Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

Scheduling the 22nd for the hike this month. I'm leaning towards Big Hump on the Duckabush Trail . This does have some off-trail hiking towards the end, but there is no bushes to whack through. Consider this to be a moderate hike with great views if the weather allows. Details to follow as we get closer to the date.

I'm in, if only to find out what a duckabush is and why it has a big hump on it. :)

Scheduling the 22nd for the hike this month. I'm leaning towards Big Hump on the Duckabush Trail . This does have some off-trail hiking towards the end, but there is no bushes to whack through. Consider this to be a moderate hike with great views if the weather allows. Details to follow as we get closer to the date.

I'm in, if only to find out what a duckabush is and why it has a big hump on it. :)

Yeah, what he said. :rolleyes:

I'm in, if only to find out what a duckabush is and why it has a big hump on it. :rolleyes:

Sounds like something that lives in Australia! :)

I'm in, if only to find out what a duckabush is and why it has a big hump on it. :rolleyes:

Gp-duck_ic%20topiary.jpg

I'm in, if only to find out what a duckabush is and why it has a big hump on it. :D

Gp-duck_ic%20topiary.jpg

:rolleyes::(:D

From Wikipedia:

The name Duckabush comes from the Indian word do-hi-a-boos, meaning "reddish face", referring to the reddish bluffs in the area.

Phillips, James W. (1971). Washington State Place Names. University of Washington Press. ISBN 0-295-95158-3.

I was up there today. Suggest picking your foot falls well the last couple hundred feet of the approach. Most options are rock with 2+ inches of moss covering it. A slip at that point might be memorable.

Thanks ruck! I appreciate the heads up!

Since the cache owner appears to be joining us, I vote for him to blaze the mossy trail. I'll have my camera ready for any pratfalls. :)

And wow, this is turning into quite the HOTM party! :)

I was up there today. Suggest picking your foot falls well the last couple hundred feet of the approach. Most options are rock with 2+ inches of moss covering it. A slip at that point might be memorable.

Since the cache owner appears to be joining us, I vote for him to blaze the mossy trail. I'll have my camera ready for any pratfalls. :unsure:

And wow, this is turning into quite the HOTM party! :D

Me? Fall? That never happens!

Since the cache owner appears to be joining us, I vote for him to blaze the mossy trail. I'll have my camera ready for any pratfalls. :D

And wow, this is turning into quite the HOTM party! :P

Ummmm.... that's my role. :unsure:

Since the cache owner appears to be joining us, I vote for him to blaze the mossy trail. I'll have my camera ready for any pratfalls. :P

And wow, this is turning into quite the HOTM party! :)

Ummmm.... that's my role. :D

Don't ruin your flask again! :unsure:

I'm calling this HOTM Duck a Bush.

I plan on being at the trailhead by 9AM.

I count 11 total heads not including dogs. I started a tradition at the Twin Falls Lake hike so anybody who plans on being there that hasn't piped up yet, please do so by Thursday at the latest to make sure I have the right head count. This isn't to say you can't come if you don't say something.

I have the coordinates at the trailhead as follows:

N47° 41.099'

W123° 2.441'

Cache page has this for driving directions:

To get to the Duckabush Trailhead, Drive on SR101 to the Duckabush River Road, about 22 miles north of Hoodsport. This road is well signed so you’re not likely to miss it. It’s just past the bridge if you’re driving north, just before it if you’re driving south. Drive up this road for about four miles, the entrance to the Interrorem Nature Trail and the Ranger Hole Trailhead will be on the left at the end of the paved road. Continue on this road for another two miles and the Duckabush Trailhead will be up a narrow spur road to the right.

See y'all there!

I just checked the ferry schedule, and that might be tricky for some of us. The 7:55 Seattle-Bainbridge ferry arrives 8:30, which would give us only 1/2 hour to make it all the way from the Bainbridge ferry terminal to the trailhead. Suspect that's not feasible. :unsure: The only earlier ferry, 6:10 am, gets us there way too early.

Maybe a 9:30 meet-up, instead of 9:00? I'm hoping an hour would be enough to get from ferry to trailhead?

I just checked the ferry schedule, and that might be tricky for some of us. The 7:55 Seattle-Bainbridge ferry arrives 8:30, which would give us only 1/2 hour to make it all the way from the Bainbridge ferry terminal to the trailhead. Suspect that's not feasible. :unsure: The only earlier ferry, 6:10 am, gets us there way too early.

Maybe a 9:30 meet-up, instead of 9:00? I'm hoping an hour would be enough to get from ferry to trailhead?

Probably more like an hour and half or an hour and 45 minutes. You might consider Bremerton if your coming from Seattle. The Bainbrige Island way would be across the 104 bridge, Bremerton would be down 3.

Jim

Edited by jholly

I just checked the ferry schedule, and that might be tricky for some of us. The 7:55 Seattle-Bainbridge ferry arrives 8:30, which would give us only 1/2 hour to make it all the way from the Bainbridge ferry terminal to the trailhead. Suspect that's not feasible. :D The only earlier ferry, 6:10 am, gets us there way too early.

Probably more like an hour and half or an hour and 45 minutes. You might consider Bremerton if your coming from Seattle. The Bainbrige Island way would be across the 104 bridge, Bremerton would be down 3.

Jim

Thanks for pointing that out. But the Bremerton ferry takes longer, and the road distance after doesn't look dramatically different. But I don't know that area, so maybe I'm missing something?

I have been trying out routs using google maps and it really looks like the olympia route is the quickest.

Goody, we can carpool. I'm fine with no ferries; I usually take a road route to Kitsap and Olympics, and people say "why didn't you take the ferry? It's more direct." So this time, I thought I would take a ferry, and folks say "the ferry is not the best choice." :D:D

Edited by hydnsek

I always take the ferry if the schedule and location are good. The Southworth/Fauntleroy ferry saved me 50 miles of driving each way when I was going to UW. Definately worth the fare.

But, if you drive, you get to set your own schedule - subject to all those fun things like traffic. The ferry also has fun things like -gasp- terror threats to disrupt the schedule.

Anyway - since you're coming to my side of the water, I don't have to worry about ferries for this hike. Yippee!!

BTW - TL, please count me as 3 people. Dad and the BF are coming too.

Carpool possibilities for me and 1 large dog, or I can drive with room for 1 more?

I intend to go thru Olympia and leave Black Diamond 5ish

I'm passing through Oly around 7:40.

I'll wave as we pass you going the other way (look for a white Jeep on a trailer, we'll look for a white Jeep being driven :laughing: )... With all this lovely rain and flooding I guess I'm 'glad' I didn't get my "I'll be there" in early.

Ho hum.

michelle

Among all the getting-there options I see, nobody seems to mention the Edmonds-Kingston ferry, which is definitely the fastest way to go from anywhere north of the I-90. After crossing the Hood Canal bridge, do NOT continue all the way to highway 101, but take the exit to Center Road directly to Quilcene, and follow 101 to Brinnon from there. That way, it's just over 1 hour from the ferry to the TH.

If you're coming from farther south, driving around via Olympia may be a good option.

Forget about the Bainbridge and Bremerton ferries altogether. It will add driving time, plus you get stuck in downtown Seattle.

We used to own a lot at Lake Cushman and found that the fastest way from Kirkland was via Olympia. The only time it was a problem was on Friday afternoons, but of course the ferries were all bunged up then as well. If you live a bit further north the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is definitely the way to go. If you are headed anywhere north, like Sequim or Port Angeles the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is the only way to go for sure.

Hope you all have a great time!

We used to own a lot at Lake Cushman and found that the fastest way from Kirkland was via Olympia. The only time it was a problem was on Friday afternoons, but of course the ferries were all bunged up then as well. If you live a bit further north the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is definitely the way to go. If you are headed anywhere north, like Sequim or Port Angeles the Edmonds-Kingston ferry is the only way to go for sure.

Hope you all have a great time!

Great confirmation - thanks! ferries :laughing: