geocacheuk.com

itchy-feet

As Teasel hasn't logged in to gc.com since June last year I suspect we're not going to see guk back.

I wonder whether anyone has the means/facilities/time to build a replacement?

Edit to add: Of course, permission from gc.com would be needed.

Edited by Bill D (wwh)

As Teasel hasn't logged in to gc.com since June last year I suspect we're not going to see guk back.

I wonder whether anyone has the means/facilities/time to build a replacement?

Edit to add: Of course, permission from gc.com would be needed.

Yes, it's been a long time since I did any geocaching, and the site has now been mothballed for too long. If there's anyone who would like to take on the running of the site (written in PHP/MySQL, and needing some re-writing to get the performance up to scratch), then please get in touch. If nobody wants to take it on, I'll let Positive Internet have their server back!

I don't think I ever had the pleasure of visiting geocacheuk.com, but I do have some experience with PHP/MySQL....what needs doing?/

The first task would be to rewrite the search code. In order to improve the response time when flicking through the results of a search, the entire set of UK caches, customised for that particular user, is cached in MySQL, in a common table. That didn't exactly scale well! Quick fixes such as limiting the number of results returned would be possible, but unsatisfying (one of the unique features of G:UK was that anyone could download the entire set of UK caches, customised for them, in one go. People who contributed PQs could get this in GPX format too).

The other main performance task was that the insertion of PQs slowed down the site for web users. This meant a lot of my time went into maintaining "rotas" of which users contributed which PQs, so as to make this as efficient as possible. It would be nice to have a program which first read in several hundred XML files in one go, consolidating them into a data structure. This could then be filtered against a read-only cursor against the DB, then finally, any required updates could be done in a single, efficient blast.

The work required to get the site working isn't rocket science. It just needs an experienced coder with some enthusiasm. I carried on maintaining the site for a long time after I stopped geocaching myself, but events in the forums made me wonder why I was busting a gut to support Groundspeak's website (with their permission, but clearly against their preferences), when their attitude towards UK geocaching was so objectionable.

I don't think I ever had the pleasure of visiting geocacheuk.com, but I do have some experience with PHP/MySQL....what needs doing?/

I'll echo that - quite happy to lend a hand and put my degree-in-progress (Software Engineering) to some use for a change!

Good the hear the possibility of the site coming back from the death, found it good to help with basic planning and cache ratings.

My day job is spent delving into the depths of databases, table relationships (don't always get on :unsure: ) and sql, if any help/advice is needed on database table structure and sql queries then happy to help

One of the reasons it went offline was due to the site being hacked several times.

If it would be helpful, and with the full permission of the hosting company (which I would require), I could use the 20+ years of security knowledge, including ethical hacking, computer forensics, reverse engineering and application testing, to check the site over from time to time to help ensure that it is as patched and secure as is possible.

Let me know if you are interested in this.

Regards,

Martin

i hope you guys can get it back up as its one of the best sites out there for all us cachers

I'm quite intrigued as to how you know that - given that you seem to have only started in March this year? :) Or perhaps you are a long standing team member and now have your own user name? ;)

Is that the date of joining the forum?

Ah, yes, I see what you mean!

Edited by Tizzie