New and in need of a gps

So I'm new to the game I got a Mio C230 for christmas as a gift thinking it might work i tried and well it didn't so now I have decided that I can't get one for my car and one for geocaching all in the same unit and expect to be happy with it. So i need some help deciding on what to get. I'm thinking a Garmin but color or black and white, CHx or not?? I have no idea and since all the new things are getting ready to come out soon should i wait or so i go ahead??? thanks for all your help ahead of time!!!!! :rolleyes:

lostinthesparks4

And if someone has a good offer for me on one I'm willing to buy it. I have about $120 to spend!!!

Okay, I have the garmin legend which is around the $120.00 new, probably cheaper. You can get it at walmart or dick's sporting goods. It works just fine for geocaching, I haven't been lost yet.... :rolleyes: Sometimes it loses reception (that happens with the basic models) but this never hindered me in finding the cache. I live in PA so I am caching in the woods under canopy. It has slower sat. pick up but once again not in a real big hurry when I am caching. I am not a wizard with electronics so it was great for the newbie... in me. now I am hooked and looking to upgrade.

I bought it when I got started and am currently in the process of upgrading to a little better gps. Hopefully I will be able to use all the added features....

Hope this helps.

Steel City Babes

Looking at your profile I see so far you've mostly done urban micros. If this is how you like to cache then you really don't need a GPS with maps built in.

If so I'd recommend you just getting a simple Etrex H (the yellow one). It has no maps, but it does have the newer high sensitivity receiver. They go for only like $80, and you will have money left over to buy a cable so you can download waypoints straight to the GPS.

Or...

If you plan on doing some hiking caches, and would like maps Garmin sell the Etrex Legend (as SCB decribed above) in a bundle pack. Those go for about $160. I know thats a little more then you say you have but that bundled set is a great deal for a new cacher.

The bundle set includes:

The GPS

Topo Maps CD*

Car Power Adapter

Computer Link Cable**

Video on how to use the GPS

Car Mount for the GPS

* Maps are needed. Even GPSs that can do mapping only come with what are called "base maps" built in. These maps have no topographic detail and only show major roads.

** The included computer cable is a serial cable, so if your computer only has USB (very common if you have a laptop), you will also need to buy a serial to usb adapter. These run a few bucks and you can get them at any electronics store.

This is a link to one of the bundles selling on ebay right now.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Garmin-eTrex-Legend-GP...bayphotohosting

Edited by Elminster7781

The eTrex H is $90 and will find caches for you. I'd take it over the aforementioned Legend because it has far better reception.

Does this come with the equipment listed above? I'm a wanna-be. Got a Magellan SporTrac a couple of years ago on EBay. Still can't figure it out. Trying to figure out what to replace it with. Don't really know what questions to ask to be informed. Thanks for any reply.

Welcome to the Forums! B)

There are some additional low-price options, including the discontinued Garmin Vista C and Legend C which might still be available on eBay. Those are capable of auto-routing with the optional City Navigator maps installed and they connect to a computer with USB.

Any of the new Garmins with 'H' in the name are great, but I recommend making sure the model you choose connects with USB, instead of with the Serial Port. Some computers don't have a Serial port, which means having to purchase a Serial to USB adapter . . . and then getting it to work after spending that extra money.

If you want a GPS unit you can grow with, one you will use for several years without any need to upgrade, I would get the Legend HCx (or Vista HCx if the price isn't too different). You can get Topo maps for it on eBay for less money and start with those. Then, later on you can get the City Navigator auto-navigation maps.

I'm wanting to do both kinds of caching I'm really intersted in the ones i have to hike too due to the fact that my family has a cabin in the mountains of NC. So that said is the basic etrex gonna do what i need or should i try and get some extra money for the newer Garmins with the "CHx" in the title???
You can probably get a heck of a deal on a Legend and some Garmin topo maps off eBay. The older GPSs are more of a challenge in tree cover but thousands of people used them under those conditions for years. The new Garmin units come with much more sensitive GPS chips that make the trees seem invisible. So it's up to you. If you go with the cheaper option, you can always upgrade later. There are a bunch of new models coming out this year.

The bundle deal is good in that it has everything you need. But if you have to get a USB/Serial adapter then it gets tricky as sometimes they are a ummmm, difficult would be one way to describe the experience of getting it working nicely with your PC.

Personally, for a more pleasureable caching experience, for a garmin unit I'd recommend one that takes a microSD card. In a nutshell, they are mapping units, they autoroute, they accept custom POI's (a major benifit for any application). By default this also means they have color displays. The etrexs with external memory are available in the older (less sensitive) receiver denoted by "Cx" and the newer (more sensitive) receivers, aka "HCx" and are all using USB interfaces.

Do you need the latest and greatest? No, A local cacher I know started out with a Garmin II+, did his first 500 with it. I tried my II+ once and immedately updated to a 60Cx, this was after my 60C died, just to much of a step backwards. The original line of etrexes are ok, slower and not so great under cover but you'll still be able to find caches. If you are caching with someone else who has a faster and more sensitive GPS, you may get a little frustrated as the other will probably find it first most of the time.

One last comment, having used both the etrex and gpsmap series, I fnd the etrex's use of double function buttons a bit annoying.

Edited by stickman756

The serial to USB adapter shouldn't be that much of a problem. I've used one when I had my old b/w etrex vista without any problems in XP or later when I got a new laptop with Vista. Windows should recognize and configure without any drivers when you plug it in.

Also while HCX and 60Csx lines are great GPSs (I have a 60Csx now), remember he said he was only looking to spend about $120, putting both of those GPS well out of his price range, for just the GPS itself, not including the extra cost of topo maps and city navigator NT.

Though I do agree as an ex etrex vista user, I really like the button layout of the 60Csx much better.

I am also new to GeoChaching and got a TomTom One, Version 3 for Christmas. Have tried it today, and was very frustrated with it. I am thinking about returning it. It seems that most others are using units from other companies. Perhaps I am doing something wrong, but I have to make the decision in the next few days... keep it or return it. The problem seems to be that when I put the GPS coordinates in, it takes me in some wrong directions.

Good luck... I'd love feedback from others who have tried this unit. :rolleyes:

The eTrex H is $90 and will find caches for you. I'd take it over the aforementioned Legend because it has far better reception.

I received the Garmin eTrex H for the holiday's and found my first cache today. :rolleyes: It does have great reception (I got a signal inside my house and at the bottom level of a parking garage), but I have some issues with it and maybe someone can help me out... I can only zoom in on the waypoint to 50 feet, and it sometimes has me running in circles. I found my first cache more by the clues in the posts than by the gps signal.

Do the other models of eTrex allow for a more close-up view? Do I just need to practice more?

Thanks for your help!

Stephaninie