Physical geocaches prohibited in ABDSP?

M2

I get the impression that you people think that ABDSP needs the help of geocachers in order to maintain a reasonably trash free park. Is that impression correct?

Not at all. It would be more accurate to say that since ABDSP has a trash problem they can use the help of geocachers to help keep it clean. Most parks don't have a crew like Disneland whos job it is to jump out and sweep up each individual gum wrapper as fast as it hits the ground.

I get the impression that you people think that ABDSP needs the help of geocachers in order to maintain a reasonably trash free park. Is that impression correct?

Not at all. It would be more accurate to say that since ABDSP has a trash problem they can use the help of geocachers to help keep it clean. Most parks don't have a crew like Disneyland whose job it is to jump out and sweep up each individual gum wrapper as fast as it hits the ground.
RK it's a waste of time to talk to that guy. All he ever does is constantly needle us like a troll. It's pointless to argue about the benefits of having a CITO event that hauls out two truckloads of desert trash off a 2-mile stretch of highway every six months. You don't realize how bad the pollution from non-geocachers is in ABDSP until you actually participate in these CITOs to see it and pick it all up firsthand. Yet these polluters are allowed to stay and we get booted. Go figure... :anibad: Edited by TrailGators
Whoooo Hoo . . . a new cache in ABDSP. :):anibad:

Who will be FTF on this one?

ABDSP -- A Virtual Tour of the SW Region

:)

P.S. If anyone is going out there and has room for a passenger, I'd like to go. I want to get more pictures in the "Powder Can Cache" area, and near "Tu-Uncommon; aka Not Your Mummys' Cache."

While I like your idea of a "virtual tour", I can't say that I care for allowing a smiley for each stop. How is that any different from logging waypoints of a multi, or logging an event multiple times for temporary caches? Sniff, sniff, do I smell Wisconsin cheese?

Whoooo Hoo . . . a new cache in ABDSP. ;):anibad:

B) P.S. If anyone is going out there and has room for a passenger, I'd like to go. I want to get more pictures in the "Powder Can Cache" area, and near "Tu-Uncommon; aka Not Your Mummys' Cache."

While I like your idea of a "virtual tour", I can't say that I care for allowing a smiley for each stop. How is that any different from logging waypoints of a multi, or logging an event multiple times for temporary caches? Sniff, sniff, do I smell Wisconsin cheese?

Miragee I have to agree with Snake. I'd hate to see San Diego turn into another Wisconsin. I honestly think completely a challenging multi is reward enough. The point is that you did it and the smiley just documents your adventure! B) Edited by TrailGators

Whoooo Hoo . . . a new cache in ABDSP. ;):anibad:

B)

P.S. If anyone is going out there and has room for a passenger, I'd like to go. I want to get more pictures in the "Powder Can Cache" area, and near "Tu-Uncommon; aka Not Your Mummys' Cache."

I support the continued visitation of the park and the wonderful places that geocaches have highlighted in the park. The cache is a good way around the current policy of this individual park. The cache page is accurate in the events as I have seen them. The do leave out the fact that Groundspeak is still trying to work out a solution and more importantly, the local geocachers are continuing to fight the tons of litter non-geocachers are dumping in desert.

I do think it is a bit inflamatory and is pretty much giving the superintendent the finger. Maybe not the best way to show that geocachers can be reasonable.

I support the continued visitation of the park and the wonderful places that geocaches have highlighted in the park. The cache is a good way around the current policy of this individual park. The cache page is accurate in the events as I have seen them. The do leave out the fact that Groundspeak is still trying to work out a solution and more importantly, the local geocachers are continuing to fight the tons of litter non-geocachers are dumping in desert.

I do think it is a bit inflamatory and is pretty much giving the superintendent the finger. Maybe not the best way to show that geocachers can be reasonable.

Hey that gives me an idea! Maybe someone could make an Earthcache cache called "Jorgy" in his honor! But the problem would be finding a large enough stalagmite out there....LOL

Hey that gives me an idea! Maybe someone could make an Earthcache cache called "Jorgy" in his honor! But the problem would be finding a large enough stalagmite out there....LOL

Interesting idea! Perhaps a stinkhole sinkhole? Is there one of those in the park?

Interesting idea! Perhaps a stinkhole sinkhole? Is there one of those in the park?

There are some geothermal mud pits over in Ocotillo Wells that should have a bit of a smell to them. I can provide the approximate coordinates. Oh but traditionals are allowed in Ocotillo wels and there's a traditional closeby.

I'm sure you could find a fault somewhere in the park and do a pun on that.

Whoooo Hoo . . . a new cache in ABDSP. B)B)

:anibad:

Well . . . people can just post "Notes" for each of the cache locations they visit if they want to. This is a bit different from logging multiple "Attendeds" for finding temporary caches, however. Each extra log, whether it is a "Note" or a "Found it," will include a photo of the person at the location, and a picture of their GPS unit displaying the coordinates.

So . . . for each finder, there should be 12 separate logs, either "Notes" or "Found its," depending on how you want to log it. B) I'll leave that up to the individual cacher. ;)

Not at all. It would be more accurate to say that since ABDSP has a trash problem they can use the help of geocachers to help keep it clean. Most parks don't have a crew like Disneland whos job it is to jump out and sweep up each individual gum wrapper as fast as it hits the ground.

I challenge you or anyone else to attend the next meeting of ABDSP's volunteer goup and explain that to them.

Talk in here is both easy and cheap.

Edited by Team Cotati
Whoooo Hoo . . . a new cache in ABDSP. B)B)

:anibad:

Well . . . people can just post "Notes" for each of the cache locations they visit if they want to. This is a bit different from logging multiple "Attendeds" for finding temporary caches, however. Each extra log, whether it is a "Note" or a "Found it," will include a photo of the person at the location, and a picture of their GPS unit displaying the coordinates.

So . . . for each finder, there should be 12 separate logs, either "Notes" or "Found its," depending on how you want to log it. B) I'll leave that up to the individual cacher. ;)

Would it be OK to just post links to your "Found it" logs for each cache in the series in your one "Found it" log for the multi? You know that you can still log a "Found it" on an archived cache (especially in this case). Edited by TrailGators

I challenge you or anyone else to attend the next meeting of ABDSP's volunteer goup and explain that to them.

What makes you think that nobody has done that? Do you call the psychic hotline before you post? If you do you should get your money back because this weekend I talked to a volunteer that has done exactly that. So why don't you take the multiple hints you have been given in this thread and go spend time in your own local thread? We don't appreciate or need your constant needling because this whole situation is a real bummer for all of us. Edited by TrailGators

What makes you think that nobody has done that? Do you call the psychic hotline before you post? If you do you should get your money back because this weekend I talked to a volunteer that has done exactly that. So why don't you take the multiple hints you have been given in this thread and go spend time in your own local thread? We don't appreciate or need your constant needling because this whole situation is a real bummer for all of us.

I thought when I chose to ignore the forum post of this fellow with the initials of TC that I would be free of looking at his caustic posts but each time someone quotes one of his silly replies then I am subjected to his idiotic crap all over again. Please everyone, for the sake of humanity, don't quote TC's post in the forum. He is best forgotten by all. Thank you for your cooperation in making this a better world.
I thought when I chose to ignore the forum post of this fellow with the initials of TC that I would be free of looking at his caustic posts but each time someone quotes one of his silly replies then I am subjected to his idiotic crap all over again. Please everyone, for the sake of humanity, don't quote TC's post in the forum. He is best forgotten by all. Thank you for your cooperation in making this a better world.
Unfortunately, a flaw in the system--or perhaps a bit of preanimate matter caught in the matrix? :D At any rate, as long as people quote him, we will be subjected to his trollings.

...I challenge you or anyone else to attend the next meeting of ABDSP's volunteer goup and explain that to them.

Yes it is cheap. How have you met the challenge yourself?

Yesterday I handed the Executive Director of the Portneuf Greenway the first check from the sale of a geocoin to generate some funding for their trail system. They support caching on their system. Today I'll be making a phone call to clear a log jam that has gotten in the way of a new trail. We do what we can, where we are, with what we have. It works well for the Greenway, it's worked well for caching here where I am. If they have a question or problem, guess what, I'll get a call.

Show me you do more than talk about cheap talk. :D

Whoooo Hoo . . . a new cache in ABDSP. :D:D

B)

So . . . for each finder, there should be 12 separate logs, either "Notes" or "Found its," depending on how you want to log it. B) I'll leave that up to the individual cacher. :lol:

Would it be OK to just post links to your "Found it" logs for each cache in the series in your one "Found it" log for the multi? You know that you can still log a "Found it" on an archived cache (especially in this case).

I have edited the cache page, so I hope that clears up any confusion. I didn't want to start a controversy. I just wanted to give cachers an excuse to head out to the desert again, even though the caches are gone now . . . B)

Will someone else give us a "Virtual Tour" of the Blair Valley area?

c7011128-c371-4689-8e0b-1b3ebcac9a18.jpg

I really liked some of the caches in that area. "Desert Candelabra" was a fun one, as was "Borrego Conejo."

Would it be OK to just post links to your "Found it" logs for each cache in the series in your one "Found it" log for the multi? You know that you can still log a "Found it" on an archived cache (especially in this case).
I didn't want to start a controversy. I just wanted to give cachers an excuse to head out to the desert again, even though the caches are gone now . . . ;)
IMHO I think logging a find on a cache more than once is "cheesy." Is it controversial to state your opinion on a discussion thread? I thought that's what the threads were for... :)
I didn't want to start a controversy. I just wanted to give cachers an excuse to head out to the desert again, even though the caches are gone now . . . :)
IMHO I think logging a find on a cache more than once is "cheesy." Is it controversial to state your opinion on a discussion thread? I thought that's what the threads were for... :)

I agree. Actually, I find myself often agreeing with TrailGators, and I find this oddly disturbing. ;)

I personally would only log your cache once. Since you have given your approval of multiple logging, which is certainly within your rights as cache owner, it will be interesting to see what cheeseheads cachers decide to log multiple smilees. Certainly I will not think anything less of them for cheating logging in this manner. :)

Edited by Snake & Rooster
I agree. Actually, I find myself often agreeing with TrailGators, and I find this oddly disturbing. :)

I personally would only log your cache once. Since you have given your approval of multiple logging, which is certainly within your rights as cache owner, it will be interesting to see what cheeseheads cachers decide to log multiple smilees. Certainly I will not think anything less of them for cheating logging in this manner. :)

;) All I know is the first time someone does log multiple smilees some of will be asking "Who cut the cheese?!" :) Edited by TrailGators

Any one have updated status on the caches in ABDSP? I bagged a few caches in Agua Caliente last weekend, my GPS map shows that's inside ABDSP...

Actually Agua Caliente is a San Diego County Park inside of Anza-Borrego and they have no control there.

Some good news for a change! :)

Any one have updated status on the caches in ABDSP? I bagged a few caches in Agua Caliente last weekend, my GPS map shows that's inside ABDSP...

I don't think we will ever get caches inside the Park under the present "leadership." :)This cache, which invites you to visit several great location in the SW Region of the Park, is still unfound. :)

I am hoping the final container is still in place. A person affliated with the Park emailed me threatening to remove it, even though it is not within the boundaries of ABDSP.

They are very serious about not wanting Geocachers to visit Geocache locations within the Park . . .

I don't think we will ever get caches inside the Park under the present "leadership." :)This cache, which invites you to visit several great location in the SW Region of the Park, is still unfound. :)

I am hoping the final container is still in place. A person affliated with the Park emailed me threatening to remove it, even though it is not within the boundaries of ABDSP.

They are very serious about not wanting Geocachers to visit Geocache locations within the Park . . .

Back to bad news... B)

Actually Agua Caliente is a San Diego County Park inside of Anza-Borrego and they have no control there.

Then again County Parks is starting to remove them too. 0002018E.gif

Then again County Parks is starting to remove them too. 0002018E.gif

0002018E.gif

I don't think we will ever get caches inside the Park under the present "leadership." ;)This cache, which invites you to visit several great location in the SW Region of the Park, is still unfound. :D

Well- how about a few hundred people create sock puppet accounts and log finds on this cache to just to show these bastards that we are allowed to visit anywhere within the park.

Why should this make them angry? I thought what pissed them off was the cache containers being left in the desert.

Sounds to me, that what really irks them, are people visiting the park!

Well- how about a few hundred people create sock puppet accounts and log finds on this cache to just to show these bastards that we are allowed to visit anywhere within the park.

Why should this make them angry? I thought what pissed them off was the cache containers being left in the desert.

I bolded the two things that you got totally right...

I don't think we will ever get caches inside the Park under the present "leadership." ;)This cache, which invites you to visit several great locations in the SW Region of the Park, is still unfound. :lol:

They are using a Sock Puppet account to view my Premium Member cache page (desertodd) and another Sock Puppet account to contact and threaten me (abvlntrs). :D

You are welcome to log my cache with Sock Puppet accounts, but I would rather people go out and enjoy those wonderful desert locations. "The Powder Can Cache" is in an incredible location, and I loved finding T.R. Violin's "Little Pass." I included Team Duckit's caches in my list because I thought it was great that he put caches out there to honor his two daughters.

It is distressing that these people don't want us to enjoy our chosen pastime in a State Park that is open to all sorts of other activities.

As I have said before, it is a Park not a Preserve.

I am hoping the final container is still in place. A person affliated with the Park emailed me threatening to remove it, even though it is not within the boundaries of ABDSP....

You have me wondering what opinion the State Attorney General would have regarding personal property being confiscated and thrown away. When the state invokes a law to achieve a desired result they also incur the obligation to follow the law. One of the functions of the attorney general is to provide guidance to the state in legal matters.

I think a discrete inquiry would be in order.

I am hoping the final container is still in place. A person affliated with the Park emailed me threatening to remove it, even though it is not within the boundaries of ABDSP....

I haven't heard about them threatening to have all the <edit>other online location information,</edit> etc removed and/or shut down if they are that worried about people visiting these locations. It feels like they are singling out one one recreational activity.

Edited to remove mentions to all the various other recreational activities that are conducted in the park. ;)

Don't want to let the cats out of the bag.

Edited by TerryDad2

I haven't heard about them threatening to have all the <edit>other online location information,</edit> etc removed and/or shut down if they are that worried about people visiting these locations. It feels like they are singling out one one recreational activity.

Edited to remove mentions to all the various other recreational activities that are conducted in the park. :D

Don't want to let the cats out of the bag.

Yes, they like campers and other stuff out there, but they don't like us. The morteros are one of the most popular spots to visit out there but somehow a geocache 100 feet farther away than the guideline they gave to us allegedly caused a problem. That still irks me... ;) Edited by TrailGators

You have me wondering what opinion the State Attorney General would have regarding personal property being confiscated and thrown away. When the state invokes a law to achieve a desired result they also incur the obligation to follow the law. One of the functions of the attorney general is to provide guidance to the state in legal matters.

I think a discrete inquiry would be in order.

An outstanding idea. Let us know how that works out, will you?

I bolded the two things that you got totally right...

Personally, I think that you are mistaken:

"Anza-Borrego Desert State Park is the largest state park in California. Five-hundred miles of dirt roads, 12 wilderness areas and miles of hiking trails provide visitors with an unparalleled opportunity to experience the wonders of the California Desert. The park is named after Spanish explorer Juan Bautista de Anza and the Spanish name borrego, or bighorn sheep. The park features washes, wildflowers, palm groves, cacti and sweeping vistas. Visitors may also have the chance to see roadrunner, golden eagles, kit foxes, mule deer and bighorn sheep as well as iguanas, chuckwallas and the red diamond rattlesnake. Listening devices for the hearing impaired are available in the visitor center."

roads, hiking trails, visitors...............oh my!! ;-)

Edited by Team Cotati

Received this about the new Cache at the Ranger station in Ocotillo Wells Welcome to Ocotillo Wells SVRA GC1CE2A

Skillet,

you are indeed the first Geocahing Enthusiast to find this cache, the other listed was one of the rangers who wanted to try and locate the cache. I know that you are very involved with caching and was wondering if you could give me some information about how to make the Cache Page nicer, perhaps how to put photos on the actual page. If you are willing to help me out I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew S. Ahlberg

California State RangerOcotillo Wells SVRA

Desk: 760 767 1322

Cell: 760 791 8233

Of course I will help them with their Cache pages

Edited by SKILLET
Received this about the new Cache at the Ranger station in Ocotillo Wells Welcome to Ocotillo Wells SVRA GC1CE2A

Skillet,

you are indeed the first Geocahing Enthusiast to find this cache, the other listed was one of the rangers who wanted to try and locate the cache. I know that you are very involved with caching and was wondering if you could give me some information about how to make the Cache Page nicer, perhaps how to put photos on the actual page. If you are willing to help me out I would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Andrew S. Ahlberg

California State RangerOcotillo Wells SVRA

Desk: 760 767 1322

Cell: 760 791 8233

Of course I will help them with their Cache pages

So we can add "Mr. Ambassador” to your list of titles?

Good job Mr. Ambassador!