Vista HCX Backlight Control

sli23sli

I got a Vista HCX for the holidays and it's really a step up from my PDA Catchnav. My wife bought it from REI in early Dec 07 and it had software version 2.3 and GPS SW version 2.3. I sucessfully updated to software version 2.5. The Garmin explanation on the 2.4 to 2.5 software version fix was "Removed the turn backlight on action when unit is initially powered on". I'm not sure what that means because I still have to turn on and adjust the backlight everytime I power it up. Maybe you don't need the backlight on a sunlit day but it hasn't been sunny here since I got it. I was wondering if that was the intent of the fix but it isn't working on mine. I'm still learning how to use it and I'm impressed with its accuracy and utility. Sli23sli

I got a Vista HCX for the holidays and it's really a step up from my PDA Catchnav. My wife bought it from REI in early Dec 07 and it had software version 2.3 and GPS SW version 2.3. I sucessfully updated to software version 2.5. The Garmin explanation on the 2.4 to 2.5 software version fix was "Removed the turn backlight on action when unit is initially powered on". I'm not sure what that means because I still have to turn on and adjust the backlight everytime I power it up. Maybe you don't need the backlight on a sunlit day but it hasn't been sunny here since I got it. I was wondering if that was the intent of the fix but it isn't working on mine. I'm still learning how to use it and I'm impressed with its accuracy and utility. Sli23sli

The backlight used to come on initially when you first powered up the unit. Seems like a weird reason for churning a firmware revision, but I'm sure there's some good engineering reason behind it (I hope for their sake, anyway!). I wish it would preserve the backlight setting between power cycles, too, without having to click the power button twice to get it back to my "user" setting.

If you are hooked to a external power source (ie: USB or automobile 12V DC converter) The back light will stay on. You can also adjust the time it stays on in the system menu.