Whats up with palm pilots and paperless caching?

mrbeachroach

I have a 256 card in my Palm m500. I have more than 5000 caches loaded on that card . . . I have so many because I have put all my Found caches on there, separated by years to facilitate sending the .pdb files to the PDA, as well as the local "Not Found" caches.

Some of those caches have as many as 15 Past Logs and the card capacity has barely been dented. :laughing:

I have a 256 card in my Palm m500. I have more than 5000 caches loaded on that card . . . I have so many because I have put all my Found caches on there, separated by years to facilitate sending the .pdb files to the PDA, as well as the local "Not Found" caches.

Some of those caches have as many as 15 Past Logs and the card capacity has barely been dented. :laughing:

That sounds "sufficient" LOL. I'm watching 2 on ebay now, they are cheaper than the T5's by far. Thank you for the advice.

Just bought a Palm500 on ebay for $30 total-what I was wondering is,on the cachemate site they talk about a Hotsynk name on the PDA-does anyone know where that is?

Congratulations!! You got a good deal! B) In the Palm Desktop software, which you can download from the Palm Site, in order to have the latest version, you will create an account. It can be your real name, or a nickname, or just "user." That is the "HotSync" name and after the first HotSync that will be on your Palm, until you do a Hard Reset, something you shouldn't have to do.

If you bought a used Palm, the person who sold it to you, should have done a Hard Reset before shipping it in order to remove all their data. If they didn't, you need to do a Hard Reset so you can use your own name on it.

Thanks Miragee for the HotSync info,now if it will hurry up and get here so I can start paperless.......

Thanks for your help everyone. I think what I got from that was to get a Palm rather than an ipod, they are more expensive here in the UK than in the US, I'm watching a few on ebay but they go for over $100, the 2nd hand ones. However I'll keep watching and hopefully I'll pick one up for less eventually.

My favoured model is the Palm Tungsten T5, any comments on that??

Thanks

There is no reason to get the T5 if you only want it for Geocaching. The Palm m500 works great, and the monochrome screen is easy to read, even in bright sunlight. B)

Question to those using Plucker AND getting images - I'm not :D .

I played with it more a few months ago and got pics to work but now I don't have them again. Can you tell me what settings you use on the IMAGES tab in Plucker Desktop?

FWIW - I'm using a Palm m500.

Mahalo.

Question to those using Plucker AND getting images - I'm not :D .

I played with it more a few months ago and got pics to work but now I don't have them again. Can you tell me what settings you use on the IMAGES tab in Plucker Desktop?

FWIW - I'm using a Palm m500.

Mahalo.

I never could get images using Pluckers desktop application. I chunked it in favor of the Sunrise desktop application. It is easy to set up, runs faster, and allows you to get images on your pda's Plucker cache pages.

d3eb8c30-7279-450d-b105-dcf98da65b1c.jpg

Horrible celphone pic is of a picture from this cache page. (My apologies to non-premium members, but you probably aren't interested in this issue anyway, since you don't get PQs.)

Edited by sbell111

Okay, I'm new to the idea of paperless caching (still strikes me as odd :D but I'll get it figured out). I have my GPSr for the caches/benchmarks themselves, and I'm considering getting a Palm M500-series off eBay or here at the "garage sale" but I still have a couple questions to be clear:

[*]In order to use Cachemate (which seems very cool, from the site and description) I'll need to use the .gpx files for full details, and thus need to get a Premium Membership. Correct?

Correct. The Pocket Query will give you all the information that you need for Cachemate

[*]The .loc files are only going to have the same info as what's loaded into my GPSr, so they're not going to be as useful to me in a Palm device

Correct again. You need the GPX files

[*]How simple is it to upload the .gpx or .loc files to the PDA? Is it as simple as using the Waypoint Manager or GWAK?

It's pretty simple. You simply use Cachemate to open the GPX file and then sync your PDA. Somebody else can explain it in greater detail since I only did it a few times (like Plucker better) - but it's easy and just a few minutes to do.

I never could get images using Pluckers desktop application. I chunked it in favor of the Sunrise desktop application. It is easy to set up, runs faster, and allows you to get images on your pda's Plucker cache pages.

I know it worked with Plucker, I just can't remember HOW I did it. I think I had to drop the images to 150x150 (for thumbnails) but I don't recall.

OR maybe I had to uncheck the box to have it ignore URLs that were on a different server. That might make sense since most people host thier images elsewhere and having that box check would ignore the path to an offsite image.

Ok, now I'm talking to myself, but maybe it will help others.

I'll keep Sunrise in mind, too since having pics on the PDA is nice.

Iv'e been using palm piolts for paper less for a while now and themain thing to look for is a screen that is dailight readable.

The palm pda's seem to be more usable than PPC's for several reasons. First, used ones are plentiful. second, the Palm OS there is a lot of software available for free. The most important things too look for in a pda for paper less caching is a daylight readable screen. these will be either a monochrome screen or a transflective color screen. An added bonus is that with daylight readable displays, you can save battery life by turning off the backlight when not needed. I use a Tungsten T (transflective color display) with a Palm M125(monochrome) as a backup. The gps I use is a Magellan GPS Companion which clips onto the palm unit and is operated through the palm pilot. This gps was actually designed for use with an M500, but has been modified (part of the plastic ground down) to allow the M125 to fit on it.

I use CetusGPS on the Palm. it works quite well at reading the data coming from the gps, and is also very good at managing the cache listings. It has an option that automatically points to the nearest cache, and I use the list management by simply moving a listing entry to a different list when I find :D or dont find :D

the cache.

To translate the gpx files to the palm format used by CetusGPS, I use GPSBabel, which is an open source program. GPSBabel runs on Dos, Windows or linux. I have a batch file setup so I don't have to type in the long commands.

I also carry an ad card so I can easily backup the caches lists on the pdas.