Pre-made maps for Garmin?

Haymarket

I have a new Garmin 60CSx, and I wanted to load some topo maps, but in looking at the viewer on Garmin's site, the maps look terrible. So, I read a site about making my own for upload, but can't download the data to my computer, after many tries and lots of frustration. That said, I am sure people have made Garmin topo maps for many areas before, so are they loaded anywhere to browse and download?

I wanted to load some topo maps, but in looking at the viewer on Garmin's site, the maps look terrible.

I'm not sure I would exactly call them terrible, what was the problem with them? I have topo 2008 and they've been pretty good so far. If you search the forum there is a few topics about making your own topo maps.

Edited by hogrod

I wanted to load some topo maps, but in looking at the viewer on Garmin's site, the maps look terrible.

I'm not sure I would exactly call them terrible, what was the problem with them? I have topo 2008 and they've been pretty good so far. If you search the forum there is a few topics about making your own topo maps.

I just pulled up the area around my house in VA on the viewer, and around my in-laws house in GA, and the roads were completely off in both cases, and they had 150' contour interval in both areas, which made them useless for terrain association for anything other than mountains as far as I can tell. Maybe other areas are better.

I did find this site with lots of pre-made maps for Garmin, but cannot figure out how to load them. Anybody know?

Garmin Maps.

I have a new Garmin 60CSx, and I wanted to load some topo maps, but in looking at the viewer on Garmin's site, the maps look terrible. So, I read a site about making my own for upload, but can't download the data to my computer, after many tries and lots of frustration. That said, I am sure people have made Garmin topo maps for many areas before, so are they loaded anywhere to browse and download?

Hello Haymarket,

If you are interested in Canadian pre-made topo maps try this link:

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

On the web page just download the TopoMaps12.exe file (1.13GB).

This is an installation file that installs Canadian topo maps to view in MapSource.

It's realy good.

Hello Haymarket,

If you are interested in Canadian pre-made topo maps try this link:

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/

On the web page just download the TopoMaps12.exe file (1.13GB).

This is an installation file that installs Canadian topo maps to view in MapSource.

It's realy good.