But MD and GC are too completely different beasts. One uses coordinates to find something of little true value (which may NOT be buried) and sign a piece of paper. The other involves digging up every signal you hear.

Walking around, picking up a box and writing...... Getting on your hands and knees and digging holes in a park. not even the same game, let alone ballpark.

I think they are exactly the same. The value of the find doesn't change the fact that we need permission. I do most of my detecting with scuba gear, been diving for 35 years so I am not bothered like the land hunters are but almost every one of the rules are made because of people that think they ought to be able to do anything they want, just because they exist. Not true.

There are some land managers that are on an ego trip but sorry, I have met few.

I have little use for clubs. Just a personal thing. I have no interest in organized hunts where they hide coins. Not for me. I believe in hunting places I have been given permission and live by the rules. Maybe you live in an area of bad managers but here in Michigan I have had great cooperation.

One problem is that some of the rangers just have no idea what the rules are so they just say no. It has not happened to me but looking at the MIGO site I have seen where it has happened. That is where a club Like MIGO can be handy. They negotiated with the state for the right to hide cashes on state land but it is ONLY with permission. We have to let the rangers know where we were hiding the cashe in case it is in a protected area. Loon or Eagle nesting areas, etc. Native Indian sites are protected too.

All I ask is that WE do not destroy this hobby. There are many parks that are now off limits to Detectorists and I can not see ever getting the rights back. This is because of a few.

I get so sick and tired of the few that blame the land managers for their attitudes and it is usually not their fault. It is the lazy and arrogant in my view

I've worked in the private sector most of my life. I recently got a public sector job and I've learned something very quickly. If you want something done quickly or if you want it done at ALL, don't ask for input from government beurocrats.

I wouldn't ask someone permission to play frisbee.

I wouldn't ask someone for permission to walk around a public park.

You say the arrogant ones are few, I disagree completely. I dealt with a land manager here in Portland that was actively hunting down and destroying geocaches. They just didn't like them because they viewed them as evil. Do you think I'm going to ask him for permission? NO WAY.

I'm not doing anything against the law by using a public park. Placing a geocache may be against the nazi land owners sensibilities, but its not against the law.

I've worked in the private sector most of my life. I recently got a public sector job and I've learned something very quickly. If you want something done quickly or if you want it done at ALL, don't ask for input from government beurocrats.

You say the arrogant ones are few, I disagree completely. I dealt with a land manager here in Portland that was actively hunting down and destroying geocaches. They just didn't like them because they viewed them as evil. Do you think I'm going to ask him for permission? NO WAY.

I'm not doing anything against the law by using a public park. Placing a geocache may be against the nazi land owners sensibilities, but its not against the law.

MY feeling too. A public park is for the public. Some let you play golf, some let you fish, some let you cache. Not everyone has the same interest, so why should a park tell some they can and others that they can't?

I anyone that does not believe the beginning of this post try this. Go to a park manager and try to get written permission to do anything that is already allowed in the park. It won't happen.

Dude. Brace yourself. We agree!!!!!

Except of course, for the nazi remark. Gotta toss you under the bus for that one too.

Dude. Brace yourself. We agree!!!!!

Except of course, for the nazi remark. Gotta toss you under the bus for that one too.

I wasn't referring to any specific person, just the attitude in general of needing complete control. So I apologize for that one B) I'll chalk this one up to a 2007 miracle :blink:

...I get so sick and tired of the few that blame the land managers for their attitudes and it is usually not their fault. It is the lazy and arrogant in my view

That is MY opinion

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. Everone has one and yours is worth about as much as anyone elses.

My opinion is that like everone else, land managers vary. Some are good, some are bad. Some understand they manage lands for the public benefit, some don't. They are responsible for thier own attitude and if they choose to be stupid about what caching is, they should expect to be called out for it. They should aslo expect for people to adapt to their style. That's life.