Locking Geocaches

mm_dancer

I have seen two caches with locks on them.

One was a large one sitting right on the sidewalk of a street in downtown Seattle. It had been modified slightly so a different kind of lock could be added other than the coin operated one.

The other was a small junction box that had a hinged lid and was lockable. So as not to confuse cachers about its contents a label was added that said, "Official Geocache Logging Station."

I made one a few months ago; it is sitting on my desk in my dorm. It may not be exactly what you are looking for since it uses a key. Another good way to mount a combo lock is to put an eye bolt through the hole in the latch, where the bolt is mounted to the frame so the combo lock sits in front of the latch.

How small are you looking for--around a .30 cal size can, or smaller?

I will post detailed pictures in about week when I get back to school.

I saw a cache that was in the style of the junction box that was mentioned.

The lock on it was a "wordlock" style, which you can buy on amazon and other sites for about $10. Search around on that term and you will find plenty.

The cache I found required that you have learned the word that opened the lock. You can set the word to what you want. Pretty cool.

I know you are looking for a container, but folks who are interested in this topic may want to check out the locks that allow a new approach to caching.

yah i already have the lock, its a TO maple leafs dudley lock that i got on clearence at staples for a very reasonable price. but its hard when you live in a small town to find a place to hide something as big as a large ammo can, maybe when the snow thaws more hiding places will present themselves

umm well im just concerned that my large ammo can isnt going to fit in the location (i havent been there in a while) so something smaller than that, that is easy to get my hands on. but definately not a micro cache

Check out hardware stores that have electrical supplies. Some of those boxes have tabs for locking. You can put the cache inside a Lock and lock container to keep it dry and place that inside the steel box.

If you do use an electrical box be sure to label it ti identify it as a geocache. A simple small label that says "Official Geocache Logging Station" will do.

It sounds official so as to maybe deter the non cacher that finds it, but will let cachers know that it is safe to open.

that sounds good, i like the idea of locking an outer box with the cache inside, do some tackle boxes lock? cause i need to put instructions on the outside, so one of those tackle boxes with a flap at the top would work great, thanks for the ideas everyone, you gotten my brain moving!

that sounds good, i like the idea of locking an outer box with the cache inside, do some tackle boxes lock? cause i need to put instructions on the outside, so one of those tackle boxes with a flap at the top would work great, thanks for the ideas everyone, you gotten my brain moving!

Maybe you could find a smaller metal tool box. A lot of them have a way of putting a lock n them.