A muggle thought my cache was a bomb

dragonflys

A muggle destroyed my cache and then replaced it. I am not sure who smashes a box they suspect is a bomb but at least they were nice about it :back:

Log

You're assuming they HIT it. It is altogether possible that they SHOT it from a great distance away. :mad: (I've heard stories of geocaches with bullet holes before! :(:back: )

First off, why would a bomb be setting out in the middle of the woods? If you ACTUALLY thought it was one, why the hell would a person then smask it?

If you investigate and look at the cases involving those who have planted bombs not only in the US but elsewhere you will see that they first practice their craft in very remote rural locations. They first start out by taking their practice bombs to these remote locations to make sure they work. Not all their bombs will be successful and they will tweak their designs until they get the results they desire. So finding unexploded bombs in the middle of the woods is not that far fetched. Additionally, we have found booby trap bombs around marijuana fields and meth labs.

Now trying to smash the item by whatever means, even rifle fire, is definitely not a recommended practice for an untrained person.

Edited by Wadcutter

Not too bright muggles, but very kind and considerate. I'll take kind and considerate over brains any day.

Hey! I always wondered why they have "to reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache" as part of guidelines. It all makes sense now. :rolleyes:

Hey! I always wondered why they have "to reduce confusion and alarm when a cache is discovered accidentally, clearly label your container on the outside with appropriate information to say it is a geocache" as part of guidelines. It all makes sense now

What, you never heard of the camo bomb-making outfit called Geocaching.com funded by the terrorist organization Groundspeak?

In a previous career life, I invited a member of ATF to talk about bomb threats to a manufacturing association, and was surprised to learn a couple things.

Number one, they expect someone from the company to accompany the search team in looking for the bomb. An outsider would not know if that briefcase or box should be there, or is a bomb. So you take a tour with them.

If they suspect something of being a bomb, they clear the area and destroy it where it sits. No dismantling, no clipping wires, no moving it, just a blast of water. Property can be replaced, lives can not. If it happens to be sitting on your $3,000 antique desk, bummer for you.

Do not use the same evacuation area for bomb threats that you use for fire. A clever bomber could place a bomb outside where you gather and detonate when you gather. Avoids a risk of getting inside.

I've linked a checklist and most will laugh, thinking that a caller would supply all this info, but many people do, they are calling because they do not want anyone hurt. http://www.state.tn.us/homelandsecurity/bomb_checklist.pdf

Of course, this was an amateur and a rather stupid decision. But in answer toi who would detonate a suspected bomb? The answer is professionals.

I am so bored, waiting on a package and my regular forums are down for a major upgrade. B)

I don't think that they hit it or shot it. I think that they tied a pulley to a tree branch, ran a fairly large diameter 400' nylon rope thru it. Tied one end to one of those Acme 300# anvils, you know like ole Wylie Coyote used on The Roadrunner. Grabbed the loose end of that there rope and took all of the slack out of it. Then they pulled that 300# Acme anvil right up tight to that branch and let go of the rope.

Nothing happens. So they walk up to that tree, you know, the one with the 300# Acme anvil stuck in the pulley. They all stand there staring up at that 300# Acme anvil like deer caught in the headlights.

And wouldn't you just know it? At that very moment The Roadrunner comes screeching around the corner, stops on a dime (I always wondered how he did that), grabs that rope in his beak and gives it a good yank.

THUD!! Pretty funny, huh? :):):)

I do suppose that if it had really been a bomb that it would have gone BOOM!!! Right?

P.S.

Don't tell anyone, but The Roadrunner uses liquid nitrogen cooled disc brakes.

Edited by Team Cotati

my uncle (TeamBeanDare0 is also a geocacher and he told me a stroy that he found on a forum like this one...a man was planting a cache in bushland near a city that no-one goes out to anyway, so he just hung it in the open on a tree anyway he thatought he should come back give it a little cammo and he should spraypaint it and so he comes back an hour or two later with the spary cans and he is walking up to it and he seees all the cops every where and he is saying what the hek is going on...cops thought it was a bomb and then he just walks in and opens it rite up and says it's ok guys...thecops as you could imagane were very angry :ph34r:

Additionally, we have found booby trap bombs around marijuana fields and meth labs.

you are a police officer, right? It is a scary thought that some hiker/cacher would stumble across something like this and trigger a device just by happening to walk past a lab of field. Were those crime scenes in places that a person could just stumble upon or on private property? lucky for him, Pot Cookie Cache Smashing Boy wasn't in the area.

you are a police officer, right? It is a scary thought that some hiker/cacher would stumble across something like this and trigger a device just by happening to walk past a lab of field. Were those crime scenes in places that a person could just stumble upon or on private property? lucky for him, Pot Cookie Cache Smashing Boy wasn't in the area.

Every one I was ever called to, except for 2, were found by the public who then called them in. The 2 others we found when looking for specific fields and we were pretty sure they were wired, and they were. These folks doing these things have all kinds of tactics. We've found some that were baited with money scattered on the ground. That way when they came back to their hides if the money was gone then they knew someone had been back there and picked up the bait. We found one where there was bait money scattered around in sort of an outter perimeter but when you got closer to the doper's hide he then used things like punji pits and fall trees.

They first start out by taking their practice bombs to these remote locations to make sure they work.

Very true. In the far off removed days of my youth, my hobbies included making things go "Bang!" This hobby was always practiced way out in the boonies. Now days they arrest kids for doing what I did for recreation. :ph34r: Of course, I have never left a failed experiment out in the woods for others to find. The contents were too valuable to me, not necessarily in monetary terms, but in time expended.

They first start out by taking their practice bombs to these remote locations to make sure they work.

Very true. In the far off removed days of my youth, my hobbies included making things go "Bang!" This hobby was always practiced way out in the boonies. Now days they arrest kids for doing what I did for recreation. :ph34r: Of course, I have never left a failed experiment out in the woods for others to find. The contents were too valuable to me, not necessarily in monetary terms, but in time expended.

It's amazing to me how many people I know did much the same thing in their youth.

That is so funny.Muggles found one of my amo can cachess recently and signed their names on the log then replaced it in completely the wrong place. I now have to use another cachers coords to go find it and replace in the original hide place. The muggles also left a note saying they thought it was a bomb so opened it up to see if it was. Like DUH what kind of loser would prize open a container they thought was a bomb to see if it was or not. There truly is no one as strange as other folk!

After it happened to me some buddies placed this cache. I thought "no they didn't...".

I know it's serious but you just gotta laugh.

Thats hilarious. I actually wrote - GEOCACHE - NOT A BOMB on one of my caches in an urban area. Shortly thereafter it was stolen. They didnt even dump out the contents. Took my entire ammo can.

I found a geocache at a rest area fence line once that was constructed like a pipe bomb... short metal pipe with two end caps. Quite scary to think what could happen if a muggle (or maintenance guy) stumbled across it.

This could be the funniest thread of the year.

Give that muggle a gold star for admitting their mistake and replacing the container. :huh:

Then give them a charter membership to the Darwin Awards Society. :unsure:

" I thought this was a bomb so I smashed it!" :o

HAHAAAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAH lmao x10!!!!!rofl!!!! :D:blink:B):D:D