What am I doing wrong?

Jester966

I am trying to upload my waypoints from my Vista HCx to MapSource and I get the following error:

The GPS is not responding. Please ensure the following and try again:

1. The GPS is turned on.

2. The cable is connected to your computer.

The unit is on, and connected. When I go to the "Interface Setup" page the GPS says it is connected, and MapSource can "see" it because in the "Save to USB GPS" and "Open to USB GPS" window it shows the unit listed under "USB GPS".

To downlaod the maps I had to select "USB Mass Storage" on the GPS and select "Storage Card Reader" in MapSource - if I tried to download to "USB GPS" I got the same error as above. I was able to update the firmware to 2.50 already, and I have the Garmin USB drivers installed.

So... what am I doing wrong? I had no problems with the Legend, but it wasn't USB.

Thanks!

I am trying to upload my waypoints from my Vista HCx to MapSource and I get the following error:

The GPS is not responding. Please ensure the following and try again:

1. The GPS is turned on.

2. The cable is connected to your computer.

The unit is on, and connected. When I go to the "Interface Setup" page the GPS says it is connected, and MapSource can "see" it because in the "Save to USB GPS" and "Open to USB GPS" window it shows the unit listed under "USB GPS".

To downlaod the maps I had to select "USB Mass Storage" on the GPS and select "Storage Card Reader" in MapSource - if I tried to download to "USB GPS" I got the same error as above. I was able to update the firmware to 2.50 already, and I have the Garmin USB drivers installed.

So... what am I doing wrong? I had no problems with the Legend, but it wasn't USB.

Thanks!

I too just got a Vista HCx. Did you get a "Trip And Waypoint Manager" CD? I think you have to load this into your' pute, and use that. I haven't figured out how to load waypoints to my "Mapsource" Maps though. I can load way points to the manager on my pute and then transfer all the data onto my e-Trex. This is all I can offer. I too am a newbei. Never fear, there are alot of helpful fellow "Cachers out there. We'll both get the answers we need.