First GPS Unit

enthralled

Welcome to the Forums! :)

Check out the new Garmin 'H' units. There are some around your price range. On the Garmin site, you can compare different units with their features, then you can price the ones you like online at offroute.com or Amazon.com to see what price you can get them for. I would recommend getting a GPS unit that connects to your computer with USB instead of with the Serial port. The Garmin Legend connects with the Serial port and its technology is about seven years old now . . .

I'm looking to buy my first GPS unit for geocaching, and I have a price limit of about $150. What is a good unit that I can purchase for this amount or less? I looked at the Garmin eTrex Legend, it's a good price, but is it a good unit?
You can probably get a good deal for an older unit on ebay. I used a Legend for two years. The newer Legend HCX works much better in tree cover.

I have the legend, it's not too good. It works though... over 100 caches so far. :) Not a bad choice for a cheap GPS.

I'd recommend finding something with the sirfstarIII chip. My other GPSr has that, and it's MUCH MUCH more accurate. My garmin can leave me 50 feet or more from where I need to be (while claiming to be accurate), but the other one puts me much closer.

The Etrex Legend is a great unit. It has mapping capabilities and WAAS which is a big leap over the many of the older GPS units. The more recent Legends have a more sensitive reciever (marked H in the model number), colour screen (marked C in the model number) and a slot for more memory (marked X in the model number) however, these options increase the price.

You should be able to find a used or refurbished Legend for about 75 dollars.

We started with a Legend, it was one of the better choices at the time--probably the best low price choice. We liked it so well, we bought a second one. We used those to find our first few hundred caches. We didn't even add additional maps. We were usually about as close as anyone else to the caches when we went out in groups. There are a few helpful tricks that make them easier to use. We kept them when we upgraded for guests to use when they cache with us. It's the model I bought for my classes to use, becuase they are tough and do everything you really have to have to geocache.

We eventually upgraded to a 76 CSX and a 60CSX so we could have auto-routing. I looove my 60CSX. I personally think it's the best unit for geocaching on the market, hands down.

However, if I were just getting started again, and had to choose a lower end model, I'd probably go with one of the H model Garmins and probably the eTrex Legend® HCx since it has so many great features you can work your way up to using/needing. Of course, it's on the pricier end and you'll eventually want to add additional maps.

The eTrex Legend H would be a very good starter model and almost in your price range.

You can compare features on Garmins (and manufacturers suggested retail price) at this site.

The Legend was a great unit it its day, but its day was over about 5 years ago.

There are now units that give you so much more for just a few dollars more. See if you can find a Venture CX. Last I saw they were about $160 and you get improved reception, color display, expandable map memory, USB connection and other goodies.

And for a bit more there are the H units like the Venture HC, Legend HCX that will give you an ultra high sensitivity receiver for great reception under trees.