Which One to Buy? -- Geochaching & Driving

icepickjazz

I am looking for a color unit primarily for geoaching and secondary for driving. I have seen several recommendations for:

1. GARMIN GPSMAP 60Cx
  2. Garmin Etrex Legend HCx
  3. Garmin Etrex Vista HCx

Looking to spend $300-375. Of the 3 choices listed above which one and why? Regarding mapping software which should I consider? I have seen 1 or 2 suggestions for Quest or Quest2 but those don't seem as geocache friendly.

Thanks for helping educate me.

Scott

If you buy either the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx, you will be getting newer-generation models with High Sensitivity receivers. They will both auto-route with the City Navigator maps installed. You can also get Topo maps which are helpful when you are hiking.

I prefer the smaller size of the eTrex models. I also prefer the buttons on that model, and the action of the "Click Stick." I find that model easier to use than the multiple buttons and Rocker pad on the 60Cx/CSx.

Others will tell you why they prefer the 60Cx/CSx. :rolleyes:

If you buy either the Legend HCx or the Vista HCx, you will be getting newer-generation models with High Sensitivity receivers. They will both auto-route with the City Navigator maps installed. You can also get Topo maps which are helpful when you are hiking.

I prefer the smaller size of the eTrex models. I also prefer the buttons on that model, and the action of the "Click Stick." I find that model easier to use than the multiple buttons and Rocker pad on the 60Cx/CSx.

Others will tell you why they prefer the 60Cx/CSx. :rolleyes:

That's right, for driving, out of those choices I would say the 60CSx/Cx would be safer because of its buttons and a lack of click-stick. With City Nav and I agree, Topo, and Ram mount you'll be set. And I would say it's actually the SAME generation as the HCx models. Have to wait until perhaps til spring 08 and something like maybe the rumoured Colorado for something that could be deemed to be "newer generation" than these mentioned models IMO.

Of those choices I'd go with the 60 because the buttons are on the front. Though the eTrex HCX units are fine units, the buttons are on the side and not as conducive to use in a vehicle.

The Quest and Quest II will also work great for geocaching. The big negative with them in my eyes is the internal, rechargeable battery. If you're away from a power source for an extended period you are SOL if the batteries run down. They do advertise up 20 hrs on a charge with the Quest units, so that might not be an issue with you.

Also consider the Map 76CSX. It's functionally and internally identical to the 60 units, but because its

form is less popular, you can usually find it cheaper.

Not only are the Quest units not as geocache friendly as the three you list, but their rechargeable lithium batteries are soldered into the unit and can only be replaced by Garmin, unless you know someone good with soldering. On the plus side, I've seen the Quest I marked down to below $300. Garmin must be phasing it out soon.

Yes, I concur that the 60 series GPS' have a more favorable button arrangement. I have a 60CS and also prefer it's button arrangements over the Etrex units. However, I too use my GPS primarily for hiking. I had the monochrome Vista before the 60CS and for my third GPS, I did not hesitate to purchase a Venture CX, then a Vista HCx due to its relative smaller size and lighter weight. It also fits better onto my cramped bike handlebar.

If driving was your primary usage, I'd recommend the 60/76 series. But it's not, so I won't. B)

I am a noob also.

I went with the 60CSx for use on my street motorcycle and for hiking, before I found out about Geocashing.

I am a little miffed at the prices and that the hand held unit is almost not usable straight out of the box B)

A unit aimed at primary use in a car is cheaper, larger screen and has the maps installed..but is cumbersome for hand held use.

The three units listed in the start of the thread are all good units and with extra maps can fill all uses I have found.

The 60CSx having a little larger screen and it is very visible in the sunlight is my pick.

Sincerely,

Lateck

Oh, for software you want City Navigator. It comes included with the Quest units, but will cost you a bit over $100 extra for the other units.

Should I consider the preloaded mapping software on an SD card or the mapping DVD and a blank SD card?

I recommend getting the City Navigator DVD and a blank SD card. You can put the maps on as many computers as you use. Preplanning a caching adventure on a computer ahead of time using the maps is important for me.

Now, if you owned several different GPS units, getting the maps on the SD card might be the better way to go because you can use the cards in different GPS units. The City Navigator maps are "locked" to one GPS unit, however you can purchase additional "Unlock Codes" for other GPS units.

I currently use the Garmin Quest and have loved it since the moment it arrived. Use it for street navigation and Geocaching. Geocaching has been very easy, and have yet to run the battery down. We've yet to plan any hiking adventures that last beyond the life of the batteries so it has not been of issue.

I bought myself a eTrex Vista HCx for use primarily with geocaching but secondarily for street navigation. I couldn't be more happy with the performance. The routing works extremely well with the City Navigator maps and the high sensitivity chipset gives me a good GPSr lock in places my old unit couldn't make a lock at all.

I don't find the controls to be bothersome at all when using with the windshield mount in the car. I have never used any of the other units mentioned, however, so I can't compare.

I can recommend the Vista HCx highly. Get a 2GB microSD card and the proper mapping software and you'll have all you need and more.