geocacheuk.com

itchy-feet

:laughing::lol::anibad: Best news I've had for a long time, thanks for all the sterling work you have put into this issue Ian. Everything seems ok except for one point....As an ardent FTF exponent, the one sub-section which I go straight to, is the virgin caches list. This no longer appears as a dedicated 'batting order'. Am I missing something, or has this as yet, not been reactivated?

There have been quite a few changes to the code, in an attempt to keep the hackers at bay, so it's likely that much will have broken. Please let me know if you come across anything which isn't working... I've not dared switch the forum back on, until I can do a bit more to keep the hackers out, and the site is currently closed to new registrations, until I can get T:UK and G:UK talking to each other properly. But the basic functionality should be there.

Cheers,

Ian

Sorry smithski as Ian-Teasel has said in his post G:UK is currently closed to new members. As he still has a huge amount of work to do sorting the site out, and also keeping the hackers out who closed it down on several occasions by using it as a base for their nefarious deeds [credit card scams and attacking other servers].

Hopefully Ian will soon have the site open to new members.

Ian,

Thanks for getting G:UK back up. When we log in, obviously as ourselves, and get it to pull in a list of nearest caches, it doesn't recognise any that we've already found, or that we own. The nearest cache to here is one of ours, and it shows up correctly with date last found etc, but is quite insistent that we neither own it, nor have found it. If we remove not found we have no caches in the list. Is this something that will rectify itself once the back end has updated from GC.com a couple of times?

Thanks

Richard

Sorry smithski as Ian-Teasel has said in his post G:UK is currently closed to new members. As he still has a huge amount of work to do sorting the site out, and also keeping the hackers out who closed it down on several occasions by using it as a base for their nefarious deeds [credit card scams and attacking other servers].

Hopefully Ian will soon have the site open to new members.

Thanks, I missed that part.

Still having problems!

Logged in as Team Clova and if I create a new search from Arbroath then the first page (1-25) comes up perfectly (the correct green happy face for our caches' and star ratings for ones found) If I go to page 2 (26-50) then there are no happy faces or stars! :P (and it should be full of them!) If I then remove the not founds the first cache it tells me has been found is one in Northumberland found by Teasel (and is marked by a red happy face)

I also tried doing a 2nd search from Dundee- same result. But if I then use the previous search I did minutes before then no happy faces on the first page (removing the not founds again - back to Northumberland!!!!)

Seems to be after the initial search page it's defaulting to finds by another cacher

Hope this is understandable!!!!!! :laughing:

Edited by Team Clova

Hi all,

My hunch is that some of these problems are happening for geocacheuk.org and others for geocacheuk.com (I could be completely wrong). Can I suggest those with specific problems try them using either domain to see if the problem is anyway dependent on this? This might help Teasel to better diagnose and resolve the remaining problems!

I'm fairly confident the new server is more hackproof than the last one (touch forest) and that Teasel is going to get everything up and running as it should in time, and perhaps even in the longer term I can assist him improve some of the database performance to speed things up further on those longer queries.

As a big fan of the site myself I join in with the general thanks to Teasel for the time he has and is continuing to put into this for all of our benefit!

Hi all,

My hunch is that some of these problems are happening for geocacheuk.org and others for geocacheuk.com (I could be completely wrong). Can I suggest those with specific problems try them using either domain to see if the problem is anyway dependent on this? This might help Teasel to better diagnose and resolve the remaining problems!

Tried both domains.... prob still there ... I get Teasels finds / owns... ( on the search function)

looks like its something else...

Excellent that its back! :)

Some strange behaviour though. If I get it to list my finds, the first page is fine, but then all other pages seem to be centred around Buxton. On the first page my founds have the rating stars I gave. On the others its a red smiley.

Also, one of my more recent finds isn't showing up, though finds before & after are. I've tried the update link, but thats not picking it up either. Does the scraper only pick up the last 5 logs? If so, that would explain it.

I'm just throwing what I'm seeing in in the hope that it might help pin down some problems.

So despite the apparent moan, Its great that it back.

THANKS!

Hi all,

Tried both domains.... prob still there ... I get Teasels finds / owns... ( on the search function)

looks like its something else...

Can only echo the above comments. The strange thing is though that the map on my stats page shows up correctly, or so it would appear anyway. It certainly looks about how I would expect. Presumably this must query the same database as the search function?

Richard

Hi

I'm having the problem where the website doesn't seem to recognise my password. I have registered before and have used the site a lot, although it no longer seems to accept my password...

any ideas?

Was password correct!!! I have not been into the site this year but have just gone back in OK.

Had to reset favorites link as old settings did not work.

My Stats seem to be OK.

ebbandflo

Hi

I'm having the problem where the website doesn't seem to recognise my password. I have registered before and have used the site a lot, although it no longer seems to accept my password...

any ideas?

Same for me... .. Not complaining.. Just reporting for info

Have had no problems logging in again since it has been back up, caches we have found since it went down have been there to rate and the three did yesterday have been rated and appear on search as rated. What we have noticed if you do a search on say a town the first page displayed shows the caches you have previously found with the date but when you select next for another page this coulomb is blank. Has anyone else got this problem?

Nice to have it back though. “ebbandflo”

Have had no problems logging in again since it has been back up, caches we have found since it went down have been there to rate and the three did yesterday have been rated and appear on search as rated. What we have noticed if you do a search on say a town the first page displayed shows the caches you have previously found with the date but when you select next for another page this coulomb is blank. Has anyone else got this problem?

Nice to have it back though. “ebbandflo”

Thought fist submission had failed

Edited by ebbandflo

Solution to getting the wrong caches in your found list ….

When you do an initial search (in this case caches found near home) the URL is

http://www.geocacheuk.org/caches/search_view.php?q=991841&u=ABCD&order=distance

where ABCD is your unique user_id. If you try to re-order the list, say by rating, you get

http://www.geocacheuk.org/caches/search_view.php?order=score_average&q=991841

which does not include your ID and so gives a default user (Teasel?). The answer is to append &u=ABCD to the URL in order to get your personal information.

Hope this helps….

Hi Ian,

Great to see the site back up and running. It is invaluable for my sort of caching - a fortnight's planning before exploring an area. I have noted one adverse change in functionality - not a huge problem as I have concocted a workaround - but wondered if others had noticed it.

I typically search for all caches in a county, e.g. Devon. I then prune this list by 'removing' those found and those 'hidden' by myself. This used to remove all the detail for those caches ready for downloading using 'Waypoint'. This 'remove' function now only deletes the date on which I either found or hid the cache and the rest of the cache details remain on screen. These are then all downloaded. My GPS can only accept 500 sets of details so I have to prune using other means.

As I said, I have a workaround involving manipulating the downloaded CSV file in Notebook and Excel but wondered if the search function is to be restored to its previous form.

All the best

Roland

aka ELDITTON

Edited by ELDitton

Is it just me, or are other people having trouble getting the red (and green) dots to show on the GIS Map on the geocacheuk.com home page. I get loads of blue dots, but even when I zoom in, they are all blue - no red ones for finds or green ones for hides :o

Also, I still have a discrepancy between the number of caches found on the 'My Stats' page where you rate the caches, and the number shown on on the geocacheuk profile page.

In the words of a famous film

I'M TEASEL as well.

Just a thought is it the GPX donators who get teasel's stats ?

Afraid not. We're Teasel too.It was only recently that we discovered that we could 'donate a PQ'. Have mailed Teasel direct to offer.

But I did crack it last night. If I created a new search and ran that, I got our own data set, and downloaded the files for MM and TomTom. Later I reran the search and up popped Teasels dataset. Just tried running the search again and I'm Teasel. In fact if I run any previous search I'm Teasel, but if I create a new search I'm me.

Richard

In the words of a famous film

I'M TEASEL as well.

Just a thought is it the GPX donators who get teasel's stats ?

Afraid not. We're Teasel too.It was only recently that we discovered that we could 'donate a PQ'. Have mailed Teasel direct to offer.

But I did crack it last night. If I created a new search and ran that, I got our own data set, and downloaded the files for MM and TomTom. Later I reran the search and up popped Teasels dataset. Just tried running the search again and I'm Teasel. In fact if I run any previous search I'm Teasel, but if I create a new search I'm me.

Richard

NO NO NO! I'm Teasel

Hi all - just a quick up update on the (lack of) progress so far...

The problem with the interactive maps (both the flash map, and the GIS map) is down the the domain name. In order to get things up and running, I put the site onto the geocacheuk.com domain, whereas the maps expect it to be under stats.geocacheuk.com. Positive Internet have now set up the stats domain and I'm about to have a go at getting it all working again.

PI have also punched a hole in the firewall for me, so that I can work on getting the user table sync-ing with T:UK, which means that I should be able to switch registrations on again. (Hopefully, before the bank holiday is out...)

The site's crashed a couple of times because the search result table has filled up the whole of the hard disk (that's one big table!). I think I've fixed that, but there's still this intermittent "I'm Teasel, and so's my wife" problem. And even if I get to the bottom of that one, there's still the problem of performance...

Basically, there's a fundamental flaw in the way that the search facility works. It was great when it was written (there were 600 caches in the whole of the UK!), but it's no longer fit for purpose and so I've begun a rewrite from scratch. I just did a basic search for caches near Buxton on the current website and Jellicacheers' lovely dual core, RAM-packed, RAID'ed Linux server chewed on my ugly old SQL for 25 seconds before coming up with the list. The rewrite I'm working on did somewhat better - the same search, running on my little windoze laptop, took 0.3s :huh: There's a lot more to do before it's ready to be released, but it should give G:UK a new lease of life!

Would love a general update on how things are going with the rebuilding of the site, but especially on the remove found option in the search section which unfortunately seams still out of commission :grin: . Missing my favoured Geo site a lot and hoping it gets well soon.

PS appreciate all the hard work involved,

Thanks

Help please.

I've been unable to log into GeocacheUK since it got up and running again. It doesn't recognise my username and password. I have tried re-registering but it won't let me as my username is already in use. I emailed Teasle some while ago but the poor chap must be snowed under.

Can anyone else who is a GeocacheUK official help? I need to get on now given Groundspeak's appalling attitude to our now sadly ex-UK reviewers.

Thanks

Many thanks to Ian for all his hard work on geocacheuk.com. It's a great site and we missed it while it was down.

Although the search facility works fine for all caches, when we try to remove our hiddden or found caches we discover we're Teasel too! <_<

There is a work around for this current problem as described in molrams' log below;

where ABCD is your unique user_id. If you try to re-order the list, say by rating, you get

which does not include your ID and so gives a default user (Teasel?). The answer is to append &u=ABCD to the URL in order to get your personal information.

Hope this helps….

Many thanks to Ian for all his hard work on geocacheuk.com. It's a great site and we missed it while it was down.

Although the search facility works fine for all caches, when we try to remove our hiddden or found caches we discover we're Teasel too! :lol:

There is a work around for this current problem as described in molrams' log below;

Hope this helps….

Certainly does help many thanks ;)

[:(] Nope, I still don't get it. Have tried adding our id as above but I'm certainly getting someone's stats but they're definitely not ours. Must be thick or something. Can anyone help?

Works for us..

Are you doing the following:

1. do your search (as normal)

2. on the results page make a note of your id (or copy (ctrl+c) the "&u=ABCD" bit)

3. Select the "remove found" button

4. in the address box now paste/type your &u=ABCD at the end of the new address (no gaps)

5. hit enter, and all should be good (well this is what we do)

PS thanks to molrams for originally finding this work round.

I had also posed a question earlier in the thread about searching for, in particular, "hidden after dates" etc. As a sort of work round this is sort of still possible if once you do primary search (as above) you then list in "placed" order by clicking on that column title. Rather obvious really but completely missed me until yesterday... derrrr!

HF's

Can I just mention that having had syncing probs with geocaching.com and unable tosee my stats I am really happy that Teasel/Ian has sorted it out and I am up to date B)

Big Thanks to Ian :laughing:

for his help in the midst of all his probs

gold star work all round :laughing:

and apart from numerous typos in this post which I had to correct once I`d posted , everything seems to be going excellently B)

Edited by Archangel_UK
When I look at the GIS Map on Geocacheuk, I only get the blue dots now.

Where have all my green and red dots gone?!

Hi it is not quite working correctly. What you need to do is: select the map when it has loaded you need to adjust the site address which will look something like this:

http://www.geocacheuk.org/caches/gis_map.php?c=830865

the above is mine, yours will have another number at the end. You need to delete the letter 'c' before the equals sign and it should work. Then I would add your map to favourites, to save remembering each time.

Hope this helps. :o