eTrex Legend HCx or Earthmate PN-20?

elora_c

I know these questions get asked all the time, but I haven't seen any recent (within the last 2-3 months) discussions about these units.

I currently have an eTrex Legend that I'm looking to upgrade. My main problem with it is satellite reception and accuracy. I live in PA and I lose reception when under any sort of canopy (which is most of the state). My requirements are:

1) Good reception (and accuracy) under trees.

2) Ability to add/delete waypoints easily (I use GSAK to organize my waypoints, currently)

3) Ability to view tracks in Google Earth

4) Ease of use

I have a Garmin nuvi in the car, so I don't need any route planning. This GPS would be strictly for geocaching. I really like the imagery on the Earthmate but don't know if that is actually useful for geocaching (does it have high enough resolution?) or is just pretty to look at. I don't load more than 10-20 waypoints at a time into the GPS, so transfer speeds aren't critical.

To me, the Legend is easy to use. When I get to the trailhead, or general area, I can go to Find Nearest Waypoint, select the waypoint, and then click Goto. It shows me the compass page which has the arrow pointing in the direction I need to go plus the distance to travel. That's the screen I use most. I switch to the map screen when I get to GZ if I can't find the cache. I would want similar screens on the new unit.

Prices seem comparable when considering a bundle of the eTrex Legend HCx with a SD card and the Topo 2008 software. Any suggestions between the two would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Carole

This GPS would be strictly for geocaching. I really like the imagery on the Earthmate but don't know if that is actually useful for geocaching (does it have high enough resolution?) or is just pretty to look at. I don't load more than 10-20 waypoints at a time into the GPS, so transfer speeds aren't critical.

No brainer, get the PN-20.

Actual screen shots from this page:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...;minisite=10020

Check out all the other types of maps that can go on it.

This GPS would be strictly for geocaching. I really like the imagery on the Earthmate but don't know if that is actually useful for geocaching (does it have high enough resolution?) or is just pretty to look at. I don't load more than 10-20 waypoints at a time into the GPS, so transfer speeds aren't critical.

No brainer, get the PN-20.

Actual screen shots from this page:

http://shop.delorme.com/OA_HTML/DELibeCCtd...;minisite=10020

Check out all the other types of maps that can go on it.

Roger that, Benjamin!