Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

I just looked at the pictures on the cache page TL. That camera was a good investment! Good job!

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it!

I'm going to take advantage and announce September's hike to Watson, Watson, my Bacon! for a maintenance run and I'm planning on making it a double overnighter on the Labor Day weekend.

This is a doable day hike and day hikers are very welcome to join me!

Bumping up to the top. Again, I'm planning a 2 nighter, but day hikers are encouraged to give it a go! I'll have the HOTM sig items to pass around for those that do this over the weekend. Time at the trailhead on Saturday will be determined by Thursday evening if anybody will want to meet up with me.

Edited by TotemLake

I just looked at the pictures on the cache page TL. That camera was a good investment! Good job!

Thanks! I'm really enjoying it!

I'm going to take advantage and announce September's hike to Watson, Watson, my Bacon! for a maintenance run and I'm planning on making it a double overnighter on the Labor Day weekend.

Bumping up to the top. Again, I'm planning a 2 nighter, but day hikers are encouraged to give it a go! I'll have the HOTM sig items to pass around for those that do this over the weekend. Time at the trailhead on Saturday will be determined by Thursday evening if anybody will want to meet up with me.

Wather reports for the weekend were making me nervous, but it appears the outlook is improving for this area.

September's hike to Watson, Watson, my Bacon! for a maintenance run and I'm planning on making it a double overnighter on the Labor Day weekend.

Either way, please give me a headcount and expected day you'll be there so I can keep near or not.

I'll have the HOTM sig items to pass around for those that do this over the weekend. Time at the trailhead on Saturday will be about 930 AM with a departure time soon there after.

TH Coordinates

N48° 40.855'

W121° 37.730'

Turn left off Hwy 20 onto Baker Lake Rd at Concrete for 13.7 miles then cross the Upper Baker Lake Dam which will put you onto NF-1107 and follow that to the end (about 7.8 miles).

Because of the cooler night weather, I'm not taking my dog.

Saturday, Aug 30 Partly sunny with a shower Low: 45 °F High: 64 °F

Sunday, Aug 31 Cool with partial sunshine Low: 44 °F High: 65 °F

Monday, Sep 1 Sun giving way to clouds Low: 47 °F High: 70 °F

Courtesy Accuweather

It was a great weekend and was salted with bouts of rain, hail and even a rolling thunder storm directly overhead. Cstmfrmr was the first to find the cache this year. Afterwards we did a hike towards Mt Watson's peak and got within 1000 feet of the glacier. We were close enough to see the cracks in the ice. It was very tempting to make it all the way and touch it, but we decided the impending weather was just a bit too threatening. We made it down before the rain started and shortly afterwards, the thunderstorm rolled in.

There's more to come but I'll let cstmfrmr tell his story and post pics. :rolleyes:

Still working on that idea. I want to come up with something for the Olympics.

How about a thru hike Skokomish to Wynoochee? I haven't checked the miles yet but there are about 4 caches on the route I am thinking. I have never made it to Sundown pass yet.

Or maybe Big Hump?

On another note my pack will be considerably lighter!! :unsure:

I scored big at REI's garage sale in Tacoma. Smaller lighter tent, sleeping bag, pad and more stuff. I saved $575 and shaved 16 pounds off with the new gear!!!!! :) New pack coming soon.

Monday I will see if my doc will let hike again this year.

How about a thru hike Skokomish to Wynoochee? I haven't checked the miles yet but there are about 4 caches on the route I am thinking. I have never made it to Sundown pass yet.

Or maybe Big Hump?

On another note my pack will be considerably lighter!! :D

I scored big at REI's garage sale in Tacoma. Smaller lighter tent, sleeping bag, pad and more stuff. I saved $575 and shaved 16 pounds off with the new gear!!!!! :blink: New pack coming soon.

Hiking from the Skok through to the Nooch is a hike I've been eyeballing for awhile and would like to do it as an overnighter. However, this goes through The Park, right? (I'm not digging out a map to confirm!) If that's the case, Totemlake can't bring the pooch.

You're going to have to post a nice little list of what you scored at the Garage Sale... would love to see how you managed to get your pack down to... FIFTY pounds :rolleyes::laughing::laughing:

michelle

Or maybe Big Hump?

I scored big at REI's garage sale in Tacoma. Smaller lighter tent, sleeping bag, pad and more stuff. I saved $575 and shaved 16 pounds off with the new gear!!!!! :o New pack coming soon.

Hiking from the Skok through to the Nooch is a hike I've been eyeballing for awhile and would like to do it as an overnighter. However, this goes through The Park, right? (I'm not digging out a map to confirm!) If that's the case, Totemlake can't bring the pooch.

You're going to have to post a nice little list of what you scored at the Garage Sale... would love to see how you managed to get your pack down to... FIFTY pounds :rolleyes::laughing::laughing:

michelle

This is a critical issue. She's been left behind twice now, once by me for the overnighter (which was a good decision), and once by the wife and kid to the Disneyland park. She needs a me day. :blink:

Yes it does go through the park.

Starting elevation is about 1500' climb to 4,000. Down to 2600, back up to 3600 and back down to 1500 again at the end.

It looks to be about 11 miles.

That sounds like a super nice, easy, thru hike - or a key swap mid-trail... although the back road between Wynoochee and the Skokomish trailhead is a nice and relatively quick way get back to the other vehicles making the key swap unnecessary.

I'd also love to do the Big Quilcene over Marmot Pass to the Tubal Cain as an overnighter with vehicles on both ends (dogs allowed)... as well as a multi-day cross from one side of the park to the other (no dogs allowed). I've currently got them both slated for next summer/early fall as my free time is pretty much gone for now.

michelle

This is a critical issue. She's been left behind twice now, once by me for the overnighter (which was a good decision), and once by the wife and kid to the Disneyland park. She needs a me day. :laughing:

I didn't even consider leaving her behind as an option. :rolleyes:

michelle

This is a critical issue. She's been left behind twice now, once by me for the overnighter (which was a good decision), and once by the wife and kid to the Disneyland park. She needs a me day. :laughing:

I didn't even consider leaving her behind as an option. :rolleyes:

michelle

I gathered as much. :laughing: Keep the ideas coming!

Btw, I like the ideas of multi-day through hikes as well for ideas for next year.

Edited by TotemLake

Or maybe Big Hump?

I scored big at REI's garage sale in Tacoma. Smaller lighter tent, sleeping bag, pad and more stuff. I saved $575 and shaved 16 pounds off with the new gear!!!!! :o New pack coming soon.

michelle

I got:

1. MSR Microzoid one man tent, weight 3pound 6 oz. packed, cost $80, savings $56
  2. Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag weight 2 pound 6 oz. saved $100
  3. Big Agnes insulated Air Core sleeping pad, weight 1 pound 6 oz saved $35
  4. a couple of different footprints for $10 each and about 9 oz. ea. saving $27
  5. REI Ascent hiking poles $10, saved $90
  6. Rei Sahara hiking pants/removable legs $15 saved $40
  7. Vasque Wasatch GTX Goretex hiking boots for $60 saving $110
  8. Marmot Oracle coat with Precip plus waterproof coating, cost $66, savings $94

The 30 yr old tent weighed 6 1/2 pounds with 1 1/2 pound tarp for footprint. Old sleeping bag weighed 6 pounds and old pad weighed 2 1/2 pounds. Saving 16 1/2 pounds.

Now all I need is a JetBoil, a new hydration bladder that doesn't leak and snowshoes for winter! :blink:

I have a new pack coming. It is lighter and I hope it fits.

I worked 10 hours OT Friday and that paid for all my gear with the savings.

michelle

I got:

1. MSR Microzoid one man tent, weight 3pound 6 oz. packed, cost $80, savings $56
  2. Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag weight 2 pound 6 oz. saved $100
  3. Big Agnes insulated Air Core sleeping pad, weight 1 pound 6 oz saved $35
  4. a couple of different footprints for $10 each and about 9 oz. ea. saving $27
  5. REI Ascent hiking poles $10, saved $90
  6. Rei Sahara hiking pants/removable legs $15 saved $40
  7. Vasque Wasatch GTX Goretex hiking boots for $60 saving $110
  8. Marmot Oracle coat with Precip plus waterproof coating, cost $66, savings $94

The 30 yr old tent weighed 6 1/2 pounds with 1 1/2 pound tarp for footprint. Old sleeping bag weighed 6 pounds and old pad weighed 2 1/2 pounds. Saving 16 1/2 pounds.

Now all I need is a JetBoil, a new hydration bladder that doesn't leak and snowshoes for winter! :blink:

I have a new pack coming. It is lighter and I hope it fits.

I worked 10 hours OT Friday and that paid for all my gear with the savings.

Now if I can just convince him to leave the cast iron fry pan, the kitchen sink, microwave and also the espresso maker. He'd even have a lighter pack. :D

That's awesome! Alderwood REI is having a garage sale next weekend and I'll be making a couple of short sales there to augment my overnight gear.

The sale in Tacoma was to open @ 9:00 am. at 8:30 there were upwards of 200 in line. It snaked all the way around to the front door of the dollar store. It took me35-40 minutes to get in once they opened. There was much hording going on. One guy had a cooler of stuff he was putting back after he sorted through it (like several backpacking stoves). :rolleyes::laughing:

I still did well though and am looking forward to more hikes. :laughing:

Now if I can just convince him to leave the cast iron fry pan, the kitchen sink, microwave and also the espresso maker. He'd even have a lighter pack. :rolleyes:

I understand that. My pack was 62 lbs when I started. It lightened up a couple of lbs on the way when my polar fleece sweater escaped its ties. We never did find it so I hope the finder makes good use of it.

I need to lighten the load up enough to be able to manage more food weight for multi-day hikes (count that as more than 2 1/2 days)... even if it is dehydrated or freeze-dried.

Now if I can just convince him to leave the cast iron fry pan, the kitchen sink, microwave and also the espresso maker. He'd even have a lighter pack. :rolleyes:

Hey! He needs to bring the espresso maker!

We haven't given up getting to that lake, even if a cache there will attract only one or two finders...

Why do it? :laughing: Because it's there! :laughing:

I finally settled on a hike for October. A cache that hasn't been found since 2007 but the owner has checked on it. A South Mountain Surprise.

Date still TBD.

Not a premium member. :anibad:

That still shouldn't stop you, as long as you are along with premium members. Just have them send you the link after they have selected 'log your visit' on the cache page. It was mentioned by someone at Groundspeak in the forums a couple of years ago as a legit back door for situations where non premium members are out caching with premium members.

I finally settled on a hike for October. A cache that hasn't been found since 2007 but the owner has checked on it. A South Mountain Surprise.

Date still TBD.

Not a premium member. :anibad:

That still shouldn't stop you, as long as you are along with premium members. Just have them send you the link after they have selected 'log your visit' on the cache page. It was mentioned by someone at Groundspeak in the forums a couple of years ago as a legit back door for situations where non premium members are out caching with premium members.

jcar is right on. You can log caches as a non-premium member as indicated above. People do it all the time, and cache owners generally don't care (and don't check who's a PM and who's not - I certainly don't).

Date still TBD.

Not a premium member. :)

jcar is right on. You can log caches as a non-premium member as indicated above. People do it all the time, and cache owners generally don't care (and don't check who's a PM and who's not - I certainly don't).

This cache was not a PM cache when it was first placed. I have read a description and remember it. I thought the name was familiar.

There must have been a reason for changing its status after it was approved and had a FTF. I will abide by the owners wish and not seek their cache since I am NOT A PREMIUM MEMBER.

This cache was not a PM cache when it was first placed. I have read a description and remember it. I thought the name was familiar.

There must have been a reason for changing its status after it was approved and had a FTF. I will abide by the owners wish and not seek their cache since I am NOT A PREMIUM MEMBER.

You could just email her and ask whether it's ok.

Speaking for myself, I have no problem with regular members hunting my PM caches, and I suspect it's that way for most cache owners. I've only had a few (none at all right now), and they are/were PM for one of three reasons: 1) to reduce traffic, 2) initially, to give PMs first shot at them, and/or 3) because I wanted to see the audit log of who's viewing the cache page (kinda fun!). None of those are intended to exclude any regular member who wants to log them, and I never check membership credentials on finders. :)

How about Mt. Zion GCKDRH out of Quilcene? It's 3.6 miles RT, with an elevation gain of 1323 feet. Dogs are allowed although a bright orange bandana would be good this time of year.

However - per Ruck's log of March 8th - there's another trail up - the Deadfall Trail. After a bit of googling, I came up with a description and it looks like it can be done as a 3.4 miles car swap. Since it's so short, I was just thinking of parking at the Deadfall Trail (Latitude 47.8928, Longitude -122.9858) and going up that trail and down the main one and back along the roads. This trail claims 3.2 mile RT with 1380 feet gain.

I am now amongst the ranks of the employed. After I find out what my schedule will look like, I'll announce a new hike and date for this month after Monday.

I'm sad to say that all my Saturdays are booked now till Nov. 9

Unfortunately, Sundays are the only days I have with my wife along with a couple of short hours in the evenings. I'm going to have to focus on Saturday hikes.