Newbie question about Garmin Vista CX

Lake Camelot

I am a total newbie and I'm wondering if the Garmin Vista CX would be lacking something I would need to Geocache ?I don't need all the bells and whistles but I was looking at one for sale on the board and I just wanted to make sure it would work fine for geocaching. I like that I could upgrade the memory but am not sure beyond that.

What is the price of the Vista Cx? If it is cheap enough, it will be just fine for Geocaching, but Garmin has the new 'H' models which have a High Sensitivity receiver. If you cache in areas where there are lots of trees, or in areas where there are canyons, or steep slopes, or in urban areas with tall buildings, you might want a new 'H' model. You can get a Legend HCx for around $200.00. There are less expensive 'H' models, and if you choose to go that way, make sure you get one that connects to your computer with USB instead of with the Serial port.

Edited by Miragee

What is the price of the Vista Cx? If it is cheap enough, it will be just fine for Geocaching, but Garmin has the new 'H' models which have a High Sensitivity receiver. If you cache in areas where there are lots of trees, or in areas where there are canyons, or steep slopes, or in urban areas with tall buildings, you might want a new 'H' model. You can get a Legend HCx for around $200.00. There are less expensive 'H' models, and if you choose to go that way, make sure you get one that connects to your computer with USB instead of with the Serial port.

Thanks for the reply. They are asking 175.00 for it. I had kind of set a limit of $170.00 dollars for myself. I also am not sure the difference between the Legend and the Vista. Maybe I would be better of waiting on the Legend HCX a little longer? Hills and canyons will be no problem I live in Illinois but trees or buildings could.

It depends on what you really (ie, eventually) want to do, rather than what you think you want to do now. :-)

Here are the main criteria to sort out:

* high sensitivity receiver, as Mir pointed out. Desirable but not necessary. Most caches were found with normal receivers.

* ability to accept non-routing maps (topo, metroguide)

* ability to accept and use routing maps (CN, hacked MetroGuide)

* ability to use external card-based memory

There are many bargains in the new and used market that have some of those features. In the Garmin market if you want all of them at once you'll spend more than your budget on something like this (in order of increasing price on Amazon)

Legend HCX $210 free shipping

Vista HCX

60cx

60csx $329-$50 rebate, free shipping

If it were me, I think the question would be whether to pony up the $210 for a unit that will do anything you ever throw at it (the legend hcx) or lowball it way lower and pick up something decent and used in the garage sal e forum like an old blue legend (maybe $75) or Legend C (maybe $100). Or even a dead-simple "yellow" for $50.

It really depends on what you think you might do with it. I've collected some thoughts for first-timers.

Edited by fratermus