Magellan Explorist and Paperless Caching

themorts

I'm attempting to go paperless using my Magellan Explorist 600. I'm both a Mac and Windows user. I would like to use my Explorist to take ALL of the information from a GPX file.

The magellan .gs file does not take in the following information from the .gpx file:

description, cache size, and logs.

Has anyone figured out how to bring these fields into the .gs file? Is it possible to append the data to a previous field in order to get it all?

If this hasn't been done, but someone is willing to collaborate on creating a program to do this, I would be interested.

Drew of TheMorts

GSAK is great for melting a lot of that data into the comments field. But the wall you will run up against (leaving the Explorist unusable for paperless IMO) is the limit to the size of the comment field in the Explorist firmware. IIRC it's something like 55 characters...that won't even handle all the hints, let alone something like the description.

I'm attempting to go paperless using my Magellan Explorist 600. I'm both a Mac and Windows user. I would like to use my Explorist to take ALL of the information from a GPX file.

The magellan .gs file does not take in the following information from the .gpx file:

description, cache size, and logs.

Has anyone figured out how to bring these fields into the .gs file? Is it possible to append the data to a previous field in order to get it all?

If this hasn't been done, but someone is willing to collaborate on creating a program to do this, I would be interested.

Drew of TheMorts

monitoring posts

What you want to do is use GSAK. The cache name can be 20 characters, so you can use "special Tags" to add to the end of the name.

For example: %smart=18 %con1

will give the cache name, (eliminating: A, The, and spaces, and limiting it to 18 characters), then a space, and one letter for the cache size, such as M, R, S, L.

Adding the tag: %last4 gives you the last four log types, such as NFFF, meaning the last log was Not found, the previous were found. There are other tags you can add, just reduce the size of the name.

The hint is limited to 50 characters, and no description can be added.

Edited by EScout

Please Help!!

I've loaded files from the geocaching website onto my GPSr (Magellan eXplorist 400)

and cannot open these files. The only ones I can open are the ones that I mark myself.

I heard that I should go to Menu>Preferences>Active Setup>Geocaches>Select File, but I still cannot open anything. The file extension is .gs and I believe this is what it should be.

Please help, I'm new and have no clue how to completely use the GPSr

First, you take your data or PQ from this site and convert the caches into a geocache file (.gs extension, limited to 200 caches) using a program such as GSAK. IF you have an SD card in your 400, there are two drives, internal and SD, each with several folders. Your geocache file should be in one of the geocache folders, or a subfolder in there that you created. Make sure you are looking at the correct drive,

I tried changing the file name by just renaming the file from .loc to .gs

Is it possible that this had anything to do with the problem?

Probably. You need to convert the file, not just rename it.

Have you tried the Magellan Geocache manager program that came with the unit?

I've tried to use that program but can't make heads or tail or it.

I'll try it again though.

Like I said, I couldn't make heads or tails of Magellan Manager, so instead,

I tried GSAK. And it is wonderfully easier. And now everything is working.

Thanks for the help.

GSAK is a great program, but it's full capabilities can be unknown until you get in and figure it out. I use my iPod Nano and Explorist 600 for paperless cacheing. I originally found a good video that showed exactly how to set up the export to the iPod, but I can't seem to find that link anymore.

http://www.stationstudios.ca/blog/index.ph...hing-with-gsak/

This site has a great overall tutorial that shows how to export the descriptions to the iPod along with other usefull instructions.

Jim

Like I said, I couldn't make heads or tails of Magellan Manager, so instead,

I tried GSAK. And it is wonderfully easier. And now everything is working.

Thanks for the help.

GSAK is a great program, but it's full capabilities can be unknown until you get in and figure it out. I use my iPod Nano and Explorist 600 for paperless cacheing. I originally found a good video that showed exactly how to set up the export to the iPod, but I can't seem to find that link anymore.

http://www.stationstudios.ca/blog/index.ph...hing-with-gsak/

This site has a great overall tutorial that shows how to export the descriptions to the iPod along with other usefull instructions.

Jim

If you are prepared to run the Beta, GSAK 7.2 now has a macro that automatically generates data to your Ipod. You can find it here

I've created a website for eXplorist users. It's mainly geared towards Mac users, but it contains info regarding eXplorists that will be handy for PC users as well. http://chimbisimo.googlepages.com

I don't use the geocaching mode in my eXplorist, for many reasons (which I cover on my site). I prefer to upload them as .upt files to my My POI's folder (Point of Interest files). I use GeoJournal (or GPSBabel) to convert waypoints in .loc or .gpx files to POI files and move them to my eXplorist, and I also use GeoJournal to create a .pdb file which I sync to my Treo 650 which has CacheMate, which lets me go paperless.