Physical geocaches prohibited in ABDSP?

M2

too bad they don't have an "Ignore" button for the forums...
Actually they do. Click on "My Controls" on the top right. Then click on "Manage Ignored Users" towards the bottom of the left side. I think it's time to use it again....

Thanks for the tip on this one. Always nice to rid yourself a constant annoyance. I have just exercised my control.

Actually they do. Click on "My Controls" on the top right. Then click on "Manage Ignored Users" towards the bottom of the left side. I think it's time to use it again....

Thanks for the tip on this one. Always nice to rid yourself a constant annoyance. I have just exercised my control.

Thank you as well. It was getting old.

I was discussing this very issue with "lostguy" yesterday regarding the same individual. I have exercised my control as well. I am now angst free again :D

I was discussing this very issue with "lostguy" yesterday regarding the same individual. I have exercised my control as well. I am now angst free again :blink:

To Bad we can't take a poll to see how many of us have him on ignore :laughing::huh: I do

I saw a sign heading out to Ocotillo Wells that I had never noticed before which really concerned me. It may be a new sign or it may be something I just never noticed. The sign is located along the 78 right after one of the many very large Anza-Borrego Entrance signs next to the San Felipe Bridge cache.

What concerned me about the sign is a rule that I didn't know was a part of the now growing list of rules in ABSP. It said Welcome to ABSP- No Shooting and No Campfires.

Now I can understand the No Shooting part. But since when did the rangers start enforcing a No Campfires rule? Is this another one of Jorgenson's gems of new rules to make it HIS park and not for the people who actually use it?

I understand that when camping in National Forests in places like Big Bear that I'm not going to be able to have a campfire because of a heightened fire danger. That was always the appeal of going to the desert- the ability to have a campfire and not worry that flying embers would burn all of Southern California.

If this rule is not something new then I confess- I have broken the law many times in my camping days in ABSP.

Dave

I saw a sign heading out to Ocotillo Wells that I had never noticed before which really concerned me. It may be a new sign or it may be something I just never noticed. The sign is located along the 78 right after one of the many very large Anza-Borrego Entrance signs next to the San Felipe Bridge cache.

What concerned me about the sign is a rule that I didn't know was a part of the now growing list of rules in ABSP. It said Welcome to ABSP- No Shooting and No Campfires.

Now I can understand the No Shooting part. But since when did the rangers start enforcing a No Campfires rule? Is this another one of Jorgenson's gems of new rules to make it HIS park and not for the people who actually use it?

I understand that when camping in National Forests in places like Big Bear that I'm not going to be able to have a campfire because of a heightened fire danger. That was always the appeal of going to the desert- the ability to have a campfire and not worry that flying embers would burn all of Southern California.

If this rule is not something new then I confess- I have broken the law many times in my camping days in ABSP.

Dave

What did the rangers say when you asked?

Dave

The signs are not new. In fact many of them are well shot up from target practice :( .

The rule as per the park literature is there are no open ground fires. Fires in metal containers are fine.

<snip>

The signs are not new . . . and some of them are printed so they say:

No Shooting Fire in Metal Containers Only
:D:(
Did somebody say something? :P:laughing:
This is such a cool feature! It's kind of like when I watching something really good on TV, and Rooster is yacking about. . . well, you know how it is. You know she said something, but you have no idea what is was. :laughing:

I think TC should reciprocate by blocking us all out too... then it will be *really* quiet... :):):anibad:

Thanks for the info everyone. In the past I would create my own fire circle with rocks from around the camping area. I wonder if people would confuse my rock circle with something built by Indians. Guess I shouldn't have done that. But it was OK with the Superintendent because I wasn't a geocacher then anyways. It would only be bad if a geocacher did it.

Dave

In the past I would create my own fire circle with rocks from around the camping area.
As long as I have been camping in Anza Borrego (about 20 years), that has not been allowed inside the State Park. There are areas just outside the park where you can probably do that legally though.
In the past I would create my own fire circle with rocks from around the camping area.
As long as I have been camping in Anza Borrego (about 20 years), that has not been allowed inside the State Park. There are areas just outside the park where you can probably do that legally though.

Correct

Rock circles = Prohibitied in ABDSP

Must be in metal containers, like an old 50 gallon drum, or an old keg with the top chopped off.

Correct

Must be in metal containers, like an old 50 gallon drum, or an old keg with the top chopped off.

Rock fire pits in the Off Road Vehicle Area=NO PROBLEM-- Just can't burn wood with nails in it. Which is new this year ,but sure makes good sense. 00020263.gif

Correct

The inside of a washing machine makes a great fire pit. Easily hauled in the back of your pick-up and contains fire very well. I think it is metal with a concrete type outer shell.

Did somebody say something? :):)
This is such a cool feature! It's kind of like when I watching something really good on TV, and Rooster is yacking about. . . well, you know how it is. You know she said something, but you have no idea what is was. <_<
I do that all the time to Mrs.TrailGator... :P She is having 20 neighbor gals over to play bunco tomorrow night and tuning that out is beyond my current abilities. So I am headed to the local tavern tomorrow night... :D Edited by TrailGators

Just made the modifications myself. Thank you. You're a true humanitarian. :)

Correct

The store in town has a nice inexpensive stamped steel pan that holds a couple of firelogs perfectly. If your're out for just a night and don't need a bonfire, this is a good way to get a little warmth and light.

Correct

The store in town has a nice inexpensive stamped steel pan that holds a couple of firelogs perfectly. If your're out for just a night and don't need a bonfire, this is a good way to get a little warmth and light.

Home Depot sells galvanized tin wash tubs in various sizes that work great as fire containers. The middle size fits nicely inside a garbage bag and is convenient to haul around in a car/truck/jeep. I poked some holes around the bottom edge to get some ventilation and increase the "cheery fire" factor. Works great and I think it cost me about $15 if I remember correctly. In the morning, I put the tub and ashes back into the plastic bag and there is nothing left to indicate a fire was ever there ... except maybe the faint odor of burned marshmallows.

Thread the Needle and Slots-O-Fun are the most recently stolen caches. Looking at the galleries on those two cache pages, you can see the horrible type of people who engage in this despicable activity (sarcasm intended). Since they want us out of the park, I guess that the anti-geocaching folks at the park prefer drunken gangs of lowlifes that have no regard for the environment.

That's really too bad Dave. I hope someday when they get a fair and balanced person running the park that those historic caches can be restored. Edited by TrailGators
Thread the Needle and Slots-O-Fun are the most recently stolen caches. Looking at the galleries on those two cache pages, you can see the horrible type of people who engage in this despicable activity (sarcasm intended). Since they want us out of the park, I guess that the anti-geocaching folks at the park prefer drunken gangs of lowlifes that have no regard for the environment.

That's really too bad Dave. I hope someday when they get a fair and balanced person running the park that those historic caches can be restored.

We only managed to get 2 caches back out of the 10 we had down there, and they didn't even leave a note! :)

Those were two very fun caches to find, we remember a midnight run last year at the campout when we did the Slot! Very cool at night, especially those Ravens looking down at us and the Owl! :)

We think they have grabbed most of the caches by now, except the ones up on the peaks.

Is the snow melting? :)

The Splashes :)B)

dadgum it!!! :) Another one I wanted to visit. Gone!!

Guess the ABDSP has some deep pockets and doesn't need visitors. I feel bad for the folks in town that are supported, even if it a small amount, by the money we put into the economy when we're out there.

I'd also like to encourage all my fellow federal employees and those proudly serving in the Armed Forces to refrain from selecting the Anza Borrego Foundation during the CFC Open Season. Why should they get one penny of the $270,000,000+ in charitable donation we contribute?

Edited by Boomer and his Cache Bandits

Well, the locations where all the stolen caches were are still there, and people can still visit those locations . . . :) So . . . I'm very tempted to set up another "Multi" cache like my two "Historic" caches, V. 1.0 and V. 2.0, but this time include the best of the best caches that used to be in ABDSP.

Caches I would include on my "Virtual Tour of ABDSP," listed in no particular order, are:

Laura's Memorial

Calcite Cave

Powder Can Cache

Slot's of Fun

Mud Cave Cookie Tin

Thread the Needle

Jacumba 3446

Jacumba Scramble

Dos Hombres -- The World's Longest Curved Trestle

Desert Peek-a-Boo

Which additional caches would you like to see on such a "Virtual Tour of ABDSP?" Maybe there could be several of these that included caches in specific regions of ABDSP, with only 15 or 20 caches on each of the new "Multi" caches. The final containers would be located on BLM or Forest Service land.

Whaddaya think? :)

Well, the locations where all the stolen caches were are still there, and people can still visit those locations . . . :) So . . . I'm very tempted to set up another "Multi" cache like my two "Historic" caches, V. 1.0 and V. 2.0, but this time include the best of the best caches that used to be in ABDSP.

Caches I would include on my "Virtual Tour of ABDSP," listed in no particular order, are:

Laura's Memorial

Calcite Cave

Powder Can Cache

Slot's of Fun

Mud Cave Cookie Tin

Thread the Needle

Jacumba 3446

Jacumba Scramble

Dos Hombres -- The World's Longest Curved Trestle

Desert Peek-a-Boo

Which additional caches would you like to see on such a "Virtual Tour of ABDSP?" Maybe there could be several of these that included caches in specific regions of ABDSP, with only 15 or 20 caches on each of the new "Multi" caches. The final containers would be located on BLM or Forest Service land.

Whaddaya think? :)

I think it's a good idea. However, I would set a few multis so that each multi takes you on an route/tour that is doable in 2-6 hours. So you'll probably need to limit each multi to 3-10 waypoints to accomplish that. Of course there is nothing stopping anyone from using the same waypoints in different multis. By the way, how are you going to prove someone was at the waypoint? One idea would be to set up some waymarks with photos... Edited by TrailGators

I think it's a good idea. However, I would set a few multis so that each multi takes you on an route/tour that is doable in 2-6 hours. So you'll probably need to limit each multi to 3-10 waypoints to accomplish that. Of course there is nothing stopping anyone from using the same waypoints in different multis. By the way, how are you going to prove someone was at the waypoint? One idea would be to set up some waymarks with photos...

On my "Historic" cache pages, the Archived cache locations are still included and all I require is a picture of the cacher at the location and one of the GPS unit with the coordinates.

Maybe we could coordinate this among several cachers. I could set one "Virtual Tour of ABDSP" and include the caches in the area around "Powder Can Cache." Someone else could include the caches up by "Laura's Memorial." Someone else could own a "Virtual Tour" cache that included the Mud Cave region.

I think we need Marko Ramius's input on this . . .

I sent the following email to Marko Ramius today.

"-- Copy of email sent to Marko Ramius --

I was wondering, if Anza won't return the containers they are confiscating,

maybe YOU (Admin) shouldn't be archiving the caches until WE (the cache owners)

confirm the cache has actually been removed. I have a hunch they are not really

taking them all out - they are only saying they did to get the caches archived.

I have noticed some of the "removed" caches are near others that should have

been removed but were not. "

I think it's a good idea. However, I would set a few multis so that each multi takes you on an route/tour that is doable in 2-6 hours. So you'll probably need to limit each multi to 3-10 waypoints to accomplish that. Of course there is nothing stopping anyone from using the same waypoints in different multis. By the way, how are you going to prove someone was at the waypoint? One idea would be to set up some waymarks with photos...

On my "Historic" cache pages, the Archived cache locations are still included and all I require is a picture of the cacher at the location and one of the GPS unit with the coordinates.

Maybe we could coordinate this among several cachers. I could set one "Virtual Tour of ABDSP" and include the caches in the area around "Powder Can Cache." Someone else could include the caches up by "Laura's Memorial." Someone else could own a "Virtual Tour" cache that included the Mud Cave region.

I think we need Marko Ramius's input on this . . .

What could they do? They can't steal anything more than they have stolen. Also visiting locations that follow park rules is perfectly legit. We could use hikes right out of Jerry Schads book! :)

By the way, when we do a CITO we need to leave the trash in ABDSP because we wouldn't want to risk picking up some trash that was 50 years old and now classified as historic... :)

Okay, I've been looking at the list of caches I've found in that southwest section of ABDSP and think I'll work on setting up a "Virtual Tour of Southwest ABDSP." It will include some of the fun and more-memoriable ones including "Powder Can Cache," "Little Pass," "Tu-Uncommon; aka Not Your Mummys' Cache," "It's In The Can Man," "Where's The Beef?." "Shelby's desert cache," "Lanie's desert cache," "Jacumba 3446," and a few others. I'll leave off the really tough ones like "Dos Hombres . . . " and "Jacumba Scramble."

No guarantees on when I'll get a final container filled with goodies and figure out where to put it. Gas prices have crimped my style even more now . . . :)

Anyone else want to claim a different section of ABDSP? :)

Anyone else want to claim a different section of ABDSP? :)
There's no need to claim anything since these are virtual waypoints. Some others may have a different mix of caches that they may want to create a new multi from! :) The more the merrier! :) Edited by TrailGators

Slots-O-Fun was my 600th cache. I was just back there a couple of weeks ago for TDS.... so sad to not be able to cache in ABDSP.... <_<

There is a new cacher (abvlntrs) now helping the Rangers remove caches. The lastest one removed that I know of is Borrego Overlook Travel Bug Resort, it was on my watchlist. They started the account in Feb. and list themselves as park volunteers.

Well let's invite the new cacher and Uber-Volunteer out to the CITO event. Or are caches the only kind of trash they'll sink to picking up?

There is a new cacher (abvlntrs) now helping the Rangers remove caches. The lastest one removed that I know of is Borrego Overlook Travel Bug Resort, it was on my watchlist. They started the account in Feb. and list themselves as park volunteers.

Well let's invite the new cacher and Uber-Volunteer out to the CITO event. Or are caches the only kind of trash they'll sink to picking up?

If they show up they can pick up the trash in the desert because we aren't. We're only doing the Highway . 00020201.gif

Of course at the start of the We Be Jeepin' Event the Ranger just had to show up. He wasn't a bad guy but he does what he is told by his bosses. He Informed us not to place any Caches, like we didn't know that already.

7af09586-cf0d-46d8-8a09-770816cfee91.jpg

Edited by SKILLET
HPIM0353.JPG

I don't know what I did, but if you right click on the red X the picture comes up

No it doesn't. And I'm having trouble viewing pictures of the even on the cache page too. Don't know if it is Groundspeak or the latest Windows "update".

Sigh.

HI Snake!

On the We Be Jeepin' page, go to the gallery and click on that, they will all come up. I don't know why the usual way doesn't work either.

Sure was fun wasn't it??? YEEHAW :)

Splashette :blink:

HPIM0353.JPG

I don't know what I did, but if you right click on the red X the picture comes up

No it doesn't. And I'm having trouble viewing pictures of the even on the cache page too. Don't know if it is Groundspeak or the latest Windows "update".

Sigh.

HI Snake!

On the We Be Jeepin' page, go to the gallery and click on that, they will all come up. I don't know why the usual way doesn't work either.

If you right click on the red square then click on open it will bring up the picture also.
HPIM0353.JPG

Sigh.

I had been doing that, thanks, but it is a pita. Pictures are working as normal on other cache pages, so it is something about that particular page. Too bad, since there are a heck of a lot of fun pics to look at.

HI Snake!