Hike of the Month 2008

TotemLake

Next Sunday, 3/16 it is. Due to the snowmelt season, I'm thinking a lowland forest hike would proabably be best. The risk of triggering a slide is going up.

After this hike, if all goes well, I will be in a five weekend training session.

Edited by TotemLake

Next Sunday, 3/16 it is. Due to the snowmelt season, I'm thinking a lowland forest hike would proabably be best. The risk of triggering a slide is going up.

After this hike, if all goes well, I will be in a five weekend training session.

I'm there! Oh, and yes I did have to work today, but I begged off because of a back injury...which will be better by the HOTM (assuming I stop lifting people...)

The geo-ignorant spouse may be inclined to join me since I took him to a rockin' cache in NOLA (roof of a 40 story building :anitongue: ) and now he's beginning to think this hobby may in fact be ok.

Hey Prying Pandy should have the day off too...

Whereabouts are you looking for this hike?

-R-

Next Sunday, 3/16 it is. Due to the snowmelt season, I'm thinking a lowland forest hike would probably be best.

I'm game. Where at? Do you suppose Lake Serene/Bridal Falls is snow free yet?

If last year's hike was any indication, Lake Serene will be snowbound. I'm actually trying to stay out of that realm this time. The warming weather along with the recent snow has already caused I-90 DOT to do avalanche control so I tend to pay heed.

Scheduled for 3/16, Sunday, @ 9AM at the trailhead. There are five caches to be found here. Four of them must be found first in order to find the Woods Creek Bonus Cache. According to GeoRoo on the bonus cache, R/T hiking from the gate is about 4 miles if you do all 5 caches. Bookmarked as GeoRoo Skidoo this looks to be a fun series of caches GeoRoo has put together. If you want something warm to eat or drink, I will be bringing my stove.

-=-=edited to add the mileage expected=-=-

Edited by TotemLake

I've done two of the four with LittleBlue, but we ran out of time for them all. So, I might just come along although I'm not sure if I'll walk or bring my new (to me) mountain bike and ride the roads to do the others.

Maybe I can even get LeAnn out there to finish it with us. :unsure:

Next Sunday, 3/16 it is. Due to the snowmelt season, I'm thinking a lowland forest hike would probably be best.

I'm game. Where at? Do you suppose Lake Serene/Bridal Falls is snow free yet?

If last year's hike was any indication, Lake Serene will be snowbound. I'm actually trying to stay out of that realm this time. The warming weather along with the recent snow has already caused I-90 DOT to do avalanche control so I tend to pay heed.

Scheduled for 3/16, Sunday, @ 9AM at the trailhead. There are five caches to be found here. Four of them must be found first in order to find the Woods Creek Bonus Cache. According to GeoRoo on the bonus cache, R/T hiking from the gate is about 4 miles if you do all 5 caches. Bookmarked as GeoRoo Skidoo this looks to be a fun series of caches GeoRoo has put together. If you want something warm to eat or drink, I will be bringing my stove.

-=-=edited to add the mileage expected=-=-

I've done all those, thinking I may tag along though...we love hikign around back there. I'll see if Inmywoods can go too.

No hike for me this month. B)

I am still in trouble from the one last month. :)

I can't take my shiny red truck out till ALL the snow has melted away! :)

But...there's no snow up here... :)

And the "up" here isn't very up at all, so the chances of getting snow are very slim indeed. I want to be able to say, "Oh, yeah, I've hiked with FE, and TL, and the rest of the hikers." So, ya gotta be there! :)

No hike for me this month. :)

I can't take my shiny red truck out till ALL the snow has melted away! B)

Does that even include the white stuff on the top of that big old mountain SE of Tacoma? If that's the case, you may never take out that shiny red truck ever again. :):)

No hike for me this month. :)

What if I promise you won't have to spend the night out there? Will that help? :)

I know the feeling well what you are going through. Just mention French Peak to my wife and you'll feel the air chill really quick.

No hike for me this month. :huh:

I can't take my shiny red truck out till ALL the snow has melted away! :D

But...there's no snow up here... :unsure:

And the "up" here isn't very up at all, so the chances of getting snow are very slim indeed. I want to be able to say, "Oh, yeah, I've hiked with FE, and TL, and the rest of the hikers." So, ya gotta be there! :blink:

And if you want to come up the night before, I'll even give you a place to sleep so you don't have to get up at the crack 'o dawn... thumbs.gif

No hike for me this month. :D

I am still in trouble from the one last month. :unsure:

49663c63-607d-4b15-a377-d90061bfdb6b.jpg

I wondered why my ears were burning last night. :blink::huh:

I spoke to these guys from Ironman's rescue team. They told me that since they work in the area where Ironman had his bit of trouble the last HOTM. If he got stuck again, they would come and get him after the snow completely melted. :blink::huh: Its not fun when you get stuck and the one that your rescuing has to pull you out.

BTW, he forgot to mention that we were driving in the snow (though not much) this weekend. The truck needed a couple pair of ice stakes at one point. :D So you see I do let him out to play. :wacko:

Maybe next time, I would like to go on a HOTM. I'm not the fastest person right now. It gives me a excuse to get out of the house after watching our granddaughter 5 days a week.

Edited by IronMaiden

:laughing::anibad:

Speed is not an issue. My wife is thinking about doing the hike and she isn't much of a hiker these days. She's also thinking about having the day to herself.

As for the hike, This is an easy to moderate hike of about 4 miles round trip mostly on logging roads. There will be some trail hiking but these are short distances.

Looking at the profile, on the way in there there is an 120 foot elevation loss which we'll have to take on the way back out. There looks like about an 100 foot elevation gain near the rock quarry. The more ambitious can scramble up the rock side, while the rest of us can locate the trail and take the easier way up.

I don't know how much the bonus cache will change these expectations but I think I have a general idea and it should be relatively easy to get at it.

What if I promise you won't have to spend the night out there? Will that help? :laughing:

I know the feeling well what you are going through. Just mention French Peak to my wife and you'll feel the air chill really quick.

As well it should. You could have died up there... wearing jeans and all.

Next time: hiking pants.

:anibad:

michelle

Well, hopefully I won't just be waiting for everyone at the start/finish again...I woke up this morning with a sore/sprained/strained ankle that I can barely walk on. :anicute:

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, but if you were to be waiting at the start/finish, I think Mimosas in the AM and Margueritas/beers at the end... :drama: You know, Frito pie is so 2007... :huh:

Well, hopefully I won't just be waiting for everyone at the start/finish again...I woke up this morning with a sore/sprained/strained ankle that I can barely walk on. :anicute:

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, but if you were to be waiting at the start/finish, I think Mimosas in the AM and Margueritas/beers at the end... :drama: You know, Frito pie is so 2007... :huh:

Oooh....what she said! ;)

Well, hopefully I won't just be waiting for everyone at the start/finish again...I woke up this morning with a sore/sprained/strained ankle that I can barely walk on. :drama:

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, but if you were to be waiting at the start/finish, I think Mimosas in the AM and Margueritas/beers at the end... :anicute: You know, Frito pie is so 2007... :huh:

Well, after hobbling around today with the pain slowly receding, it's mostly back to normal now. My body does the weirdest things to me... ;)

But, that doesn't mean we can't do as you suggest anyway...but I'm not made of money, so I'll do the champagne and OJ of someone else wants to do the Tequila/beer...

Might there be any interest in meeting at Eddie's in Monroe for sustenance and libations after we cross the finish line? It's quickly becoming a regular hangout for cachers after a day of hiking, caching, snowshoeing, etc. From what I hear, their burgers are divine (as a vegetarian, I can't give you my opinion) and I know for a fact that their homemade steak fries (regular or sweet potato) are yummy.

:drama::anicute: I shoulda just changed my clothes like I had originally planned.

At least I didn't spend the night. :huh:;)

;)

The 'overnight' I spent there would be the part that made me decide I didn't think highly of the Jetboil French Press... da*n funny stuff tho.

I was actually thinking about thinking about making that 'hike' again... or rather, thinking about making an attempt.

michelle

B):blink: I shoulda just changed my clothes like I had originally planned.

At least I didn't spend the night. B):rolleyes:

B)

The 'overnight' I spent there would be the part that made me decide I didn't think highly of the Jetboil French Press... da*n funny stuff tho.

I was actually thinking about thinking about making that 'hike' again... or rather, thinking about making an attempt.

michelle

Yah they say time makes you forget the pain... I call it old age making you forget. :D

IIRC, there wasn't a lot of parking up there...maybe 4-6 cars.

I'd recommend if possible, people meet up in Monroe...my place is always an option for anyone...and carpool up.

If anyone wants coords, PM or email me.

Edited by Allanon

Well, hopefully I won't just be waiting for everyone at the start/finish again...I woke up this morning with a sore/sprained/strained ankle that I can barely walk on. :ph34r:

I'm sorry to hear about your ankle, but if you were to be waiting at the start/finish, I think Mimosas in the AM and Margueritas/beers at the end... :ph34r: You know, Frito pie is so 2007... :)

Well, after hobbling around today with the pain slowly receding, it's mostly back to normal now. My body does the weirdest things to me... :ph34r:

But, that doesn't mean we can't do as you suggest anyway...but I'm not made of money, so I'll do the champagne and OJ of someone else wants to do the Tequila/beer...

First I will be there for the hike.

Second I have the tequila if someone brings the beer.

Third, maybe I can carpool with LB

It's been a tough week and I need a good day outside. Sunday looks to bless us with sunshine for the better part of the day. Even though we will be on a logging road for the majority of the time, the trail brush may be dripping wet. Bring gators if you gottem. If I remember this time, I'll break in (please note I didn't say bend, fold or mutilate) my new flask.

Edited by TotemLake

We got home just a bit ago. We dilly dallied in Monroe for bit, bought some Irish Soda bread, had Indian food (YUMMY!) and sauntered over the pass (ok, I slept). The house smells fantastic from a brisket I put in a crock pot this morning. What an awesome ending to an already awesome day.

We had a great time. This has got to be the biggest turnout yet. Hugs and Kisses to Allanon who made Mimosas. :(

I'll catch you all in May!!!

Finally, I got to go on a HOTM, and what fun! <_< Enjoyed catching up with a few folks I haven't seen in a while (evergreenhiker!, LittleBlue, robinego), plus the usual suspects (you know who you are), and some newer cachers (square_peg). Great hike, nice caches, with excellent mimosas provided by Allanon to start and finish the adventure (thanks, guy!). Then a few of us skedaddled to Darrington to do that cool cache everyone is talking about.

Thanks to TotemLake for continuing to organize these nice outings. :( Looking forward to the Big Adventure on May 17 (Tiger Mtn, 16 miles, woo hoo).

Thing 1 and I had a great walk. She now wants a rock quarry in the backyard. Nice to see everyone- happy caching!

Some of us that grew up in this area, had them in our back yards...or not very far away... :lol:

Of course, that was the good ol days of the 1960's-70's... :)

I know I'm jumping the gun, but how long (time wise) will the Tiger Mtn hike be and what time do you plan on begining the hike?

I'm giving it some serious consideration and I need to make sure I request that day off now. I work until at least 0100 and will get to bed and asleep ~0200 (if I push it) Sat AM then driving 2-2.5 hours after only a few hours of sleep really messes with my positive outlook on life. (hush Patudles, I do to have one :laughing: )

I'll talk to the "geo-ignorant spouse" about his participation (AKA; chauffeuring)

I know I'm jumping the gun, but how long (time wise) will the Tiger Mtn hike be and what time do you plan on begining the hike?

I'm giving it some serious consideration and I need to make sure I request that day off now. I work until at least 0100 and will get to bed and asleep ~0200 (if I push it) Sat AM then driving 2-2.5 hours after only a few hours of sleep really messes with my positive outlook on life. (hush Patudles, I do to have one :laughing: )

I'll talk to the "geo-ignorant spouse" about his participation (AKA; chauffeuring)

Yah yah quit pushin'. :rolleyes: Give me a coupla days to map it out and I'll get back at ya.

Edited by TotemLake

I'm giving it some serious consideration and I need to make sure I request that day off now. I work until at least 0100 and will get to bed and asleep ~0200 (if I push it) Sat AM then driving 2-2.5 hours after only a few hours of sleep really messes with my positive outlook on life. (hush Patudles, I do to have one :huh: )

Stating the obvious? Plan for a long day... a really long day.

Forty-and-Eight has a track log showing 19 miles and 3800' elevation gain. The stated distance is at least 16 miles. I saw reports of 6-10 hours to do the trail.

LandRover was kind enough to put together a bookmark as I don't know the trail at all, and Kiersolvd was good enough to put together some mileposts to add to your waypoints. I fully recommend making the use of both of these to mark your GPS trail.

As this is really the effort of Tibby's People, I'll be coordinating with them on their preferred start time.

-=-=Edited to fix stated mileage.=-=-

Edited by TotemLake