GeoWoodstock VI

TwoCat

I also would love to see a Mega in the northeast. I would love to go to GW, but it is still up in the air right now because I also want to go to the MWGB. I went to last year's bash and had a great time. I also hope to make it to Pittsburgh for coinfest, so I will be needing funds for those two events.

But who ever plans trips in advance?? :(

To answer Twocat's question on how the GW sites are chosen - Sandy and Sonny (of Podcacher) had several shows (starting with episode 106) dedicated to GeoWoodstock V. During one of the shows, they interviewed one of the coordinators and it seems that first you have to attend at least ONE before you put your bid in. Then there is some type of bidding process that goes on and I don't know the details of that. I do know that this year's location is in Sacramento and I'm sure that they (PodCacher) will be there for interviews and such once again. They have also attended the Midwest GeoBash but I haven't listened to those episodes yet.

I would love to have a GW event up closer to home but since we are going to Ireland this year, I won't be able to travel anywhere else. Maybe someone else could answer the question in more detail.

To answer Twocat's question on how the GW sites are chosen - Sandy and Sonny (of Podcacher) had several shows (starting with episode 106) dedicated to GeoWoodstock V. During one of the shows, they interviewed one of the coordinators and it seems that first you have to attend at least ONE before you put your bid in. Then there is some type of bidding process that goes on and I don't know the details of that. I do know that this year's location is in Sacramento and I'm sure that they (PodCacher) will be there for interviews and such once again. They have also attended the Midwest GeoBash but I haven't listened to those episodes yet.

I would love to have a GW event up closer to home but since we are going to Ireland this year, I won't be able to travel anywhere else. Maybe someone else could answer the question in more detail.

That would almost seem to "load" the events westward/southward.....since none of the events have been in the Northeast, it makes it less likely (of course, not "impossible" though) that attendees are from the Northeast meaning that its less likely that bidders will be from the Northeast, etc.

Maybe they should do like the Olympics or World Cup, where certain regions essentially can't have the event if they recently had it......despite what I say above I find it hard to believe that no one from the Northeast has attended/bidded before.

That would almost seem to "load" the events westward/southward.....since none of the events have been in the Northeast, it makes it less likely (of course, not "impossible" though) that attendees are from the Northeast meaning that its less likely that bidders will be from the Northeast, etc.

Maybe they should do like the Olympics or World Cup, where certain regions essentially can't have the event if they recently had it......despite what I say above I find it hard to believe that no one from the Northeast has attended/bidded before.

I believe there was a group from Erie, PA that put in for GW5.

I believe there was a group from Erie, PA that put in for GW5.

HMM, that's virtually the Midwest......(just kidding) :grin:

How are the GW locactions choosen? And are there any locations in our area that are suitable?

Local groups put together bids. Kind of like the way cities that bid for the Olympics. Your bid will need to show that you have the facilities to handle 2,000 plus cachers for a weekend, including feeding and lodging them.

You'll need to show how you can raise the money to hold the event, various activities to keep the participants happy and I'm sure there are other criteria.

I've thought that a combination of Camp Glen Gray and Ramapo College would be a suitable location. The ATC had their annual meeting there last summer with over a thousand attendees. No reason they can't handle a thousand more (though parking at Glen Gray might be a issue...perhaps addressed with shuttle buses). You do need a group of people who are willing to put a lot of time just putting the bid together and if it's accepted, even more volunteers to run the whole shebang.

Maybe a Northeast event could be held in the quite large Harriman/Bear Mountain state park complex? Or in the pretty vast Adirondack park?

The thing is that you need lodging for 2,000 people. A lot camp, but a lot want hotels.

Perhaps the Watkins Glen area. Several state parks nearby that have camping. Plenty of hotels/motels.

Jim Thorpe--White Have--Hickory Run State Park Pa. Hotels and camping, hundreds of sites. Mtn. Biking, White Water Rafting, Lehigh Valley Gorge Rail Trail. Lots of camping areas there. Whitewater Challenge even has a meal plan, showers, etc. :P I alway pick places I would like to go to. I have been there a few times. They have a shuttle for the 25 mile bike trail. It is out of this world. 2 hrs. 15 from NYC.

Edited by Packanack

Jim Thorpe--White Have--Hickory Run State Park Pa. Hotels and camping, hundreds of sites. Mtn. Biking, White Water Rafting, Lehigh Valley Gorge Rail Trail. Lots of camping areas there. Whitewater Challenge even has a meal plan, showers, etc. :P I alway pick places I would like to go to. I have been there a few times. They have a shuttle for the 25 mile bike trail. It is out of this world. 2 hrs. 15 from NYC.

I completely agree with Packanack - this is a great venue with lot's to do for everyone!

Be aware that there will be a proposal from the Maryland and Virginia geocaching groups for GeoWoodstock VII to take place in Timmonium, Maryland. Expect an announcement sometime during the MegaEvent in Wheatland, California on May 24, 2008. Quill and I are planning on being there.

See if you can convince some people to come from Connecticut, Delaware and New Jersey to come to California. The website geowoodstockvi.com has been up since October.

Tom Fuller & Quill

Crescent, Oregon