what did i do?

lkrus

i found a demo ver.of metroguide for the pc(not trying to steal any thing just like to try it out before i spend that kind of money on software) and installed it was playing around with it and installed maps on my GPSr now it (gps unit)is stuck in "DEMO Mode" how can i fix this HELP!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lkrus

Is your GPS receiver stuck in Demo mode? Or is your software stuck in demo mode? Maybe your receiver has an option to shut off and not use uploaded maps and just use the generic stuff that comes with it. I would also suggest purchasing Mapsource Metroguide. It has been awesome for me. When you upload maps, it gets rid of the old ones first. That would overwrite the Demo maps with good maps. Is that at all a helpful answer?

Is your GPS receiver stuck in Demo mode? Or is your software stuck in demo mode? Maybe your receiver has an option to shut off and not use uploaded maps and just use the generic stuff that comes with it. I would also suggest purchasing Mapsource Metroguide. It has been awesome for me. When you upload maps, it gets rid of the old ones first. That would overwrite the Demo maps with good maps. Is that at all a helpful answer?

the gps is stuck in demo mode i uninstalled the metroguide from the pc but the maps are still showing up in the gps unit

Just a suggestion. Try reinstalling Mapsource from the CD that came with your unit on the PC. Then, open up the generic maps it comes with and send that over to the GPSr.

tried that ...didnt work cant load any map from mapsource not even before this problem????

If you zoom way out in Mapsource, like far beyond what you actually want to see, then click on one particular area, it should show highlighted for that one map that you clicked on. At that point, you should be able to click on send to GPS and have it go over. It works on the Canadian maps. Maybe could be different for US, I don't know.

I'm sure that i am off base here but thought i'd throw this out anyways. My Garmin 76s can be put into "simulator" mode. Might it be possible that this is what you are experiencing?

This mode is accessed through the menu on the satellite page...

Edited by Mudfrog

I'm sure that i am off base here but thought i'd throw this out anyways. My Garmin 76s can be put into "simulator" mode. Might it be possible that this is what you are experiencing?

This mode is accessed through the menu on the satellite page...

i went to the menu ,setup,system and there is a spot there that i can change from NORMAL,GPS OFF and DEMO mode however every time i change it to normal it goes right back to demo????

ok if you have read my other post (http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=180758 ) i loaded a demo version of metroguide on my pc then loaded a map from it to my GPSr.........NOW MY GPSr IS STUCK IN DEMO MODE!!!!!!!!! i cant seem to find away to take off the map i installed on the gpsr i can "uncheck" it so it wont load but cant delete it from the unit.. now i am thinking that if i have a diffrent program that will send maps to it it will overwrite it and hopefully will take it out of DEMO MODE. so if any one knows of a free download mapping program or a trial version that i could use for a quick minute to fix this BIG problem im in i could send over new maps and it would write over the ones thatr are there?????????

Special key startup sequences

The three keyboard keys on the right side of the unit have special significance if held down while powering on the unit. These keys are generally called page, mark, and enter. On the GIII units and some other units the center key is call menu but for our purposes it behaves the same. On Street Pilots the equivalent keyboard names will have to be used. These are page, option, and enter. See below for etrex and emap startup sequences. Other Garmin units typically have some of these special modes as well although the key sequences may be slightly different. I have documented some of them below.

Mark - Holding the mark key down while powering up will totally reset unit. You will lose all user supplied data and preferences. The machine will be set back to factory defaults. Be careful, there is no warning message. All data will be lost!

After a reset

If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

Re-establish all of your preferences such as time zone, daylight savings flag, etc. Reload all your waypoints and saved routes from your backup. I do hope you have a backup. WAAS capable receivers will have to re-establish the WAAS almanac as well.

Edited by Ed & Julie

http://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/secret.htm#reset

Special key startup sequences

The three keyboard keys on the right side of the unit have special significance if held down while powering on the unit. These keys are generally called page, mark, and enter. On the GIII units and some other units the center key is call menu but for our purposes it behaves the same. On Street Pilots the equivalent keyboard names will have to be used. These are page, option, and enter. See below for etrex and emap startup sequences. Other Garmin units typically have some of these special modes as well although the key sequences may be slightly different. I have documented some of them below.

Mark - Holding the mark key down while powering up will totally reset unit. You will lose all user supplied data and preferences. The machine will be set back to factory defaults. Be careful, there is no warning message. All data will be lost!

After a reset

If you have to perform a full reset using one of the sequences shown above you will need to allow the unit to collect a full almanac before normal can be resumed. First a fix will need to be obtained which can take from 5 to 10 minutes of leaving your unit outdoors, stationary, with a good sky view. After the first lock you will need another 12.5 to 15 minutes to get the almanac reloaded. Check the date to insure that the information was reloaded properly. Time will be shown as UTC time since your local time offset was lost in the reset.

Re-establish all of your preferences such as time zone, daylight savings flag, etc. Reload all your waypoints and saved routes from your backup. I do hope you have a backup. WAAS capable receivers will have to re-establish the WAAS almanac as well.

i found a demo ver.of metroguide for the pc(not trying to steal any thing just like to try it out before i spend that kind of money on software) and installed it was playing around with it and installed maps on my GPSr now it (gps unit)is stuck in "DEMO Mode" how can i fix this HELP!!!!!!!!!

What model do you have ?