Garmin Service?

Lodogg2221

So with all the complaints about Magellans service, I thought Id get a Garmin, got the Vista HCx...

Anyway, Ive been trying to contact their customer service through email for the last 4 days. I keep getting an error message, as in the site is overloaded, or when I begin to type my message, I get booted off, and get the busy server message, or "Unable to process your request at this time". I figured Id ask about the slow speed tracking errors and when the fix would be available if at all...but thats pretty hard to do if you cant get far enough to ask.

Id rather email as opposed to call, just for the sake of having it in writing so to speak...

Anyone else tried lately to access thru thier email link?

Edited by Lodogg2221

I bought a Vista HCx about 2-3 weeks ago and the unit kept freezing up on me. I contacted Garmin both by their online form and by sending them a email at techsupport@garmin.com and the only response I received was that I should reboot the unit. Overall, their service was very poor. I had already tried resetting the unit, removing the memory card, turning off track logging, etc... I googled the freezing problem and it looks like at least a few other people have had the same problem.

Luckily I bought the GPS from Amazon and when I emailed them, they overnighted a replacement to me and included instructions for returning the defective GPS prepaid UPS. The replacement unit has worked with no problems.

What is the issue you are having with the unit? I guarantee you, unless the unit just doesn't start up at all, someone in here can quickly and correctly answer any questions you have about the unit. And if the unit not starting up at all is the case, just exchange the unit.

"I figured Id ask about the slow speed tracking errors and when the fix would be available if at all."

From the middle of my first post...

There is no fix without Garmin fixing it.

If your new GPS unit is working fine otherwise, I would just wait to ask your question. I have had my Vista HCx for several months now and after installing the new firmware, the Trip Computer problem is better. The distance also seems to depend on which other GPSr I am comparing it with. Compared to the distance reported by a friend's Forerunner, the Vista HCx is not off nearly as much as if I compare it with another friend's GPS Mapy60CSx. After a couple of recent hikes, the downloaded tracks compared favorably with the GPS unit's Trip Computer distance.

By the way, Garmin is noted for their excellent Customer Service. If their response is slow now, it is because of what webscouter said, they are being overloaded by many non manual reading users.. :)

I've had the same problems accessing the Garmin help site on the internet, so I'm glad to know it's not just my connection. After several attempts over a few days I've given up trying to send them an e-mail. I did talk to them on the phone after a twenty to thirty minute wait and was happy with the knowledgeable responses, but I'm currently doing research on whether to buy something or try to use my nuvi for geocaching and it would be too frustrating to call with all the questions that come up. I've gotten prompt and helpful responses to questions posted in these forums, so I think these forums are a good plan B if you can't get through to Garmin. There are several postings on what's happening with the vista hcx, so you may find the answer to that question on these boards.

I know from experience it can take Garmin a while to answer emails. I also know from experience that the phone is the best way to contact their Customer Service. I tried to call last week but the answer message said they were closed for the holidays. Not sure how long they are closed for the holidays but it not uncommon for manufacturers to shut down between Christmas and new Years. I guarantee it’s going to take them a while to dig through and answer all the emails that have piled up.

Bought a 60CSx in November that apparently was faulty... would only acquire satellites intermittently. Called them on their toll free number and they walked me through some debug tests to verify the unit was NG. They overnighted a new one to me with no charge on 12/21. I would try calling them at 800-800-1020 (on the inside cover of my owners manual).