Pilgrimage

sTeamTraen

Well, for my February vacation, it's either Martinique with my wife and daughter, lying on beaches, getting bored... or a visit to where it all began.

No contest. :sad:

So I've booked my flight, hotel, and car hire. Here's my provisional itinerary:

Friday, February 1: fly in to Seattle at 1845

Saturday, February 2: drive to Portland. Visit Original Stash etc.

Sunday, February 3: drive back to Seattle

Monday, February 4: visit Groundspeak HQ

(rest of week to be defined)

Saturday, February 9: fly out at 0830

Now, at some point I will want to do the APE cache. If anyone has been wanting to do this and needs a partner (and can get the time off work), here's your chance.

Otherwise, if anyone would like to meet up for a drink at some point to discuss politics and religion caching in the US and Europe, I'll have some evenings free... :sad:

Nick

The best way in now is via the Annette Lake trail. Once you get to the Iron Horse trail it will likely be a snow shoe hike along that trail. I have no idea how much snow is up there about now, but they were expecting a foot last night and there will be more tomorrow. The APE cache is do-able now, but it is not an easy hike in the snow.

Also, the preferred time to visit Groundspeak HQ is Fridays at 2:00 pm. They set aside that time for pilgrimages so that the employees can focus on their jobs the rest of the week. However, they've been known to make exceptions for long-distance travelers, so check with Signal to get your reservation. :)

The best way in now is via the Annette Lake trail. Once you get to the Iron Horse trail it will likely be a snow shoe hike along that trail. I have no idea how much snow is up there about now, but they were expecting a foot last night and there will be more tomorrow. The APE cache is do-able now, but it is not an easy hike in the snow.

Can I rent snow shoes locally? I have my own but even in lightweight ABS they make a dent in my baggage allowance. Also, what is the elevation of the cache, and the approximate distance of the "no tunnel" hike?

Can I rent snow shoes locally? I have my own but even in lightweight ABS they make a dent in my baggage allowance. Also, what is the elevation of the cache, and the approximate distance of the "no tunnel" hike?

I inquired recently about renting snowshoes and at least REI rents them (sure other places do as well). My brother said if you have a REI membership its very affordable, although was not more specific. If you check the REI website there are a number of locations in the Seattle area.

The hike in is about 2 miles with an elevation gain of about 600 feet. Most of that will be in the first 3/4 mile. The final is about 2600 feet. You can check snow conditions at the summit ski area at this website. The Summit West area is closest to the cache location. All of the ski areas there are about the same elevation as the cache and within a few miles of it.

Edit to add that you will need a parking permit to park at the trailhead. Those are $5 for a one day pass and can be purchased at REI stores in the area. There is no way to buy one at the parking area. That parking area is the Asahel Curtis Park run by National Forest Service.

Edited by WeightMan

One warning. If you take the Annette Lake trail up to the Iron Horse trail, you will cross a foot bridge before you get to the Iron Horse. There is a road (or something) part of the way up. Do not mistake that for the Iron Horse trail. The Iron Horse is a rails to trails trail and this roadway sort of looks like it might be that. It is wide enough, but be careful. I made this mistake, but since I was going to the right after getting to the Iron Horse, I knew I was in trouble soon enough to make my way back. Others have wound up fording the creek and I don't think you want to do that in the winter time.

One warning. If you take the Annette Lake trail up to the Iron Horse trail, you will cross a foot bridge before you get to the Iron Horse. There is a road (or something) part of the way up. Do not mistake that for the Iron Horse trail. The Iron Horse is a rails to trails trail and this roadway sort of looks like it might be that. It is wide enough, but be careful. I made this mistake, but since I was going to the right after getting to the Iron Horse, I knew I was in trouble soon enough to make my way back. Others have wound up fording the creek and I don't think you want to do that in the winter time.

Yes, there is an old logging road that parallels the Iron Horse Trail at a lower elevation. Just remember that the Iron Horse is wide and well-maintained. If you find trees starting to grow in the middle of the road then you're not on the Iron Horse Trail.

I just rented some snowshoes at REI. For members they are $20 per day, no charge for pickup the day before and return the day after. Poles were just $2.

If you make plans to go with someone local, maybe if they are an REI member they could get them and return them for you.

I would very much like to go but unfortunately I will be working during the week.

if anyone would like to meet up for a drink at some point to discuss politics and religion caching in the US and Europe, I'll have some evenings free... :blink:

Nick

This part sounds especially fun!

Does someone want to spearhead an event cache? Say, early evening Sunday evening Feb 3rd? From the looks of Nick's itinerary, this may be the most "easy-to-plan-for" day ...

Your thoughts?

if anyone would like to meet up for a drink at some point to discuss politics and religion caching in the US and Europe, I'll have some evenings free... :blink:

Nick

Does someone want to spearhead an event cache? Say, early evening Sunday evening Feb 3rd? From the looks of Nick's itinerary, this may be the most "easy-to-plan-for" day ...

Your thoughts?

What area are you going to be staying in? Once we know that someone local to that can set up a meet and greet.

Now, at some point I will want to do the APE cache. If anyone has been wanting to do this and needs a partner (and can get the time off work), here's your chance.

I have Tuesday/Wednesday off work, so I'd be happy to head up there with you if you want to go one of those days. I have an extra pair of snowshoes you can use. I've been to the Ape Cache a couple of times, but always through the tunnel, so this would be a new experience for me.

What area are you going to be staying in? Once we know that someone local to that can set up a meet and greet.

I'll be staying near the airport, but I will have a car for the whole length of my trip, so it doesn't have to be all that local. :)

I have Tuesday/Wednesday off work, so I'd be happy to head up there with you if you want to go one of those days. I have an extra pair of snowshoes you can use. I've been to the Ape Cache a couple of times, but always through the tunnel, so this would be a new experience for me.

Wow, that alll sounds great! Can I contact you by e-mail about this?

It will be an interesting trip... I just heard on the TV weather that they're closing in on a 40-year old record for snow at Snoqualmie Pass.

Wow, didn't realize. When I went over Sunday, though, they said Snoqualmie had 14 ft of snow so far this year. Considering they didn't have enough at Thanksgiving to open some of the ski areas, we've made up for lost time in December. Oof!

if anyone would like to meet up for a drink at some point to discuss politics and religion caching in the US and Europe, I'll have some evenings free... :(

Nick

Does someone want to spearhead an event cache? Say, early evening Sunday Feb 3rd? From the looks of Nick's itinerary, this may be the most "easy-to-plan-for" day ...

I'll be staying near the airport, but I will have a car for the whole length of my trip, so it doesn't have to be all that local. :laughing:

I'll organize something if I can get some input on a good place to imbibe in the South Seattle/Tukwila/Renton area.

I may know of a place. We were chatting at work recently during a slow spell between holidays and one of my coworkers is Co-Owner of a sports bar in West Seattle. I had asked him about large groups and he was very open to the idea.

The link to the place is Redline Music & Sports. Their website needs help, but they are near Camp Long so it should be familiar territory for most cachers.

I may know of a place. We were chatting at work recently during a slow spell between holidays and one of my coworkers is Co-Owner of a sports bar in West Seattle. I had asked him about large groups and he was very open to the idea.

The link to the place is Redline Music & Sports. Their website needs help, but they are near Camp Long so it should be familiar territory for most cachers.

Why does it not surprise me that they are Cougar supporters?

On a serious note, I would check that place out first. I have been by there and I'm not too sure about the site.

Edited by WeightMan

On a serious note, I would check that place out first. I have been by there and I'm not too sure about the site.

Nolenator will know. That's his back yard and he likes his beer.

I was thinking South Seattle/Tukwila/Renton because they're close to the airport and easy for people on both sides of the lake to get to.

They just took over this past summer and are making lots of improvements. The place, under previous name and owners, did have some issues from what he said. I've not been there, it's not really my neighborhood, but someplace to think about for possible events. Especially if they've cleaned it up like he claims.

I was thinking South Seattle/Tukwila/Renton because they're close to the airport and easy for people on both sides of the lake to get to.

We had one event at Columbia City Alehouse that went well. It would only work for a small event (15-20 max), but we had a good time there. We kind of took over the upper level in the back. Miss Jenn is more familiar with it. Although I have meant to go back, I have only been there once.

Nolenator tells me the Elliott Bay Brewery Pub is far superior to the Redline if you're in West Seattle.

I'm still thinking South Seattle/Tukwila/Renton is a preferred location because they're close to the airport and easy for people on both sides of the lake to get to.

I'll organize something if I can get some input on a good place to imbibe in the South Seattle/Tukwila/Renton area.

Thank you.

Just an idea for a place to run past PP, How about Old Country Buffet? I had my morning event at the Lakewood location and it worked out really well for upwards of 40 people, and the management was very pleasant to deal with. The prices were reasonable and the selection of food was fantastic. Talk to their management, and a soda or coffee purchase may be all that is necessary.

There is one in Federal Way, ( I know it is a bit south, but just down I-5) and may work out for you.

SEATAC VILLAGE SHOPPING CENTER

1816 SOUTH 320TH STREET

FEDERAL WAY, WA 98003

(253) 839-9207

There is also one in Kent:

25630 104TH AVENUE SE

KENT, WA 98031

(253) 859-3224

Just an idea for a place to run past PP, How about Old Country Buffet?

A tried and true excellent event location indeed, Hawk! Unfortunately, OCB doesn't serve alcohol and they want to hoist a few at this event.

That was the only downside I could think of as well. Never hurts to shoot it out there though.

I would be up to tossin' down a few as well :unsure: . I am just not familiar enough with the area on that side of the pond, to offer any better suggestions.

How much expertise would it take to do this? I have never used snow shoes, but cross country ski and can handle a decent hike, could get my hands on snow shoes and maybe take a practice run before hand- would love to tag along.

How much expertise would it take to do this? I have never used snow shoes, but cross country ski and can handle a decent hike, could get my hands on snow shoes and maybe take a practice run before hand- would love to tag along.

None, really. It's like walking bow-legged. :anicute:

I agree absolutely with what hydnsek just wrote above.

Also, just a tip about clothing: dress appropriately for the winter weather.

That means, among other things, no cotton, if you can help it. I learned that from my 1st snowshoeing! :P

Layers help - you can take off layers as you get a sweat going if you end up exerting yourself more than you realized.

I will keep an eye on this topic and if I can make it (and if my knee is sufficiently recovered from a scope), I'd love to tag along! And I have the advantage of being able to stay with my mother-in-law about 25 miles away!

The more, the merrier! It's looking like Tuesday, Feb. 5 will be the day.

I just made the connection to Feb 3 and SuperBowl Sunday.

Either we find a place with TVs (big ones) or we embrace the fact that many people may choose the game.

I just made the connection to Feb 3 and SuperBowl Sunday.

Either we find a place with TVs (big ones) or we embrace the fact that many people may choose the game.

I only watch the Superbowl for the commercials so it doesn't matter to me, but aren't bars all packed to the gills on Superbowl Sunday? It may not be the best day to hold a geo-gathering at a bar. Maybe we should get some input from sTeamTraen on which day he'd prefer? How about it, sTeamTraen? Lacking any new location suggestions, I guess I'll try to book the Elliott Bay Brewery Pub when we decide on a day.

Lacking any new location suggestions, I guess I'll try to book the Elliott Bay Brewery Pub when we decide on a day.

What's the matter with me? The Columbia City Alehouse is on Rainier Ave, an easier location for people on both sides to get to. So we have two good choices if the group doesn't get too big. :) All we need is a day that is preferably not Superbowl Sunday. What works for you, sTeamTraen?

What works for you, sTeamTraen?

Hey, I'm a geocacher. People set up things in interesting places and I go there. I'm just grateful that they do. :D

I suspect that the Super Bowl will be a bit of a distraction, as others have noted. I know about 2% of the rules of American football and all I can say is: I will sit through that when you guys sit through an international cricket match (5 days, 7 hours per day including an hour for lunch and tea breaks, and 40% of matches end in a draw due to inadequate time).

Perhaps Monday evening (after my visit to GSP) or Tuesday evening (after the epic APE cache hike) would be best. On Friday evening I already have something else planned and I may be making a side trip on the Wednesday or Thursday.

Otherwise, I have a car, so I'm easy as to location. If it's near the airport for a cab home and/or there are any designated drivers who can give me a lift, that would be a bonus, as I can drink instead of driving. :D

I'm really looking forward to the trip... as long as I don't get shot on an evening out. :D

After the edit, my comment did not make any sense so I took it out.

We will not, we promise, take you to any place where that might happen. In any city there are certain areas that I will avoid. That bar is in one of them.

Edited by WeightMan