Upoloading POI's to Garmin Mobile XT

mocheesehead

Hello All,

I have a Palm TX and a Garmin Mobile 10 XT and am wondering if there is a way to upload custom POI files? I am trying, (but not very successfully) to use the Garmin POILoader. POILoader will accept the GPX files but then will convert it to some GOI file (or something like that) that the hot sync chokes on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Pat

Hello All,

I have a Palm TX and a Garmin Mobile 10 XT and am wondering if there is a way to upload custom POI files? I am trying, (but not very successfully) to use the Garmin POILoader. POILoader will accept the GPX files but then will convert it to some GOI file (or something like that) that the hot sync chokes on.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Pat

I have the current version of Garmin Mobile XT (not sure if it's 10?) for smart phones (WM6 w/built in GPSr) and the current version of POILoader sees the phone as a GPSr and copies the GPI file to the storage card on it. However, and this is really odd, it puts it in the \poi folder (at the root of the card) but I then have to copy it to \GARMIN\POI for them to show up in Garmin Mobile XT. If the GPI file is not in the \poi folder, it won't show up in Tools\Manage My Data (and when it does, it shows up twice), but if it's not in the \GARMIN\POI folder, the waypoints don't show up in the maps. Go figure!

Thanks for the reply. When I run POILoader, it says I have successfully uploaded and I need to hotsync. When I do hotync, I do not see a \poi folder in the root of the card, nor is there a \GARMIN\POI folder on the card. Is there a way to just convert the file to a GPI, then just manually copy the file where it needs to go?

Thanks again!

Thanks for the reply. When I run POILoader, it says I have successfully uploaded and I need to hotsync. When I do hotsync, I do not see a \poi folder in the root of the card, nor is there a \GARMIN\POI folder on the card. Is there a way to just convert the file to a GPI, then just manually copy the file where it needs to go?

It seems that the problem lies with the Palm Hotsync, which won't install files that it doesn't think there is an application for, and which aren't handled by a specific conduit. I get the following error in the Hotsync log:

"ERROR: The following file(s) could not be installed to the SecureDigital (SD) Card because there is no application on your handheld to open these files. If you have recently installed such an application, please run that application and then perform a HotSync operation.

poi.gpi

Install To Card synchronization failed"

After running POILoader, and selecting to install to the SD card, you should find the .gpi file in the directory c:\Program Files\Palm\[username]\CardInst\Slot-SD (or wherever your Palm software is installed). Just move it from there to the relevant directory on the card (using a separate USB card reader, for example), and Mobile XT will find it. You will probably need to create the directory. Don't leave the file in the original directory, or you'll keep getting the Hotsync error.

I'm using the Mobile XT 4.10.30p, and POILoader 2.4.1.0. Not sure if this is relevant.

I'm also not sure if Garmin or Palm is aware of this issue, since it seems such an obvious problem.