Whats up with palm pilots and paperless caching?

mrbeachroach

Im interested to taking my caching to the next step, can any of you all convince me that palms are the best way to go? Whats the benifits and how convienant is it?

Do you save paper and can you get all the logs and hints ,descriptions with it?

I can't say they're the best way to go, but they work for sure; and yes you get logs, hints and descriptions.

And to be totally obnoxious, I should point out they haven't been called "palm pilots" since 1997. :)

Assuming that's the way you want to go after this is discussed, do you have one already? You can buy an ancient used one off of Ebay for $10-$20, and they work just fine for caching.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

Only way to go IMHO. Paperless with Pocket Queries. I use a Dell Axim Pocket PC I got on eBay for only $30 and use GPXSonar for the data. A PQ can give you five logs / cache for your Palm.... that's a lot of extra info for hunting and lots of paper saved. Paper is bulky to cart around. Just make sure your battery is charged up (leave the palm always docked).

I can also load the .GPX file into my Magellan with gpsBabel. Ten minutes and I'm out the door!

I love it and will never go back to paper and ink.

RATTLEBARS

Edited by Rattlebars

Im interested to taking my caching to the next step, can any of you all convince me that palms are the best way to go? Whats the benifits and how convienant is it?

Do you save paper and can you get all the logs and hints ,descriptions with it?

I can't say they're the best way to go, but they work for sure; and yes you get logs, hints and descriptions.

And to be totally obnoxious, I should point out they haven't been called "palm pilots" since 1997. :)

Assuming that's the way you want to go after this is discussed, do you have one already? You can buy an ancient used one off of Ebay for $10-$20, and they work just fine for caching.

I love the totally obnoxious part, thanks!! I don't have one, but when I get one what would be the benifit of not getting one that is ancient? What do I have to look out for in buying an old or used one? Software? wires?

Only way to go IMHO. Paperless with Pocket Queries. I use a Dell Axim Pocket PC I got on eBay for only $30 and use GPXSonar for the data. A PQ can give you five logs / cache for your Palm.... that's a lot of extra info for hunting and lots of paper saved. Paper is bulky to cart around. Just make sure your battery is charged up (leave the palm always docked).

I can also load the .GPX file into my Magellan with gpsBabel. Ten minutes and I'm out the door!

RATTLEBARS

Good call on the ink, I have a magellen meridian color gpsr, do you see any combatibility issues with this?

I don't have one, but when I get one what would be the benifit of not getting one that is ancient? What do I have to look out for in buying an old or used one? Software? wires?

The part about getting an ancient one for 10 or 20 bucks is that you won't panic so much when you drop it in a beaver pond or smash it on a rock while you are out caching. :)

I don't have one, but when I get one what would be the benifit of not getting one that is ancient? What do I have to look out for in buying an old or used one? Software? wires?

The part about getting an ancient one for 10 or 20 bucks is that you won't panic so much when you drop it in a beaver pond or smash it on a rock while you are out caching. :D

I wouldn't get an "ancient" Palm. Look on eBay for a "like new" Palm m500. It can take an SD card and connects to your computer with USB, something that is important. There is no point in purchasing an old Palm for $10.00 and then finding out the Serial to USB adapter is going to cost $39.99 . . . :)

I have had my Palm m500 for more than six years. The battery is still going strong and in nearly three years of using it with Cachemate installed, have never had a problem with it. I got an inexpensive hard case to protect it from the inevitable rigors of caching. You should be able to get a Palm m500, with the cradle, and including the shipping, for less than $30.00.

To get the information into my Palm, I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). I haven't had to print out a cache page ever since I started caching "paperless." It is the only way to go . . . :)

The part about getting an ancient one for 10 or 20 bucks is that you won't panic so much when you drop it in a beaver pond or smash it on a rock while you are out caching. :o

I wouldn't get an "ancient" Palm. Look on eBay for a "like new" Palm m500. It can take an SD card and connects to your computer with USB, something that is important. There is no point in purchasing an old Palm for $10.00 and then finding out the Serial to USB adapter is going to cost $39.99 . . . :o

I have had my Palm m500 for more than six years. The battery is still going strong and in nearly three years of using it with Cachemate installed, have never had a problem with it. I got an inexpensive hard case to protect it from the inevitable rigors of caching. You should be able to get a Palm m500, with the cradle, and including the shipping, for less than $30.00.

To get the information into my Palm, I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). I haven't had to print out a cache page ever since I started caching "paperless." It is the only way to go . . . :)great advise thank you!!! :anibad:

RATTLEBARS

Good call on the ink, I have a magellen meridian color gpsr, do you see any combatibility issues with this?

I have a Magellan Meridian Color as well. For mine, I have the serial cable which I use for my daily PQs and GPSBabel writes to the serial port just fine. GPS Babel can make the memory card files too so if you have an SD card reader writer, you are good to go. Just write to the card, insert, use the Meridian's "Card Utilities" menu and select "load wpt/route". I have several collections of waypoints on my card, including all the waypoints of caches that I own so if I ever need to do maintenance I just load it. When you load from the card or serial port, it ADDs the waypoints to whatever is already in memory, so to start a fresh day, I will use the "setup - clear memory" to clear out any old finds.

RATTLEBARS

magellan.jpg

I am waiting for the next version of GSAK that will allow writing everything into the notes section on my iPod. Cachemagnet is suppose to do it now but I am finding flaws in it. Most of the caches I have tried loading are listed in the notes section but are empty when I open the note. I will keep messing with it though until I can get the new GSAK.(still in Beta).

We went paperless for about two months and decided to go back to printing the caches out onto paper. We found it very inconvenient to have to keep switching back and forth from one screen to the next screen and back again to get all the info we wanted. Also when we had one of those nice multi's that required answering the questions to get the cordinates of the next stage we had nothing to write the answers down on. So for us we find paper easier then paperless.

I went paperless with my Garmin Ique 3600 a few months ago and I will never go back to paper. I purchased the cachemate program and added the cachenav to it and it works beautifully. Since my PDA is also my GPS I don't have to go back and forth in between devices. It has been a win win situation for my thus far.

We went paperless for about two months and decided to go back to printing the caches out onto paper. We found it very inconvenient to have to keep switching back and forth from one screen to the next screen and back again to get all the info we wanted. Also when we had one of those nice multi's that required answering the questions to get the cordinates of the next stage we had nothing to write the answers down on. So for us we find paper easier then paperless.

I love my pda for caching, I used to just plug the coordinates and go but found that I was just missing too much information to either get to the cache with life and limb intact, or not knowing that it had been submitted for mantainence the day before. As for taking notes my pda does that and I don't have to worry about losing the information when I throw out the piece of paper I put it on. Some of the commands take a bit to get used to but getting the information you need gets faster and faster the more you use it. Another plus is my pda uses the same type of SD cards my camera uses, so if I ever burn through the 800 plus pictures my camera can take I always have extra storage for it.

I do have to look into getting a case to put the pda into to protect it more though. Ounce of prevention and all that jazz.

Here is a very nice site about going paperless paperless

I bought a Palm V from VENTUREMAN7 in the gps garage sale section of these forums. I am very happy with it. I used it for the first time today.

I have a gps that has to have the coords hand entered. I did this awhile back to about 200 in my area. I used the GCXXXX as the name of all my waypoints. So now I have this pda and I can't use the search by GCXXXX. You can only search by cache name. Soooo I have went into the pda and edited all the cache names to their GCXXXX. Omg, is anyone understanding all this? lol, I guess my point is do your research and you will love going paperless. :anibad: i think :o

Hey,

Shortly after really getting into geocaching, I started to use GSAK...then received a Palm shortly after that. Happened to be a Palm T|X...a lot of different features that really work well form me. The more I can leave my computer at home the better...already carry enough electronics with me...

Load the caches I am seeking into my Garmin, load the cache information into the Palm and take my Sidekick with me for internet while on the road if I need it.

It is really ironic all the tech some of use to try and find tupperware hidden in the woods :anibad::o :o

As others have said...if you really want to go the Palm route...be sure it will work with your computer. There are many out there...the T|X just works for me (and I got it for a really good price :o ). As far as the long trips (days)...I include the computer as well!!!

Overall, I like GSAK and Cachemate...there are other ways to do similar things for free...but I am just to lazy to set that stuff up :o ... besides...the costs of each program is actually really cheap...so my feeling is why reinvent the wheel???

Later,

ArcehrDragoon

Paperless, no question about it. When I used paper it took a couple of minutes to search and print out a couple of caches. Now in the same amount of time I can download 500 caches with specific requirements of my choice. Many PDAs allow you to take notes, however, for difficult puzzles I prefer to print if you plan on solving them on the road. Anybody tells you different just doesn't understand all the options available for PDAs and downloading to your GPS. As for which ones to use there are lots of experts on some of the other forums. Good Luck.

Here is a very nice site about going paperless paperless

I bought a Palm V from VENTUREMAN7 in the gps garage sale section of these forums. I am very happy with it. I used it for the first time today.

I have a gps that has to have the coords hand entered. I did this awhile back to about 200 in my area. I used the GCXXXX as the name of all my waypoints. So now I have this pda and I can't use the search by GCXXXX. You can only search by cache name. Soooo I have went into the pda and edited all the cache names to their GCXXXX. Omg, is anyone understanding all this? lol, I guess my point is do your research and you will love going paperless. :P i think :)

If you use CacheMate on the Palm, you can switch from name to GC# for sorting - no need to edit entries.

I am waiting for the next version of GSAK that will allow writing everything into the notes section on my iPod. <snip>

A friend of mine uses GPSBabel (the engine under GSAK) to export his GPX data to a file that he imports as a contact list to Outlook, then sends that file to his iPod. An extra step, but he didn't have to buy an extra device. Plus, he can listen to his tunes while caching!

Me? I'm happy that I have my GPX files output to a Mobipocket ebook on my Blackberry. That, with my GPSMap 76Csx ... geocaching bliss.

I've got a Treo (phone/PDA) with cachemate and easy access to the WAP site if needed. I still like the look of paper (or a full paper sized view), I have not used cachemate in several months (as if I need it). My idea of paperless is to find an area I want to explore, pick a few caches & send them to the GPS and go.

I've tried the paperless route but I'm not that good at getting the information the way I want it unless I do some serious pre-planning, too much work and it sucks all the fun out of things.

The part about getting an ancient one for 10 or 20 bucks is that you won't panic so much when you drop it in a beaver pond or smash it on a rock while you are out caching. :P

I wouldn't get an "ancient" Palm. Look on eBay for a "like new" Palm m500. It can take an SD card and connects to your computer with USB, something that is important. There is no point in purchasing an old Palm for $10.00 and then finding out the Serial to USB adapter is going to cost $39.99 . . . :)

To get the information into my Palm, I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). I haven't had to print out a cache page ever since I started caching "paperless." It is the only way to go . . . :D

:) I don't know where you look, but I've purchased two, both caost less than $4. I would agree however, that buying a new on is a better option. You have more compatibility, and better working machine. It may cost you about $50-100, but you'd be surprised at just how much you would use it, caching and for other things. The problem is, you can't just go paperless by buying a PDA, you also have you pay for a premium membership to Groundspeak (which I would HIGHLY recommend anyways), then CacheMate. In the end, you'll spend at a minimum $25. That's if you get a $10 PDA, one month subscription to Groundspeak, and $8 for CacheMate. But, in the end the benifits are great: Paperless, cool features through Groundspeak, and a PDA. IT"S WORTH IT!!!

To add one more note to this thread:

If you use an ink jet printer to print out your paper (even if you use the toned down print friendly page), be aware that inkjet ink costs roughly $8,000.00 a gallon!

not to mention all the paper and trees you will be saving by going paperless. :P

Depending on the manufacturer of the paper that point may be debatable, but that's best left to other forums. The convenience of paperless should be enough of a payoff. The rest is gravy.

If you have a mobile phone that can run Java (does it play MP3s or games?) then you can put caches on it as well.

Not as convenient as cachemate on a real PDA, but a way to try out going paperless without buying a new gadget, if you already have one.

Search on "pocket pocket query" for more details.

If you use an ink jet printer to print out your paper (even if you use the toned down print friendly page), be aware that inkjet ink costs roughly $8,000.00 a gallon!

not to mention all the paper and trees you will be saving by going paperless. ;)

Save what trees? Trees are one of the most renewable resources on the planet and can be very easily managed. Paper is completely biodegradable. What resources were used to manufacture your papreless caching device? Will it be completely recycled in a few years when it becomes obsolete? How about the batteries? Give me a paper and pencil anytime!

you get the description, hint, and the last 5 logs.

you don't get any images, though you can load them manually.

Actually, that's not correct.

I use Plucker on my pda, but was unhappy with how long it took for Plucker's desktop application to do it's thing. I replaced the desktop application with Sunrise's desktop application and am very happy. It runs much quicker than Plucker's, is easy to set up and syncs any pics on the cache pages to the Plucker application on my pda.

AND it's not waterproof - a drop at the wrong spot can ruin the whole hunt.

Neither is a PDA...

Funny, I've never noticed the screen on my PDA run when a rain drop hits it, but I saw that a lot before I went paperless. It's a lot easier to keep a PDA under cover while I read then a sheet (or more) of paper. (BTW, I live in the Great North Wet: if you don't cache in the rain, you don't cache! ;) )

not to mention all the paper and trees you will be saving by going paperless. B)

Trees are one of the most renewable resources on the planet and can be very easily managed.

Tell that to the ever dwindling rain and old growth forests. Yes I know the paper industry uses renewable forest resources but there is still a huge lumber industry out there taking out old growth forests that can never be replaced. Just ask the guitar manufacturers if they are worried about where they are going to get their wood in 20 years. I do agree with you about the plastics and electronic components. Batteries always get recycled in my house. Now enough of this talk and lets go caching! ;)

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...Paperless Caching"

Edited by KJcachers

Is there a reason you were using Plucker instead of Cachemate?

Im just starting out with geocaching. Ive only fooled around with Plucker so far. And i find the desktop very slow as well.

Anyone else with any opinion on Plucker (or the Sunrise app) versus Cachemate?

I use Plucker on my pda, but was unhappy with how long it took for Plucker's desktop application to do it's thing. I replaced the desktop application with Sunrise's desktop application and am very happy. It runs much quicker than Plucker's, is easy to set up and syncs any pics on the cache pages to the Plucker application on my pda.

Im just starting out with geocaching. Ive only fooled around with Plucker so far. And i find the desktop very slow as well.

Plucker is free, Cachemate costs $8.00 to register. For its ease of operation and features, I felt Cachemate was well worth that minimal fee. It has several different screens including a page for the cache description, one for the Past Logs, and another one for recording your notes on the cache hunt. It works seemlessly with GSAK. ;)

"Tell that to the ever dwindling rain and old growth forests. Yes I know the paper industry uses renewable forest resources but there is still a huge lumber industry out there taking out old growth forests that can never be replaced. Just ask the guitar manufacturers if they are worried about where they are going to get their wood in 20 years. I do agree with you about the plastics and electronic components. Batteries always get recycled in my house. Now enough of this talk and lets go caching! B)

"We now return you to your regularly scheduled topic...Paperless Caching"

Stuck at work on a slow day so caching is not an option at this point. B)

You made my point. Paper companies manage the resources they use.

I made no comment about the lumber industry that provides us with homes and guitars.

I believe the OP is trying to decide whether or not paperless is worth it or not and even commented on saving paper. I just don't buy the "saving paper" argument that folks use to justify buying more tech gadgets. If they work for you go for it but don't think you're kidding anyone that the reason you do it is for helping the environment. ;)

Edited by saginawmike

There are a few reasons.

First, as Miragee mentioned, it was free. When I went paperless, I was unsure as to whether I would like the experience. Free seemed much better than not-free.

Second, when learning how to go paperless, the best resource I found was CYBret's Geocacher U primer explaining plucker.

Third, I prefer it to CacheMate. I have both programs on my pda and simply prefer Plucker. It's more like actually using the webpage, in my opinion. This is especially true since I get the pictures from each cache page on the cache pages on my pda. (I don't need to record my hunts in the program since I use the awesome Cache Log Book application.)

I went paperless with my Garmin Ique 3600 a few months ago and I will never go back to paper. I purchased the cachemate program and added the cachenav to it and it works beautifully. Since my PDA is also my GPS I don't have to go back and forth in between devices. It has been a win win situation for my thus far.

What kind of gps do you use?

I use the Garmin IQue 3600 which it is a PDA with an integrated GPS.

What kind of gps do you use?

I use a dell Axim for caching and for general PDA use. I can store hundreds of caches' information on it so that I can cache on the fly when I have the time.Iuse Cachemate to organize them. I have a couple thousand caches stored on my GPS and more than once I have turned on the GPS and saw a cahe located near where I was and tried to find it. It wasn't until I spent a lot of time ,looking for it and then going to my PDA to see the description that I discovered that the cache was some kind of puzzle and the coordinates listed and loaded into my GPS was not the real location of the cache.

I have also used the built in WIFI to log onto Geacaching and get the latest cache page which has at times been archived but still in my GPS. The only problem that I ever had was sliding down a small rock chute and forgot that my Axim was in my back pocket. Lucky that I am handy and I was able to find a replacement screen on ebay for $150 dollars and replace it myself. OOOPPPS.

Chuck

I use a dell Axim for caching and for general PDA use. I can store hundreds of caches' information on it so that I can cache on the fly when I have the time.Iuse Cachemate to organize them. I have a couple thousand caches stored on my GPS and more than once I have turned on the GPS and saw a cahe located near where I was and tried to find it. It wasn't until I spent a lot of time ,looking for it and then going to my PDA to see the description that I discovered that the cache was some kind of puzzle and the coordinates listed and loaded into my GPS was not the real location of the cache.

I have also used the built in WIFI to log onto Geacaching and get the latest cache page which has at times been archived but still in my GPS. The only problem that I ever had was sliding down a small rock chute and forgot that my Axim was in my back pocket. Lucky that I am handy and I was able to find a replacement screen on ebay for $150 dollars and replace it myself. OOOPPPS.

Chuck

That's one of the nice thing about programs like GSAK, you can filter out unsolved puzzles BEFORE loading into the GPSr & PDA. Then you don't get such surprises.

If you have a mobile phone that can run Java (does it play MP3s or games?) then you can put caches on it as well.

Not as convenient as cachemate on a real PDA, but a way to try out going paperless without buying a new gadget, if you already have one.

Search on "pocket pocket query" for more details.

I've got a Blackberry Pearl and found an application that will manage waypoints and map them on the Blackberry but it's not very useful without a bluetooth GPS. Since I already have a GPSr I use the Blackberru to hold cache listings as follows:

I create download gpx data using pocket queries. I use GSAK and import the gpx data it's database. I actually use several database and PQs for different areas. I have a separate PQ just for puzzle caches which I manage in a separate database. As I solve puzzles I update the coordinates and save it as a new waypoint (GCNNNN solved). I merge all of the database and export them as a new gpx file which I send to my GPSr. I use the Mobi GSAK macro to produce a MobiReader file. I have MobiPocket reader on my PC which sends the mobi file to my Blackberry The file has all of the waypoints in the area with complete listings, hint and the five most recent logs. It produces several indexes that allows searching by name, caches with TBs/coins, proximity from my home coordinates, and for each listing, the five closest caches.

Having the full listings on my Blackberry comes in most useful for "unknown caches" (puzzle caches) for which the puzzle can only be solved in the field using information in the listing. Before I started using the Blackberry there were numerous times when I searched for a cache, couldn't find it, and when I got home to log the DNF discovered that I needed to use the numbers on a sign or count benches or something to get the real coordinates. Often those caches were labeled as Multi caches so it wasn't even clear that it was a "puzzle".

The part about getting an ancient one for 10 or 20 bucks is that you won't panic so much when you drop it in a beaver pond or smash it on a rock while you are out caching. :anicute:

I wouldn't get an "ancient" Palm. Look on eBay for a "like new" Palm m500. It can take an SD card and connects to your computer with USB, something that is important. There is no point in purchasing an old Palm for $10.00 and then finding out the Serial to USB adapter is going to cost $39.99 . . . :ph34r:

To get the information into my Palm, I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife). I haven't had to print out a cache page ever since I started caching "paperless." It is the only way to go . . . :drama:

Just bought a Palm500 on ebay for $30 total-what I was wondering is,on the cachemate site they talk about a Hotsynk name on the PDA-does anyone know where that is?

Thanks for your help everyone. I think what I got from that was to get a Palm rather than an ipod, they are more expensive here in the UK than in the US, I'm watching a few on ebay but they go for over $100, the 2nd hand ones. However I'll keep watching and hopefully I'll pick one up for less eventually.

My favoured model is the Palm Tungsten T5, any comments on that??

Thanks

Just bought a Palm500 on ebay for $30 total-what I was wondering is,on the cachemate site they talk about a Hotsynk name on the PDA-does anyone know where that is?

Congratulations!! You got a good deal! :laughing: In the Palm Desktop software, which you can download from the Palm Site, in order to have the latest version, you will create an account. It can be your real name, or a nickname, or just "user." That is the "HotSync" name and after the first HotSync that will be on your Palm, until you do a Hard Reset, something you shouldn't have to do.

If you bought a used Palm, the person who sold it to you, should have done a Hard Reset before shipping it in order to remove all their data. If they didn't, you need to do a Hard Reset so you can use your own name on it.

Thanks for your help everyone. I think what I got from that was to get a Palm rather than an ipod, they are more expensive here in the UK than in the US, I'm watching a few on ebay but they go for over $100, the 2nd hand ones. However I'll keep watching and hopefully I'll pick one up for less eventually.

My favoured model is the Palm Tungsten T5, any comments on that??

Thanks

There is no reason to get the T5 if you only want it for Geocaching. The Palm m500 works great, and the monochrome screen is easy to read, even in bright sunlight. :anicute: