Pilgrimage

sTeamTraen

That has to be the fastest approval I've ever seen! Maybe a whole 30 seconds. :lol: Don't we have great approvers? :unsure:

We have to say "reviewers" now. :unsure:

Thanks for organising this - I've signed up. (If I get denied entry to the US for some past misdeed which I'm unaware of, I'll have my lawyer cancel on my behalf.)

I'll see if I can book something for Tuesday. That way you can either toast your APE success or drown your sorrows if the conditions make it unsafe/impossible to get to. The avalanche danger up there is very high right now - hopefully it will be better in February!

We could probably find a couple of people amongst our group that could accompany you as armed guards :rolleyes:

I wish I could attend the scheduled event, but unfortuatly I'll be slaving away at work.

Edited by Right Wing Wacko
:drama: Hi sTeamTraen, I'm in for the trip to the APE cache on the 5th. The snow is roughly 12ft deep and we'll need to dig for a while... I've requested the day off from work and am ready to go. I tried to hit this cache New Years day but did not have snowshoes and had to turn back before I got too far down the trail.

Just a note to be careful out there. The last two days I-90 has been closed due to avalanches that have buried cars. It was opened today and then an avalanche hit with at least two cars buried. When it closes eastbound, it is usually at North Bend. If that happens when you try for the APE cache, you are out of luck. I have no idea how much snow is covering the cache, but if you do make it up there, you better bring shovels.

There are remnants of several avalanche sheds along the Iron Horse Trail both before and after the APE cache. They wouldn't have been built if the area wasn't at significant risk for avalanches.

Exactly. And the Annette Lake access trail also has some avalanche risk, if I recall.

I really question whether it's wise or safe to attempt the APE cache in the current weather window. Several feet of fresh, unconsolidated snow on top of already near-record snowfall. Heck, could you even find and dig out the cache?

Snoqualmie is experiencing the heaviest snowfall since 1990, with several more feet expected through the weekend. It hasn't stopped snowing there for days, with repeated closures of I-90 (most of the past two days). Despite ongoing efforts at avalanche control on I-90, the largest slide to ever hit the freeway happened this afternoon (natural avalanche, after the controlled ones!), burying a few cars. They were able to rescue everyone, but the freeway is again closed.

And the number of avalanche deaths this year in the Pacific Northwest is also near a record, due to the unusual snowfall patterns.

I'm just sayin'.... caching isn't worth your life. (I'm sure LandRover would agree. :D)

Edited by hydnsek

There are remnants of several avalanche sheds along the Iron Horse Trail both before and after the APE cache. They wouldn't have been built if the area wasn't at significant risk for avalanches.

Exactly. And the Annette Lake access trail also has some avalanche risk, if I recall.

I really question whether it's wise or safe to attempt the APE cache in the current weather window. Several feet of fresh, unconsolidated snow on top of already near-record snowfall. Heck, could you even find and dig out the cache?

Snoqualmie is experiencing the heaviest snowfall since 1990, with several more feet expected through the weekend. It hasn't stopped snowing there for days, with repeated closures of I-90 (most of the past two days). Despite ongoing efforts at avalanche control on I-90, the largest slide to ever hit the freeway happened this afternoon (natural avalanche, after the controlled ones!), burying a few cars. They were able to rescue everyone, but the freeway is again closed.

And the number of avalanche deaths this year in the Pacific Northwest is also near a record, due to the unusual snowfall patterns.

I'm just sayin'.... caching isn't worth your life. (I'm sure LandRover would agree. :D)

That's exactly why I bumped this thread. I'm no expert on avalanches and I have no idea if the Annette Lake Trail is prone to them. I know about the avalanche shed just west of the Annette Lake Trail as I found the cache there. I'm not sure if any other portions of the Iron Horse Trail are prone to avalanches, but the one yesterday was totally not expected. Heading up there now seem foolish to me. Just my two cents.

:D This link will help in your decision to go or not.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

As you see the Pass is still closed this morning. The Cameras are helpful. I would say to anyone thinking about this Hike into the APE.. Do Not Attempt! At this time.

Just getting to the Parking area is a problem, this area is not being Plowed, but the roadways are used by a bunch of Snowmobiles.

:lol: MtnMutt

Thanks everyone for your concerns. We will carefully assess the situation every step of the way. If at any time it appears dangerous, we will turn around. We have a few more days to let things settle down. We currently plan to meet in North Bend at 8:40 AM to pick up the north cachers. We will meet at the trail head at 9:00 AM. If anybody else plans to attend, please contact me so I can add you to the list (we don't want to leave you behind, and if we cancel, we don't want you to go alone). Thanks again.

Edited by reino

:D This link will help in your decision to go or not.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/snoqualmie/

As you see the Pass is still closed this morning. The Cameras are helpful. I would say to anyone thinking about this Hike into the APE.. Do Not Attempt! At this time.

Just getting to the Parking area is a problem, this area is not being Plowed, but the roadways are used by a bunch of Snowmobiles.

:lol: MtnMutt

Total agreement. In WSDOT's latest report, they've given up until Friday (at least) on trying to reopen I-90 at the pass.

Conditions & Weather:

Snoqualmie Pass remains closed due to extreme winter conditions from milepost 34 near North Bend to milepost 106 near Ellensburg. The pass will remain closed for at least the next 24 hours. Due to wet, heavier snow, the avalanche threat has increased. Friday, Feb. 1, at 9 a.m. is the earliest WSDOT will be able to assess the effects of this storm and our ability to reopen the pass. WSDOT will continue to update the Web page with the most current information about the conditions on the pass. // Snowing with areas of poor visibility.

Reino, if I trust anyone in this situation, it's you! I'm just sayin'...these are record snow conditions. And even after this storm series passes (hopefully over the weekend), you are going to have several feet of new, heavy, unconsolidated snow in the backcountry (with no avalanche control). Given that an unusually high number of folks have died in avalanches already this year in PNW, some in places they thought safe with much less snowfall (Lake 22), and that the I-90 slide yesterday was unexpected (coming after avalanche control), it just seems overly risky to be hiking in that corridor on Tuesday. And you might not be able to dig out the cache if you got there.

Keep us informed of your plans, so we can monitor and help if needed. Fingers crossed!

Not looking good at all. The latest pass conditions:

Snoqualmie Pass remains closed from milepost 34 near North Bend to milepost 106 near Ellensburg. Extreme winter conditions continue to hit the Cascades and Snoqualmie Pass and avalanche risk is at historical levels. Avalanche control work continues. By 8 p.m. this evening, avalanche experts will be able to evaluate the success of the day’s avalanche control efforts. WSDOT will be able to provide a better assessment of a possible re-opening time. Updated information provided as available // Snowing with areas of poor visibility

It appears that there will not be a pilgrimage to the APE cache. With the pass being under a State of Emergency, and all of the new snow, it does not seem like a good idea. I will discuss other options with sTeamTraen when he gets in town. I will keep you all updated.

It appears that there will not be a pilgrimage to the APE cache. With the pass being under a State of Emergency, and all of the new snow, it does not seem like a good idea. I will discuss other options with sTeamTraen when he gets in town. I will keep you all updated.

Best decision IMHO.

With that being said, you can never go wrong with a trip to Ebey Bluffs. Even on a bad day that's a great cache.

Best decision IMHO.

With that being said, you can never go wrong with a trip to Ebey Bluffs. Even on a bad day that's a great cache.

I admit, I breathed a big sigh of relief when I saw your decision, reino. I was pretty worried.

And totally agree with TM: Ebey Bluffs - excellent alternative!! Do the 3.5 mile loop that includes bluff and beach, and you'll snag 3-4 caches and get two perspectives on the views. Not to mention other great Whidbey Island views and caches, and lunch at the Mad Crab in Coupeville (very scenic with a couple nice caches, too). Can't believe TM didn't mention Mad Crab, I know she loves it. :drama:

Edited by hydnsek

It is a huge relief to see that you decided not to attempt it! An APE icon is not worth risking your lives for. Whatever alternative outing you choose, make sure you get sTeamTraen back in time for his event! :lol:

It is a huge relief to see that you decided not to attempt it! An APE icon is not worth risking your lives for. Whatever alternative outing you choose, make sure you get sTeamTraen back in time for his event! :lol:

I feel that many of us Were worried and wondered :lol: . I'm sure they will still enjoy their visit.