easier software ?

LECTRAGLIDE

I have been using gsak with very limited sucess . I use it for the most basic reasons .

I only use it to upload querries to my gpsr . Pretty much else is to difficult .The filters are impossible .

Is there a basic software with basic found not found features .

Some of us just want to geocache .Between ground speak and gsak I am sure I have a few less yrs to live . Is there a way to download pocket querries directly to my gpsr without using GSAK ?

Please keep It simple for me . NASA has not asked me to work for them .

Thanks so much

EasyGPS is a great program. Be aware though it will not mark Found/Not found, you will need to use the Pocket Query options to send you unfound caches.

When I load a PQ of ALL caches in an area (with EasyGPS), I get the closed treasure chest for unfound and owned caches. I get the open treasure chest for previously found caches. What more do we need?

I do wish I could read cache names directly, but all I have to do is click on the waypoint name (GCxxxxx) to be able to read the actual cache name. Not bad for something so easy to use. And since it's free, I'm certainly getting my money's worth.

EasyGPS is a great program. Be aware though it will not mark Found/Not found, you will need to use the Pocket Query options to send you unfound caches.

When I load a PQ of ALL caches in an area (with EasyGPS), I get the closed treasure chest for unfound and owned caches. I get the open treasure chest for previously found caches. What more do we need?

Thanks, I didn't know about that feature. I thought that they all came in and got sent without discrimination or any way of telling found from unfound.

I do wish I could read cache names directly, but all I have to do is click on the waypoint name (GCxxxxx) to be able to read the actual cache name. Not bad for something so easy to use. And since it's free, I'm certainly getting my money's worth.

Now I got one for you, I'm not sure why but when I look at the display on the left side it reads as "Cache name GCXXXX"

On the right side (the map of caches) I see both the name and GCXXXX next to the icon. I have EasyGPS Version 2.3.8, not sure if it matters but I can't find where you would change the settings to tell it to display the names like that.

Has anyone come up with a work around method for this besides PQ's? I don't use PQ's often to load caches onto the GPSr so it's not very handy to use them to filter out found/not found.

Has anyone come up with a work around method for this besides PQ's? I don't use PQ's often to load caches onto the GPSr so it's not very handy to use them to filter out found/not found.

Short of just NOT loading caches that I have already found - I don't know of anything.

GSAK is well worth learning, and once you're familiar with where things are and how the data works, it's not that difficult. Best to find someone local to you who does know it well and have them show you how to do the things you want/need to do with it.

So I've heard. I decided to give GSAK another chance. I use PQ's as a method to filter caches online, then pick and choose from the results. So I'd pretty much given up on GSAK. Besides EasyGPS does everything I want it to with one exception. Pull gpx files from the GPSr and sort them by date/time found.

With your prodding I tried it again (previous attempts resulted in the program not finding the unit, not recognizing gpx files on the unit, etc) and it worked. It worked so well that it felt good. It's like a cramp that suddenly lets loose and the relief feels good.

Thanks for the GSAK poke. There may be hope yet.

what model/brand of GPS are you using? Some of the newer ones have a filtering capabilities built in but you do tend to pay more for such units. GSAK is a very powerful front end for a database. It also has the ability via a macro programing language to allow a user to create personalized screens that would accomplish what you want like say, automatically filter off the previously found caches and load the remainder of the caches to your GPS, i have done this for my area, i can check on a checkbox imbedded in a local map and generate a gps file for a set distance around that point. I did this so i could connect the GPS, clear out the of GPX file and load a fresh one and hit the road in a few minutes.

This is true but my macro launches with one click, I verify the database currently open is the one for the province I'm caching in, another click selects my caching area, a third click generates and transfers the GPX file to my GPS. The filter parametes are preset in the macro so they are always the same. This way, I consistently get the desired results in a few minutes.

If you aren't already aware of it you can set EasyGPS to show the name and the hint when you use it to load the GPX file from the PQ. Go to edit, then preferences, then when it shows the screen with your GPS listed highlight the GPS name and click the geocaching button. There are four drop down windows that you can change. I have the waypoint window show the name and the comment window show the decrypted hint.

what model/brand of GPS are you using? Some of the newer ones have a filtering capabilities built in but you do tend to pay more for such units. GSAK is a very powerful front end for a database.

eTrex 10. Pretty basic. I'm not huge on bells and whistles, but I'm sure I'll upgrade eventually.

Turns out I spoke too soon on GSAK. I'm trying to use fetch caches from the GPSr from the publish menu as I did last night. This time it is telling me "there were no caches selected to fetch. Perhaps your "date" before needs adjusting".

I wish there was a simple program that had more options than EasyGPS, yet wasn't so intricate that it took someone to show you how to use it, and some OJT. :mad:

I'm a computer literate guy, and this is just silly. Google search is mostly a waste of time primarily because there is so much GSAK can do. I wish I knew how to manipulate raw gpx data and could write programs! All I'm looking for is to connect to the GPSr, pull the information from it, sort the caches by found status. Everything else about caching is pretty fun and easy. This program may be great for others who are looking for a powerful way to manipulate large DB's of caches and PQ's. That's not me, and I'm done with GSAK.

Edited by Big Ghoti

Why not just use Garmin's Basecamp program? I do and it allows me to manipulate my Etrex 20 every which way I want :)

It requires net.framwork so I'm hesitant. Recent review of the current version report that it doesn't recognize .gpx files the same way anymore and converts them all to way points. The the process a lot of the information is lost.

I think I'll just get a mini composition book or some other notepad and write down my finds as I make them, and stick with EasyGPS.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and help!

Why not just use Garmin's Basecamp program? I do and it allows me to manipulate my Etrex 20 every which way I want :)

It requires net.framwork so I'm hesitant.

What's your rationale behind that? Most new software written for Windows is written using the .NET Framework, and it is a core component of all Windows installations for the past 10 years. You probably already have it installed and use it all the time.

You may as well say "I'm hesitant to use GSAK because it's written in Delphi."

What's your rationale behind that?

Good question. It's based only on bad luck I've had with it in the past. Probably an unfounded concern.

Most new software written for Windows is written using the .NET Framework, and it is a core component of all Windows installations for the past 10 years. You probably already have it installed and use it all the time.

Doubtful as I downloaded BaseCamp and when I tried to run it, it would not. Came up with an error saying it was unable to find a version of .NET Framework.

You may as well say "I'm hesitant to use GSAK because it's written in Delphi."

That wouldn't be true. I'm hesitant to use GSAK anymore because it won't consistently function even for tasks that are allegedly simple.

Edited by Big Ghoti

What's your rationale behind that?

Good question. It's based only on bad luck I've had with it in the past. Probably an unfounded concern.

Most new software written for Windows is written using the .NET Framework, and it is a core component of all Windows installations for the past 10 years. You probably already have it installed and use it all the time.

Doubtful as I downloaded BaseCamp and when I tried to run it, it would not. Came up with an error saying it was unable to find a version of .NET Framework.

A version or a specific version?

BaseCamp requires .NET 3.5 SP1. It's not unlikely that you are missing that version, especially if you're not using Win7. But I'd say it's almost certain that you have at least .NET 1.1 and/or 2.0 - and probably using it daily.

The system requirements for BaseCamp page says it'll install the required version if it's not already there.

Your concerns really are unfounded though. There was a little trouble with .NET early on but it's been a decade now and it's really quite good.

Edited by dakboy

BaseCamp requires .NET 3.5 SP1. It's not unlikely that you are missing that version, especially if you're not using Win7. But I'd say it's almost certain that you have at least .NET 1.1 and/or 2.0 - and probably using it daily.

The system requirements for BaseCamp page says it'll install the required version if it's not already there.

Your concerns really are unfounded though. There was a little trouble with .NET early on but it's been a decade now and it's really quite good.

While the error said a version, you are probably quite right that it was looking for 3.5SP1. So before I run off and download net framework 3.5 SP1 to make BaseCamp work, any idea if it will do what I want it to do, which is sort caches by Found and Did Not Find status?

While the error said a version, you are probably quite right that it was looking for 3.5SP1. So before I run off and download net framework 3.5 SP1 to make BaseCamp work, any idea if it will do what I want it to do, which is sort caches by Found and Did Not Find status?

I don't have a Garmin, nor do I have a Windows install handy at the moment.

Just go to Microsoft Update and install it anyway (unless you're on a metered internet connection, or dial-up). You'll need it eventually regardless; there's no reason to not have it.

Just go to Microsoft Update and install it anyway (unless you're on a metered internet connection, or dial-up). You'll need it eventually regardless; there's no reason to not have it.

So I went ahead and tried it. BaseCamp loads well, and it looks pretty. I might be missing something but functionally for caching, it seems to be on par with EasyGPS except it's not quite as easy.

Looks like EasyGPS and a notebook it is. Thanks again to everyone for your help.

When you mark a cache found in the field, is there anyway to sort for that when you hook up to it with BaseCamp?