loading mapsource topo on to PC

mnthope

I was wondering if anyone knows how to store the topo maps on the pc instead of having to load from the CD every time I zoom in. When loading the software the only option is a typical installation. I tried to just copy the maps to the Garmin directory, but there doesn't seem to be a pointer to the files.

thanks

Mike

This is from memory and for the old version of Topo - YMMV...

The pointer to the files is in the registry. Look at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\X

where that "X" will be:

6 for Topo East

7 for Topo West

8 for Topo Hawaii

9 for Topo Alaska

In each location there will be a "Loc" entry - each one needs to be changed to point to where the files are.

Hope that helps...

Thanks guys.

I am doing the remove and reinstall from the hard drive. Now i'll try to do the same for National Geographic topo. Can you tell a got a bigger hard drive :blink:

Mike

This is from memory and for the old version of Topo - YMMV...

The pointer to the files is in the registry. Look at:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Products\X

where that "X" will be:

6 for Topo East

7 for Topo West

8 for Topo Hawaii

9 for Topo Alaska

In each location there will be a "Loc" entry - each one needs to be changed to point to where the files are.

Hope that helps...

these are the instructions form Garmin

1. Create a folder on the hard drive

2. Copy the contents of Discs 1-3 into this same folder.

3. Locate the DATA.EXE file and create a shortcut. In some cases it may be SETUP.EXE 4. Next, Right Click on the shortcut you created and Left Click on Properties 5. Go to the end of the Target Line and place a space and then /zgarmin 6. See the example below. If there are quote marks, make sure to place the space /zgarmin outside the quote marks.

7. Click APPLY then OK

8. Double Left Click on the ShortCut to run the new Setup to install your product from the Hard Drive.

All I did was create a new directory C:\Garmin\Topo and copy the contents of each CD to this folder. It puts all the maps into subdirectories for you. Run the setup.exe file from the new directory and it creates the proper registery entries for you. Very simple.

I still got the old Topo and this thread is awesome. thanks

All this regedit is unnecessary and dangerous. Garmin sends this out when someone asks them

will be happy to help you with this. Please follow the instructions

bellow:

1. Create a folder on the hard drive

2. Copy the contents of Discs 1-3 into this same folder.

3. Locate the DATA.EXE file and create a shortcut. In some cases it may be SETUP.EXE 4. Next, Right Click on the shortcut you created and Left Click on Properties 5. Go to the end of the Target Line and place a space and then /zgarmin 6. See the example below. If there are quote marks, make sure to place the space /zgarmin outside the quote marks.

7. Click APPLY then OK

8. Double Left Click on the ShortCut to run the new Setup to install your product from the Hard Drive.

topo canada just installs everything off the disk onto the HD. no need to do any copying. I think it asks at install, but I could be wrong. strange that topo US (I guess that's what you're talking about?) wouldn't give you the option at install.

Edited by Smac999