Any good for paperless caching?

Simply Paul

I've been given a HP Axim X5 to play with. Apart from a faulty battery, it seems fine. The specification is:

Intel XScale 400Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, 48Mb ROM. There's an SD and what looks to be a CF slot too.

More info here: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/syst...en/K1971en0.pdf

There's no obvious bluetooth on it, so I guess it's no good for hooking a bluetooth GPS dongle to, but could I still use it for holding OS maps and cache pages? And if so, where would the best place to get a USB lead for it be?

Any help would be helpful :back:

I use an Axim X30 with CacheMate and Anquet OS Maps. With a 2GB card I can have all the 50,000 OS maps for Englans south of Manchester. TomTom GB and major roads of western Europe and about 200 cache pages and still have 320MB to spare. Having said that, I dont know if the X% will support 2G cards it may well not take anything bigger than 1G.

My X30 is running Windows Mobile 2003SE. I don't know what the X5 runs but that could be the limiting factor, particularly for mapping programs.

You say it has a faulty battery. That could be a problem. I have 2 batteries for the X30 and with care and plugging into the car for a charge while traveling they will just about last for a days caching with care.