1st time GPSr purchase, Garmin for use with a *Macintosh* (need advice)

eridium

Hi everyone,

I'm on the verge of buying a new, first-time handheld GPS. There are many compelling models, but I think I've settled on the small and light Garmin eTrex Vista HCx GPS. I've spent hours reading as much as I can on handhelds and for now I believe the eTrex with the City Navigator USA map will suffice.

My principle question lies with loading maps onto the eTrex, especially on Mac. I understand that maps come on microSD cards, but isn't it better to buy maps on DVD then load/activate them via computer? So one can:

1. load multiple maps on a larger SD card (is 2 or 4 GB sufficient?)

2. to have more memory for POIs, Geocaching, etc?

So I should probably get an SD and DVD maps. Can these be loaded via Mac?

Evidently Garmin is working on Mac software but a year after making promises it has released an underwhelming patchwork of apps. Still, does this MapInstall software succeed in loading up City Navigator maps? (My understanding is that City Navigator is both a computer program and a mapset)

*MapInstall for Mac*

So long as the map loading is feasible, I'll buy it ... with the hope of getting a computer-based City Navigator for Mac in the future.

If there any tips or experiences you Mac users can share with me, especially on the point of SD/DVD maps, I'd appreciate hearing your advice. Thanks!

PS I'll use it for a mix of functions, sometimes in the car (when I'm lost, as a map, not every day) -- and for walks and travel. Maybe one day for sailing ... and geocaching.

Hi everyone,

I'm on the verge of buying a new, first-time handheld GPS. There are many compelling models, but I think I've settled on the small and light Garmin eTrex Vista HCx GPS. I've spent hours reading as much as I can on handhelds and for now I believe the eTrex with the City Navigator USA map will suffice.

My principle question lies with loading maps onto the eTrex, especially on Mac. I understand that maps come on microSD cards, but isn't it better to buy maps on DVD then load/activate them via computer? So one can:

1. load multiple maps on a larger SD card (is 2 or 4 GB sufficient?)

2. to have more memory for POIs, Geocaching, etc?

So I should probably get an SD and DVD maps. Can these be loaded via Mac?

Evidently Garmin is working on Mac software but a year after making promises it has released an underwhelming patchwork of apps. Still, does this MapInstall software succeed in loading up City Navigator maps? (My understanding is that City Navigator is both a computer program and a mapset)

*MapInstall for Mac*

So long as the map loading is feasible, I'll buy it ... with the hope of getting a computer-based City Navigator for Mac in the future.

If there any tips or experiences you Mac users can share with me, especially on the point of SD/DVD maps, I'd appreciate hearing your advice. Thanks!

PS I'll use it for a mix of functions, sometimes in the car (when I'm lost, as a map, not every day) -- and for walks and travel. Maybe one day for sailing ... and geocaching.

A 2gb microSd card is the largest card supported at this time with that unit. If you need more than that, you will have to get a second card. They are as easy to change as the batteries. 2GB will most likely be enough.

MapInstall for Mac (BETA) will send the maps to the Vista HCx after they have been converted under Windows. Garmin has a way to go before it is at the level of their Windows software title "MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager" but it is a start and I' don't know of another manufacturer that has a GPSr that has OSX software with it. I would be interested to know if anyone out there could chime in.

Here is a screen shot of MapInstall for the Mac connected to a Vista HCx, and there is no memory card in the unit that's why there is an "over by 247.5 KB" in the memory status bar:

365ef787-6dab-4d22-9dae-06cae83bf9dd.jpg

Regarding MAC compatibility. There is improved compatibility. They have webupdater for mac & 2008 City Navigator is Mac compatible. See the following:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3699 and

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/applemac/index.html

It says the new 2008 City Navigator Map Update is Mac compatible. " Well now I am here to tell you about MapManager and MapInstall for Mac. These two beta software programs have been released today and what they allow you to do is convert any MapSource programs you have for your PC into mapping that will work on your Mac. (That's right...you don't have to purchase anything else!).

A quick rundown of the process goes like this:

1. Convert the existing MapSource maps on your PC using the MapConverter program.

2. Transfer those to your Mac by way of Writeable DVD, USB Thumb Drive, or Network Connection

3. Install the maps to the Mac

4. Install the maps to your device. "

Aug 1, 2007 11:20:34 AM | in Apple/Mac , Automotive , Chet's Corner - Tips and Tricks

Today's post has one sole purpose, to bring attention to the fact that our City Navigator 2008 Mapping Updates are Mac compatible. This means you can update the maps on the device, straight from your Mac, Intel or not. It's just another step in our quest to be fully Mac compatible.

1. Convert the existing MapSource maps on your PC using the MapConverter program.

2. Transfer those to your Mac by way of Writeable DVD, USB Thumb Drive, or Network Connection

[/color]

Aug 1, 2007 11:20:34 AM | in Apple/Mac , Automotive , Chet's Corner - Tips and Tricks

Today's post has one sole purpose, to bring attention to the fact that our City Navigator 2008 Mapping Updates are Mac compatible. This means you can update the maps on the device, straight from your Mac, Intel or not. It's just another step in our quest to be fully Mac compatible.

Thanks for the feedback! I, too, face the Mac challenge. Question, though. In step 1, it says to use your PC to convert the maps, before moving them to your Mac. I don't have a PC. Does that mean there's no work around?

Thanks!!

[/color]

Thanks for the feedback! I, too, face the Mac challenge. Question, though. In step 1, it says to use your PC to convert the maps, before moving them to your Mac. I don't have a PC. Does that mean there's no work around?

Thanks!!

our City Navigator 2008 Mapping Updates are Mac compatible
You read the update part?

What would the OP be updating? He would need the FULL version. City Navigator/City Navigator NT are Windows only. The maps would have to be converted first before you can update them. You can do this on a Mac if you have Windows installed on your Macintosh. I have and did. No PC, Writeable DVD, USB Thumb Drive, or Network Connection was needed.

Update your existing North America City Navigator NT DVD to Version 8.0 with this DVD (not available in CD-ROM). This update DVD was released by Garmin on 05 April, 2006.

Update your existing North America City Navigator DVD to Version 8.0 with this DVD (not available in CD-ROM). This update DVD was released by Garmin on 05 April, 2006.

Edited by coggins

Thank you everyone for the useful information.

I have one question that nags more than any other now since I'm about to buy:

Should I buy the City Navigator NT in DVD (010-10816-00) version? Or is it better to just buy the MicroSD (010-10679-50) City Navigator NT?

It seems if you buy the MicroSD preprogrammed version you don't have to hassle with loading up maps and converting etc.

However, a possible disadvantage is there won't be any extra free memory on the preprogrammed MicroSD? And if there are extra PC features on the DVD version ... so this selection is utterly confusing to me.

What's the advantage of buying a blank 2GB MicroSD and loading it with City Navigator NT rather than just buying the preprogrammed version?

Please advise, thank you!

Edited by eridium

Thank you everyone for the useful information.

I have one question that nags more than any other now since I'm about to buy:

Should I buy the City Navigator NT in DVD (010-10816-00) version? Or is it better to just buy the MicroSD (010-10679-50) City Navigator NT?

It seems if you buy the MicroSD preprogrammed version you don't have to hassle with loading up maps and converting etc.

However, a possible disadvantage is there won't be any extra free memory on the preprogrammed MicroSD? And if there are extra PC features on the DVD version ... so this selection is utterly confusing to me.

What's the advantage of buying a blank 2GB MicroSD and loading it with City Navigator NT rather than just buying the preprogrammed version?

Please advise, thank you!

It depends on your use...

The DVD install involves "Unlocking" your maps to the GPSr unit. It can not be used on another unit. That's it. Sell your unit and the maps go with it. Boom gone.

The memory card version has the maps unlocked to the card. You can sell your unit and keep the card for your new unit. This happens when people upgrade their GPS. Or you can sell the card used to another user.

If you get the card version, you can pick up a black card for other maps such as topo's if you need them.

The waypoints and routes are stored in the internal memory in any case. A memory card can expand the track memory if you set up your unit to do this.

Thanks for the prompt reply Coggins.

That's a pretty compelling list of advantages for the preprogrammed MicroSD maps. So if they are so good:

1. transferable / ability to be resold

2. convenient (no need to load/convert/install)

3. cheaper (MicroSD preloaded map costs less than the DVD version + purchased blank MicroSD)

Why would anyone buy the DVD version?

Is there additional software that comes with the DVD version?

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to list the DVD's advantages?

Again thanks ...

That's a pretty compelling list of advantages for the preprogrammed MicroSD maps. So if they are so good:

3. cheaper (MicroSD preloaded map costs less than the DVD version + purchased blank MicroSD)

Again thanks ...

I posted the same question and here's the answer I received.

Oh, for software you want City Navigator. It comes included with the Quest units, but will cost you a bit over $100 extra for the other units.

Should I consider the preloaded mapping software on an SD card or the mapping DVD and a blank SD card?

I recommend getting the City Navigator DVD and a blank SD card. You can put the maps on as many computers as you use. Preplanning a caching adventure on a computer ahead of time using the maps is important for me.

Now, if you owned several different GPS units, getting the maps on the SD card might be the better way to go because you can use the cards in different GPS units. The City Navigator maps are "locked" to one GPS unit, however you can purchase additional "Unlock Codes" for other GPS units.

Again thanks ...

First, you can load the segment/s you need to the card from the computer.

Second you can load different maps such as topo and metro....

Third, you can use the unused card space for tracks...

Forth, you don't have to swap out cards.

Fifth, the Windows software allows you to also transfer waypoints, tracks and routes.

Sixth, you have the maps on you computer to preplan a hiking route etc.

The older versions of City Navigator gave you TWO unlock codes so you could install onto two GPS's. The new version has only one. The older software Metroguide had no unlock code, and can picked up on eBay. It doesn't route but there is a windows app (MetroGold from Geodude.nl) that costs $6.00 that will add this feature.

Edited by coggins

Thanks for the helpful responses separating the benefits of MicroSD vs. DVD installers. Wouldn't it be nice if Garmin explained all this on their website instead of letting customers figure it out themselves?

Following your advice I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, City Navigator NT, and a 2GB MicroSD blank card.

Now for the challenge: getting it all installed step by step -- and on a Mac!

Since you mentioned that one can install just the parts one needs from City Navigator NT, I guess I can just install for my part of America. But as I understand it I have to load this on Windows, then run a conversion utility? (does this convert all the City Nav maps, or do I have to select the region and convert one by one if I'm doing a partial install?)

I figure I'll have to borrow a friend's Windows computer for the first installation (does it have to be connected to internet to be activated? I have a Windows XP machine in the garage and maybe that'll do).

And aside from the installation, does City Navigator work on Mac at all? Or does it need Parallels? I'd rather not install Windows on my Mac, especially for just one program.

Thanks for your help!

Thanks for the helpful responses separating the benefits of MicroSD vs. DVD installers. Wouldn't it be nice if Garmin explained all this on their website instead of letting customers figure it out themselves?

Following your advice I just ordered a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx, City Navigator NT, and a 2GB MicroSD blank card.

Now for the challenge: getting it all installed step by step -- and on a Mac!

Since you mentioned that one can install just the parts one needs from City Navigator NT, I guess I can just install for my part of America. But as I understand it I have to load this on Windows, then run a conversion utility? (does this convert all the City Nav maps, or do I have to select the region and convert one by one if I'm doing a partial install?)

I figure I'll have to borrow a friend's Windows computer for the first installation (does it have to be connected to internet to be activated? I have a Windows XP machine in the garage and maybe that'll do).

And aside from the installation, does City Navigator work on Mac at all? Or does it need Parallels? I'd rather not install Windows on my Mac, especially for just one program.

Thanks for your help!

Garman recomends to unlock the map on the PC before converting it. I believe that you will want an internet connection for this. The MapConverter under Windows (XP works) converts the whole thing. You then get that file into your Mac and run Garmin's MapManager to install the file on you Mac. Run the Webupdater on your Mac to make sure that your Vista HCx is current. Then you can select and send the SoCal maps to your GPSr with Garmin's MapInstall.

MapInstall does not transfer waypoints, tracks or routes as the PC version 'MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager' does, just the maps. To do this you will need some other Mac software such as GPSBabel+ and/or MacCaching.