GPS unit question

vaq45

I have a Garmin GPS 12 that i have used and like it, however, i would like to up-grade to a comparable unit--the problem is that my GPS 12 measures distance in metric/miles/and nautical--I do a lot of in the woods hiking and need to measure distance in feet--does anyone make a unit that does that?-i can't seem to find one-or am i forced to go along with the metric syatem--thanks for the help---Paul

I have a Garmin GPS 12 that i have used and like it, however, i would like to up-grade to a comparable unit--the problem is that my GPS 12 measures distance in metric/miles/and nautical--I do a lot of in the woods hiking and need to measure distance in feet--does anyone make a unit that does that?-i can't seem to find one-or am i forced to go along with the metric system--thanks for the help---Paul

My Garmin (GPSmap 76CS) has 5 options.

1. Nautical (nm. kt. ft)

2. Nautical (nm. kt. m)

3. Statute

4. Metric

5. Yards

I have no particular affection for Nautical or Metric, and selected Statute. But I very quickly became dissatisfied with that setting. And I wonder about the portion of your post stating "I do a lot of in the woods hiking and need to measure distance in feet". Above 527.9 feet the Statute setting indicates distances in increments of .01 Statute Miles. That is a graduation of and a subsequent update every 52.8 feet. Only inside of 528 feet will the GPS automatically switch to units of feet, and more reasonable Go To distance updates.

So I experimented with the Yards setting. Outside of 1000 yards (.57 miles), the Yards setting is identical to Statute. Inside of 1000 yards the GPS automatically indicates in units of yards. Inside of 33.3 yards (100 feet), the unit automatically indicates in units of feet. I find the Yards setting far superior to Statute, but have had very little success convincing anyone of that.

I hope you will find this post informative. Would one of these settings satisfy your need for "feet"?

I have a Garmin GPS 12 that i have used and like it, however, i would like to up-grade to a comparable unit--the problem is that my GPS 12 measures distance in metric/miles/and nautical--I do a lot of in the woods hiking and need to measure distance in feet--does anyone make a unit that does that?-i can't seem to find one-or am i forced to go along with the metric system--thanks for the help---Paul

1. Nautical (nm. kt. ft)

2. Nautical (nm. kt. m)

3. Statute

4. Metric

5. Yards

I have no particular affection for Nautical or Metric, and selected Statute. But I very quickly became dissatisfied with that setting. And I wonder about the portion of your post stating "I do a lot of in the woods hiking and need to measure distance in feet". Above 527.9 feet the Statute setting indicates distances in increments of .01 Statute Miles. That is a graduation of and a subsequent update every 52.8 feet. Only inside of 528 feet will the GPS automatically switch to units of feet, and more reasonable Go To distance updates.

So I experimented with the Yards setting. Outside of 1000 yards (.57 miles), the Yards setting is identical to Statute. Inside of 1000 yards the GPS automatically indicates in units of yards. Inside of 33.3 yards (100 feet), the unit automatically indicates in units of feet. I find the Yards setting far superior to Statute, but have had very little success convincing anyone of that.

I hope you will find this post informative. Would one of these settings satisfy your need for "feet"?

1. Nautical (nm. kt. ft)

2. Nautical (nm. kt. m)

3. Statute

4. Metric

5. Yards

Thanks for the help cardinal red-i will look into a 76 series and see what they got--seems like everytime i turn around,i'm looking at metric these days--vaq45

1. Nautical (nm. kt. ft)

2. Nautical (nm. kt. m)

3. Statute

4. Metric

5. Yards

Thanks for the help cardinal red-i will look into a 76 series and see what they got--seems like everytime i turn around,i'm looking at metric these days--vaq45

Hi Paul

I should have mentioned that my GPSmap 60CS and Etrex Legend C also have those 5 same options.

I expect any recent Garmin will. When they made that upgrade, I'm sure they introduduced it into the entire line. If a Garmin GPS has a USB connection, it will have those 5 options. My old serial connection GPSmap 76S only had 4 of those options (no Yards available). But, the Statute option worked exactly as I described in my earlier post.