All set for St Agnes? Isles of Scilly event, June 21st 2008.

Simply Paul

My second 'island cache event' has been approved tonight (Thanks Eck!) and is listed here for you: Britain's Second Most Remote Event (St. Agnes)

It's set for June 21st 2008 for maximum daylight, and is going to take place on the most southerly point in the UK, St Agnes in the Isles of Scilly. There's lots of caches close by, and no shortage in Cornwall and the west country in general, so I hope a good sized group will want to come. It's on the longest day for maximum daylight, and avoids school holidays to help keep travel and accommodation prices down.

More information here as and when I have it.

It's unlikely that I'll be able to get to this event, which is a bit of a bummer. Having pretty well allocated all my holiday allowance for this year (very little of which is cache related) my tentative request for a bit more was met with a polite bout of hysterical laughter which I took to be a 'NO" :yikes:

Time off work booked, guess it wont be long.......

L&H

The time is flying past. Trying to think of everything need to take with me. Don't know whether can pack the kitchen sink :yikes::grin:

it has surprised me how expensive it is to get to the Scillies. (Have only been on day trips or sailed over in small yachts before) :yikes: . Am going to Brussels next month for about the same cost.

tony

An additional prog for those who have been watching "An Island Parish" to get a flavour of the Scillys for the Event on the 21st June, BBC2 has "Wild Scilly: Britains Island Paradise" at 6:40 on Saturday 23rd Feb '08, and its not a repeat!

L&H

I shall try to remember to watch. The "An Island Parish" was interesting this evening. Must try some of the local brew in June :anicute:

ayepee

Looking at the Radio Scilly website, there's been a big falling-out with the producer of An Island Parish about the book he's written of his experiences on the island has been serialised in a national paper... Sounds like good priocrial reactionism to me :D

Oh, and the islands were the feature of last night's 10-minute version of Coast. I've been reading up on the islands in anticipation of my visit. There's more to see than you'd imagine.

I've been reading up on the islands in anticipation of my visit. There's more to see than you'd imagine.

I have always found that as long as your idea of a good time doesn't involve crowds, nightclubs and shopping Malls, then the Scillies has ample ancient remains, historical sights, wildlife and beautiful peaceful scenery.

ayepee

Unfortunately won't be able to make it to this but I went to the Isles of Scilly last year - wonderful place.

If anyone is travelling from London / Reading / Newbury or any of the stations on the First Great Western rail line, there is still an offer of a combined train and helicopter ticket that I used.

There was a large saving to be made (about 50% if I remember correctly) over buying the rail and helicopter tickets individually. I think it was £140 all-in from London when the helicopter alone was close to that.

You can also use the same offer to get a combined train/ferry package.

Hope its of some help:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/f...3e3b6db673.html

NB. its available from these stations: London Paddington, Reading, Swindon, Bath, Pewsey, Westbury, Castle Cary, Bristol Temple Meads, Taunton, Exeter St Davids and Plymouth

Edited by SugarApe

Unfortunately won't be able to make it to this but I went to the Isles of Scilly last year - wonderful place.

If anyone is travelling from London / Reading / Newbury or any of the stations on the First Great Western rail line, there is still an offer of a combined train and helicopter ticket that I used.

There was a large saving to be made (about 50% if I remember correctly) over buying the rail and helicopter tickets individually. I think it was £140 all-in from London when the helicopter alone was close to that.

You can also use the same offer to get a combined train/ferry package.

Hope its of some help:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/promotions/f...3e3b6db673.html

NB. its available from these stations: London Paddington, Reading, Swindon, Bath, Pewsey, Westbury, Castle Cary, Bristol Temple Meads, Taunton, Exeter St Davids and Plymouth

Here is FGW's website on the offer:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=243

Unfortunately it is £280 from London, whereas the helicopter is £132 return (midweek), single train fares from London to Penzance are from £15 and railway/airport transfers are £2. I think I will book them separately!

Lisa

Here is FGW's website on the offer:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=243

Unfortunately it is £280 from London, whereas the helicopter is £132 return (midweek), single train fares from London to Penzance are from £15 and railway/airport transfers are £2. I think I will book them separately!

Lisa

I think the cheapest option is the ferry, especially if Simply paul can get a discount for >15 passengers.

tony

True, but the sailing times mean we would need to stay overnight in Penzance both ways.

Lisa

Thats what we're doing, could have a pre event do like Harris eh, Paul?

There must be a good pub in Penz. Guess we might get a few more locals (1) to that?

H

I was going to approach a local or two about doing an evening event in Penzance on the 24th of June, when lots of folks are coming back (I think) - The boat gets back in at 7.10pm. The Harris one last year worked as everyone had photos to show, so I favour a post-event rather than a pre-event. What do folks think? It'd be great to meet some locals while we're all (numbers still TBC) down there.

Looking at inter-island boat times, my plan to spend a night on each major island doesn't look to be workable so I'll probably set up camp on St Mary's and take day trips out to the islands.

I agree, it's not the once-in-a-lifetime trip St Kilda was, but it still has all the elements of adventure I look for from an 'extreme' cache. A remote location (albeit a holiday one) at the 'edge' of the UK which I probably wouldn't visit without caching, to explore and discover...

If anyone would like a car share from Bucks to split costs, I've several free seats. On the way back I'll be doing some work so may not be able to offer a return seat. Last time this worked out fine as silver-fox went up with me and came back with Pharisee.

I was going to approach a local or two about doing an evening event in Penzance on the 24th of June, when lots of folks are coming back (I think) - The boat gets back in at 7.10pm. The Harris one last year worked as everyone had photos to show, so I favour a post-event rather than a pre-event. What do folks think? It'd be great to meet some locals while we're all (numbers still TBC) down there.

We'd come to a pre- or post-event but we are pretty much committed now to going out to the islands on the Wednesday and coming back the following Wednesday. Well, we will be once we manage to contact the cattery and find out if they have spaces for the moggies that week!

Yep, thats what I meant, post event does it for us, it was getting late and I'd had a drop of agricultural champagne :anibad:

Would be a nice finish to that part of the trip and if a few locals did turn up that would be even better - its always good to meet others.

Thinking of coming PUP?

H

Edited by L8HNB
True, but the sailing times mean we would need to stay overnight in Penzance both ways.

Lisa

Thats what we're doing, could have a pre event do like Harris eh, Paul?

There must be a good pub in Penz. Guess we might get a few more locals (1) to that?

H

I am not sure what my plans are before and after teh event. It depends on other commitments (work ;) ). However, as my son (parkenator) lives in Falmouth, I am sure that we would be free for either a pre or post event meet.

Tony

Now officially calling for a local in the Penzance area to set up an event for the evening of the 24th of June. Nice pub, good view... You know the kind of thing. If no one volunteers, I'll try to sort something out myself, but not knowing the area well, I'd rather leave it in the hands of someone who does. :laughing:

Little bump on this as I sent off my deposit to Garrison Holidays, who run the only campsite on St Mary's (the big island), today. £7.20 per person per night. I've more details for those who want them :unsure:

I've also sent out some emails to people who expressed an interest but haven't yet signed-up to remind them about the event. Additionally, I'm still looking for a local to host a Penzance event on the evening of the 24th as there should be a fair few cachers in the area that night - That's less than three months to go, so this other event could be listed under GC.com's usual time-to-event rules. If I can't find someone by the end of April I'll try to locate a nice pub myself, but I'd rather use a local's knowledge of the area.

Edited by Simply Paul

Paul, if you go to our local cornish forums and post a note on there about a Penzance meet you may get a better response. I think there are some cachers around that area who go on our forums. I am in Newquay so its a bit too far for me to organise and my knowledge of Penzance is not good to even suggest anywhere.

Link for forums is Cornish Forums

Paul, if you go to our local cornish forums and post a note on there about a Penzance meet you may get a better response. I think there are some cachers around that area who go on our forums. I am in Newquay so its a bit too far for me to organise and my knowledge of Penzance is not good to even suggest anywhere.

Link for forums is Cornish Forums

Thanks for that, I just posted. I've also been given a name by Steve (BoL) and dropped them an email.

Thanks for the offer Mrs.B. No expenses I'm afraid, but please, don't let that slow you down :unsure::laughing:

Hey, i emailed you back paul, im more than happy to sort out a pub for us all, i doubt id be able to get over the scillies as i graduate from uni on the friday but there is no excuse for me to meet a gathering in town!!

Be good to advertise this in the cornish forums too, theres loads of cachers down this tiny end of the world that would love a meet in good ol' PZ.

:laughing:

Hey, i emailed you back paul, im more than happy to sort out a pub for us all, i doubt id be able to get over the scillies as i graduate from uni on the friday but there is no excuse for me to meet a gathering in town!!

Be good to advertise this in the cornish forums too, theres loads of cachers down this tiny end of the world that would love a meet in good ol' PZ.

:laughing:

Thanks KT (would work better if your name was Katie), I just replied to your reply. It sounds like you don't need much of an excuse for a celebration, but as this would be a few days after you graduate, I imagine you might get a drink or two bought for you :laughing:

Thanks very much for being up for it. I'll keep an eye on the S/W forums but you're in charge. It'd be your event. Oh, the pressure :laughing:

Edited by Simply Paul

Killing time (procrastinating) whilst working opn my dissertation, I was searching for "wild scilly" trying to find something about the program that was on a while back but instead I came across this thread, all very interesting I hear you say, well to me this thread is, 21st of June is the day before my birthday, and I live on St Agnes, so I might see you all about. If any of you do stay actually on St Agnes you'll probably be down the Turks head in the evening and so be able to tell its me.

Anyway, if you want advice for Scilly just ask.

Thanks for posting, Scilly Guy. Small world, this Internet :laughing:

A couple of guys are staying at the Troytown camp site so I dare say they'll drop by and say happy birthday. If you're around on the Saturday, you'd be very welcome to come along and see what we're up to and what or strange treasure-hunt game is all about. We'll be quiet if you've a bit of a sore head due to early celebrations :rolleyes:

Edited by Simply Paul

Thanks for posting, Scilly Guy. Small world, this Internet :rolleyes:

A couple of guys are staying at the Troytown camp site so I dare say they'll drop by and say happy birthday.

I dare say I may be persuaded to visit the hostrelry. If you listen to my wife, I will be easy to spot as I will be wearing my Anorak ;) (and before you ask, no she doesn't cache ;) )

tony

The fact that I am a member of the site should probably give it away that I am aware of Geocaching, although i have never got around to actually finding any, although are there two on St Agnes, thought I knew where the most south westerly one was but I was wrong. Might have to find the one down the road from me in Newcastle before I go home.

Just giving this thread a bump.

As the weather is slowly improving (at least the rain is warm now :D:lol: ), a few morw cachers may like to join the merry throng at the extreme event in St Agnes.

ayepee

ps I think I now have everything ready for the off in June. :P

Britain's Second Most Remote Event (St Agnes)

A BUMP for this thread, as there's less than a month to go now. Last-minute attendees can probably still find travel by plane or boat as well as helicopter, and accommodation via the Tourist Information Centre on the island: Tel (01720) 422536 or email tic@scilly.gov.uk

Some other useful links:

http://www.isles-of-scilly.co.uk/about-Scilly.html

http://www.simplyscilly.co.uk/home/index.h...id=&_back=1

http://www.duchyofcornwallholidaycottages....lesofscilly.htm

Edited by Simply Paul

I can finally say that I'll be there! I'll be heading over on the Friday and then back to the mainland with everyone else for the 2nd event!

Can I ask where people are staying? Those camping, are you spending all the time pitched at the Garrison and visiting other islands or moving about?

Can I ask where people are staying? Those camping, are you spending all the time pitched at the Garrison and visiting other islands or moving about?

Parkenator and I thought we would be different. We are camping on St Agnes (Troytown),and will hopefully be travelling to the other islands from there, (inter island boats permitting).

We will of course do our best to meet up with the rest of you both prior and post cache event.

Does anyone know which mobile network has the best island coverage?

ayepee