Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

:rolleyes:

You don't expect us all to look it up do you? Where are the links?

B)

What, everyone didn't already have Google Earth with Geocaching kml opened to Tiger Mt?!?! :(

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest.aspx?u=Mahawking

Depending on where the final coordinates land, 'World Records - Early Starters' and 'World Records - Famous Experiments' might be of interest to HOTM. I haven't looked at them in Mapsource to see where they land trail wise. The majority of them are across 18 over at Taylor... (where tomison will get like 7 FTFs today?!? :))

I have been thinking alot about the start time. I really think that we need to be hiking a bit earlier then the proposed 9am start time.

I am thinking that we really want to be hiking by 8am at the latest.

The hike is around 16 to 17 miles and I assume that we won't be moving all that fast by the end. I hope not, but I could honestly see this taking 10 hours if we have to search much at any of the WPs.

Just a thought to kick around.

I think an earlier time is probably a good idea too :lol:

Most people aren't going to do more than 2 mph on the average, so figure the hike itself would take 9ish hours, but throw in caching, breaks, etc and its a real long day.

I hiked Tiger Out & Back yesterday, about the same distance as Completion, but without the elevation gain (at least it didn't seem like there was much elevation gain)

Left at 9, finished after 6:30. I only grabbed a few that deviated from the course for the main event, so I didn't add too much extra distance. Going up I didn't really push too hard and constantly was yielding for bikes. Heading down I was moving pretty fast and regretted not starting earlier as there were some additional caches I would have loved to make a go at but just didn't have enough time.

Ok... planning time for the TMT hike on Saturady, May 17.

Please use LandRover's bookmark for reference.

Please use this cache mileposts to add to your waypoints.

Launch time at the south trailhead is 8AM. That means we should meet up between 6:45-7:15 at the north trailhead gate so we can leave some cars behind for shuttling people back to the south trailhead. This will be the best way to leave the right number of vehicles. The timing has a built in buffer for last minute arrivals.

I suggest we meet outside the gated area and leave the space closer to the trailhead for people entering the trail here. It will also ensure we have a way of getting out after dusk when the gate closes.

This is going to be a very long hike. Pack at least two meals and plenty of high energy snacks to last the day. If you have a water filter, it's best you bring it. I'll have mine and you're welcome to use it.

If we can get a headcount here, it will help to know who to expect. Pass the word around. This is not a WSGA event and does not require a membership to anything. I'm really hoping to see a bunch of you there, otherwise it's going to be a very long walk back to my car. :o

I intend to stay until the last person is off the trail. As a result, I'll be providing frito pies and beer. Aftewrards, we can do as Criminal suggested and make a hearty attempt to dent a keg at an establishment.

If we can get a headcount here, it will help to know who to expect.

Unless something *really* amazing comes up, I'll be there. Really looking forward to this (and completing A Mugsy Hike along the way!)

Me two. Thanks to TotemLake and Tibby's People for inspiring and organizing this hike! :o

Hello... if I can get a Chemo pass for the 17th, can an old person tag along?

I'm still trying to approach the Magical number of 500 for a Turtle pace. If you hold a Cold Beer in front of me, I'll follow you anywhere.

MtnMutt

If you're up for a ~17 mile hike, you're good as gold!

Sounds like a lot of fun. I wish that I could make it but I'll be over on the dry side.

Make sure to record your tracks for the NW trails project!

That area is well covered. A few of us had sent a lot of the Tiger data long before he started the beta. That said there will be at least three of us who will be recording.

WOW I just checked the weather report. High 70's at least on Saturday.

Looks like it will be very warm. At least it won't be raining.

High 70's to mid 80's is the range on the forecast. Couldn't ask for better luck with the weather. :)

:) Some of us have a bit too much padding to like the mid 80's much...

High 70's to mid 80's is the range on the forecast. Couldn't ask for better luck with the weather. :)

I prefer the low 60's, even on a less than 50's day it only takes me about 10 minutes to start peeling layers. It was a very hot day (high 90's) on Tiger a couple of summers ago that convinced me that extra water is not a luxury.

I knew I was in trouble when I stopped sweating. I eventually found a stream that was not dry and was able to drench myself with said water. And although not recomended I filled my hydration bladder with untreated water, I went out the next day and bought a water filter.

Igor: Could be worse.

Dr. Frederick Frankenstein: How?

Igor: Could be raining.

[it starts to pour]

I prefer the low 60's, even on a less than 50's day it only takes me about 10 minutes to start peeling layers. It was a very hot day (high 90's) on Tiger a couple of summers ago that convinced me that extra water is not a luxury.

I knew I was in trouble when I stopped sweating. I eventually found a stream that was not dry and was able to drench myself with said water. And although not recomended I filled my hydration bladder with untreated water, I went out the next day and bought a water filter.

I prefer the 50s-60s too (ok, I really prefer the 40s). It was in the 70s when we did Completion before and it was kicking our butts early on. It was blowing hot air at us near the train wreck and I was out of water by the time I hit Midpoint.

I'm going to bow out on this... I'm hiking on Sunday too and a few days later driving to California. Between the long hike and the forecast for Saturday, it sounds like I'll not want to do anything for a week other than sit about and recover. I regret not being able to hike with Tibby's People (been looking forward to it for months).

Good luck and have fun, but be careful with the heat!

Bummer to hear that, but completely understood.

The hot weather does have me concerned and I'll echo LandRover's sentiment too much water is not a luxury. The upside is, the load will lighten up as you go along.

That being said, we will take necessary stops at water sources to ensure everybody is taken care of. Plenty of rest stops in the shade will help alleviate but I suspect we'll see a relatively high humidity factor play on us as well.

On the plus side; With little or no cloud cover, our daylight is going to last significantly longer.

On the plus side; With little or no cloud cover, our daylight is going to last significantly longer.

I'll have my head lamp(s) anyway just in case.

Another plus side is that a majority of the trail under a pretty good canopy of nice forest so there will be lots of shade. There are a couple of open areas but we should hit those fairly early on before it warms up too much.

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to reading your logs of a succesful journey. I wish I could have joined you all but I will be stuck indoors this weekend. :D

When I hiked the trail last year, it was one of those typical rainy day that likes to disrupt satelite signals and block out views. As a result, it appears that the coordinates for Midpoint are off. However, the hint seems to provide enough information to find the cache. If someone could take good coordinates and email them to me, then I can update the coordinates in the begining's book. Also, we did not find one of the mile markers and I couldn't get good coordinates for a couple others. Please be on the lookout for them and email me better coordinates too please.

Go out and have some fun for me and be sure to bring enough water!

Cheers,

Kiersolvd.

If we can get a headcount here, it will help to know who to expect.

Unless something *really* amazing comes up, I'll be there. Really looking forward to this (and completing A Mugsy Hike along the way!)

Starting here... I guess something "really" amazing happened. The weather got too good. :D You'll be missed.

Ok here's the list of who's going to be there:

For Certain:

Me of course

AndrewRJ

Hydnsek

LandRover

Troublejv

dsvaughn

JustMike

Maybe:

MtnMutt

Superhoser

Tibby's People (2)

love<3 (+?)

Please use LandRover's bookmark for reference.

Please use this cache mileposts to add to your waypoints.

Launch time at the south trailhead is 8AM. That means we should meet up between 6:45-7:15 at the north trailhead gate so we can leave some cars behind for shuttling people back to the south trailhead. This will be the best way to leave the right number of vehicles. The timing has a built in buffer for last minute arrivals.

I suggest we meet outside the gated area and leave the space closer to the trailhead for people entering the trail here. It will also ensure we have a way of getting out after dusk when the gate closes.

This is going to be a very long hike. Pack at least two meals and plenty of high energy snacks to last the day. If you have a water filter, it's best you bring it. I'll have mine and you're welcome to use it. Oh and one other thing.... WATER. You're going to sweat your butts off. Take plenty of water to hydrate with and take advantage of the water stops.

I intend to stay until the last person is off the trail. As a result, I'll be providing frito pies and beer. Aftewrards, we can make a hearty attempt to dent a keg at Issaquah Brewerey .

It's not too late to chime in!

Edited by TotemLake

CHIME...CHIME.. I'm really pushing the limit on getting everything done so I can go.

Now do not throw sticks at me, for I'm not sure I did the right thing but I'm open to a few Slaps to the forehead with a wet Carp, for what I'm about to tell you.

I'm still not sure it's going to work as I need to go out and test it.

First I'm a MAC person..

Second, I wanted to load Northwest Trails into my 60CSx. Note.. NWTP is a PC Program.

Third... I played around with this and that... I think it is now loaded but need those that have used it to verify it is loaded on a MAC GPSR. That is the correct system.

I just know that the Maps are different, I'll bring another GPS in case I hosed the good one up.

CHIME...CHIME.. I'm really pushing the limit on getting everything done so I can go.

Now do not throw sticks at me, for I'm not sure I did the right thing but I'm open to a few Slaps to the forehead with a wet Carp, for what I'm about to tell you.

First I'm a MAC person..

Second, I wanted to load Northwest Trails into my 60CSx. Note.. NWTP is a PC Program.

Third... I played around with this and that... I think it is now loaded but need those that have used it to verify it is loaded on a MAC GPSR. That is the correct system.

I just know that the Maps are different, I'll bring another GPS in case I hosed the good one up.

If you like I could bring my palmtop and load the NWTP on at the trail head, I could also load up the Topo maps at the same time. Of course if you have City Select/City Navigator maps you would loose those when NWTP & Topo get loaded.

First I'm a MAC person..

...psst...

VMWare or Parallels w/a copy of \/\/|^|)()\/\/$ will do a nice job of making those things uploadable for ya.

michelle

I am sore but I had a blast!!!!!!!!!!! thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you everybody that showed! It was a great hike even though we had to cut it short. The heat was debilitating and we ended up with a lot of rest breaks. We did complete the TMT series and everybody took some great pics today! More later.