When does "today" switch over?

benh57

Anyone else notice that "today" in cache listings does not switch over at midnight? When does it switch over?

e,g:

After midnight, on your Account page: http://www.geocaching.com/my/ click "Find nearest from your home coordinates"

notice the "last found" dates will still say "Today" even though they were actually found yeseterday.

My time zone in my profile is set properly to Pacific time, so it's not that...

As a code monkey myself, It does not seem like this should be something that should need to be calculated periodically (at 4am or something), figuring out what is "today" vs "yesterday" vs "2 days ago" should be handled in the user interface layer based on your profile time rather than pulled out of the database.

-Ben

It used to work correctly (maybe it was 12am PST which would be 3am here on the East Coast since I'm not on then it would be invisible to me, LOL), but a few months ago (I think after a code revision) it became like it is now. I always thought maybe it was just a confusion of am vs. pm in the code, but TPTB seem to say it's more complex than that.

Isn't Today Yesterday somewhere in the world?

I really love it when a new cache, planted today 12/30/07 had a FTF Yesterday.

Can't have anything to do with the time zone in groundspeaks neighborhood, well it doesn't seem to be that.

Is it today now? :o

:anibad: It wasn't then, but it might be now. :o

You guys should come to Australia, where our time zone is GMT +10. We're always logging caches tomorrow! And right now we can't even log caches in the correct year! (2008 isn't an option on the date pull down. It's currently 10am on the 1st of January 2008. I hope it appears soon.)

Yep - it's ridiculous. You would think there weren't any premium members outside the USA :blink:

Thanks for the links, wasn't able to find the old threads.

The Australian bug sounds even more annoying.

It is ! It's 5:35pm 1/1/08 here & I still can't log this morning's finds as the year doesn't yet allow '2008'!

HMM, I thought it was fun watching them show here on the news at 12 noon on Dec. 31 in NY City the Sydney New Year's fireworks. My 6 year old son said "how can they be celebrating 2008 at night when it's still 2007 and daylight out"? :( (I'll have to take a flashlight to a globe soon and show him :laughing:)

Seriously, I would think there's enough caching in Australia (and New Zealand, and perhaps Japan, Taiwan, etc.) that Groundspeak would've taken this into account......maybe it would be even more active "down under" right now since it's summer there to boot.....cheers!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

Could someone from Groundspeak offer a quick explanation on why we had to wait until midnight PST, whether this will be overcome in V2?

Personally, I waited until that evening to log my finds for New Year's Day, but I agree it is a bit quirky that we have to constantly log into the future.

The reason is because your physical location doesn't affect the current date and time on the website. All actions take place on server time. A lot of work for the Phoenix project is about localization, so this issue should soon be a thing of the past. Apologies to our friends on the other side of the globe.

Could someone from Groundspeak offer a quick explanation on why we had to wait until midnight PST, whether this will be overcome in V2?

Personally, I waited until that evening to log my finds for New Year's Day, but I agree it is a bit quirky that we have to constantly log into the future.

I'm glad I live in the USA, I've never considered waiting to log my finds. But then again I refuse to pay for internet access so I'm constrained to available time at public libraries and WiFi cafe's. And that has never been near to 'midnight' where the servers are located. I might make an effort to check my stats to see if anything like this is hinky.

But I do find it funny that if I log a find today right now, and do a cache search that includes that cache, it appears to have only been found as recently as 'Yesterday'.

The reason is because your physical location doesn't affect the current date and time on the website. All actions take place on server time. A lot of work for the Phoenix project is about localization, so this issue should soon be a thing of the past. Apologies to our friends on the other side of the globe.

So why do caches found Today* become caches found Yesterday* at Noon PST instead of Midnight PST?

Another could ! Could someone explain why this has not been a problem in the past ? And thanx OpinioNate your are the only one to say sorry ?