TB and Geocoin protocol

Jedi Cacher

When I first started geocaching back in March, I had always thought that when you find a traveler you were supposed to replace it with a traveler. But after reading the forums, I soon discovered that as long as you have the ability to help the traveler on it's mission, you may take it. I know that most TB hotel owners have a take one leave one policy, but what is the protocol for finding a TB in a regular cache? Also, must a cacher trade swag for a TB? I have never traded swag for a TB, so am I wrong on this?

I found a few TB's and was told by a cache owner that I didn't trade TB's or even swag for the TB's, so that is why I pose this question. However, I always trade up or even on all swag items. All helpful advice is appreciated so that I know to do the right thing. :)

TB's and Geocoins are meant to travel. Just grab them and help them move. No need to trade anything for them.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted someone to verify this. I thought it was quite strange that I received an Email from the cache owner requesting that I must trade a TB for TB or $6 plus worth of swag for the TB. The owner doesn't seem like a bad guy, just maybe a little misguided.

TBs are the property of their owner, and no Cache owner has the right to dictate whether you take one or not. I've always tried to live by the rules of a TB hotel, but ultimately the hider of that Cache has no right to keep it's visiting Bugs from acting as they were meant to (TRAVEL)

For those who will come back and say that once a TB is released the original owner has no claim to it, I will just put it this way...

"It's MY toy, I'm just letting you PLAY WITH IT"

Edited by WRITE SHOP ROBERT

When I first started geocaching back in March, I had always thought that when you find a traveler you were supposed to replace it with a traveler. But after reading the forums, I soon discovered that as long as you have the ability to help the traveler on it's mission, you may take it. I know that most TB hotel owners have a take one leave one policy, but what is the protocol for finding a TB in a regular cache? Also, must a cacher trade swag for a TB? I have never traded swag for a TB, so am I wrong on this?

I found a few TB's and was told by a cache owner that I didn't trade TB's or even swag for the TB's, so that is why I pose this question. However, I always trade up or even on all swag items. All helpful advice is appreciated so that I know to do the right thing. :anibad:

Travel bugs are not trade items, you are not required to leave a trinket (swag, trade, mctoys) or another TB in its place, but you can if you like.

Just don't leave TBs and take trinkets.

Keep in mind that by not following the TB trade rule the cache owner could decide to delete your found it log.

Personally I wouldn't care one bit and would continue to take any TB I feel I can assist towards its goal.

If the cache owner complained to me like in your situation I would very politely explain the point and purpose of travel bugs, and TB hotels.

I found a few TB's and was told by a cache owner that I didn't trade TB's or even swag for the TB's, so that is why I pose this question.

What's it to the cache owner? You didn't break any rules.

I understand, they want a hotel....but since they don't own the bugs.......

I believe that most owners will not be that heavy-handed.

TBs are game pieces, not trade items. If you can move it, then do so. Cache owners have no say in how a TB moves, unless they own that TB. Caches that have restrictions often get called "a TB Prison" and that is considered an undesirable designation for a cache. Any cache is a good cache for a Travel Bug as long as it fits inside and the lid will close tight.

TB's and Geocoins are meant to travel. Just grab them and help them move. No need to trade anything for them.

Thanks for your reply. I just wanted someone to verify this. I thought it was quite strange that I received an Email from the cache owner requesting that I must trade a TB for TB or $6 plus worth of swag for the TB. The owner doesn't seem like a bad guy, just maybe a little misguided.

Misguided.

If you got to keep the TB it would be fair to trade. You don't though. They travel and remain the personal property of their owners.

Some may say you need to trade a TB for a TB but again, you don't. Just help it travel.

TB hotels with a trade rule are another thing. If you can honor the rule there is no reason not to do so. However if it comes down to helping a TB on it's goal or honoring the TB hotel rule. The TB goal wins every time.

I find that if I am headed to a TB hotel, I do what I can to at least drop some off, and not wipe out all the TBs inside. If I have time, I will also check for which ones have been there longest and take those.

I don't follow the "Rules" of the cache, but I do try and help them keep stuff moving through the cache. If you take everything from there, then people won't come to drop off/take anything from it. I also try and keep everyone happy, and not try and just go with the "You are wrong, I am right" mantality.

I may also drop off 3-4, and take 5-6, or vise-versa. All depends on the cache, and what I have with me. :(

I thought it was quite strange that I received an Email from the cache owner requesting that I must trade a TB for TB or $6 plus worth of swag for the TB.

What game are they playing?

Wow, never seen an actual $ value pop up before.......$6 worth of swag......that's like 12 caches worth?!? :)

I thought it was quite strange that I received an Email from the cache owner requesting that I must trade a TB for TB or $6 plus worth of swag for the TB.

What game are they playing?

Wow, never seen an actual $ value pop up before.......$6 worth of swag......that's like 12 caches worth?!? :grin:

I had the same thought as PhxChem...What the heck are they trying to pull???

-on a side note-

I have one TB Hotel (of sorts...big and safe enough for hotel use...but not really used alot at the moment)...and I clearly state on the page..."take none...take one...take all...do whatever you want to do as long as you can help the tb's on their way" (paraphrased a little to save time on my end)...some stop by and trade...some don't...some just discover the buugs...either way, I leave it up to the cacher visiting the cache...

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Edited by ArcherDragoon

Nobody should be putting a dollar amount on anything when it comes to what you can trade in a cache. It's pretty well known that one should trade up, trade even, or don't trade at all, but one man's junk is another man's treasure, and there should be no set values as to what you put in a cache. And certainly none when it comes to Travel Bugs. You can send that cache owner a link to this thread if you wish.