Physical geocaches prohibited in ABDSP?

M2

because there may be areas of the park that they let us leave caches (like the off-roading sections mentioned above).

The OFF ROAD VEHICLE AREA is not under ABDSP jurisdiction. That area is bought and paid for by green sticker money. Some areas are fenced off for sensitive areas, read fenced off, at least they are I'D as such. Different rangers attend to that area also. Still state rangers but assigned to the OHVSRA. Different rules

So all off-roading trails are OK? I thought Coyote Canyon, Fish Creek, Borrego Mountain Wash, etc were all in ABDSP. It seems like if you can off-road then that area can't be considered "sensitive."

I believe SKILLET is talking about the Ocotillo Wells SVRA which is an area where permitted unlicensed vehicles can play. It runs from Ocotillo Wells to the east and north. It is outside ABDSP. See map on this website.

because there may be areas of the park that they let us leave caches (like the off-roading sections mentioned above).

The OFF ROAD VEHICLE AREA is not under ABDSP jurisdiction. That area is bought and paid for by green sticker money. Some areas are fenced off for sensitive areas, read fenced off, at least they are I'D as such. Different rangers attend to that area also. Still state rangers but assigned to the OHVSRA. Different rules

So all off-roading trails are OK? I thought Coyote Canyon, Fish Creek, Borrego Mountain Wash, etc were all in ABDSP. It seems like if you can off-road then that area can't be considered "sensitive."

I believe SKILLET is talking about the Ocotillo Wells SVRA which is an area where permitted unlicensed vehicles can play. It runs from Ocotillo Wells to the east and north. It is outside ABDSP. See map on this website.

OIC. I was actually talking about all the off-roading trails in ABDSP. The point was that I don't see what harm caches can do next to any of the off-roading trails out there.

They claimed that someone's datum was set to NAD27 and so they damaged an ancient rock cairn that was 300 feet away from this cache. It doesn't make sense that someone would use the wrong datum. They would have DNFed every cache they ever attempted, if their GPS was off by 300 feet because they were using the wrong datum. Plus it sounds like a lot of people know about that area so why would they assume a cacher did that? I agree with archiving that cache to be cooperative. The cache was ~300 feet away from cairn so it sounds like it was compliant with the park guidelines. If they do work out some new guidelines, we better make that distance 500 feet, so cachers don't get blamed for people using the wrong datums.

Edited by TrailGators
It doesn't make sense that someone would use the wrong datum. They would have DNFed every cache they ever attempted, if their GPS was off by 300 feet because they were using the wrong datum.

Perhaps you might want to ask Thunder-4 about the reason that the original coordinates for "Motorcycle Cache #1: Lilac" were off by 303 feet...

(I don't bring this up to embarrass T-4 but rather to say that it can happen -- even to an experienced cacher!)

Edited by Let's Look Over Thayer
It doesn't make sense that someone would use the wrong datum. They would have DNFed every cache they ever attempted, if their GPS was off by 300 feet because they were using the wrong datum.

Perhaps you might want to ask Thunder-4 about the reason that the original coordinates for "Motorcycle Cache #1: Lilac" were off by 303 feet...

(I don't bring this up to embarrass T-4 but rather to say that it can happen -- even to an experienced cacher!)

So where was T-4 on November 26th? :P

But seriously, think about someone out caching in the desert DNFing every cache that they attempted. It still seems like a longshot. To me it would be just as plausible if there was some family using a GPS with some desert guidebook or internet site to find these spots. When they get to the morteros/cairn, their kids played with the rocks and then they all left to go to the next spot. I guess in my mind there is reasonable doubt. Anyhow, Marko was smart to archive it to show them that geocachers are very cooperative even if it wasn't our fault.

Edited by TrailGators

But seriously, think about someone out caching in the desert DNFing every cache that they attempted. It still seems like a longshot. To me it would be just as plausible if there was some family using a GPS with some desert guidebook or internet site to find these spots. When they get to the morteros/cairn, their kids played with the rocks and then they all left to go to the next spot. I guess in my mind there is reasonable doubt. Anyhow, Marko was smart to archive it to show them that geocachers are very cooperative even if it wasn't our fault.

And I would agree with you on that point. There are many plausible explanations about how a cairn could have been dismantled. Unless there was some compelling evidence that pointed to a geocacher (a "replacement" cache and log installed in the cairn by a misguided cache karma seeker, for example) one shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about how the cairn got dismantled.

They claimed that someone's datum was set to NAD27 and so they damaged an ancient rock cairn that was 300 feet away from this cache. It doesn't make sense that someone would use the wrong datum. They would have DNFed every cache they ever attempted, if their GPS was off by 300 feet because they were using the wrong datum. Plus it sounds like a lot of people know about that area so why would they assume a cacher did that? I agree with archiving that cache to be cooperative. The cache was ~300 feet away from cairn so it sounds like it was compliant with the park guidelines. If they do work out some new guidelines, we better make that distance 500 feet, so cachers don't get blamed for people using the wrong datums.

It's silly to assume that a cacher "damaged an ancient rock cairn" in that area. That cache is less then 500 feet from the very popular morteros area near Blair Valley. The hike to the morteros is well publicized by the park and there are even signs telling you how to get there. I had been there many times before geocaching ever existed and hundreds of people (nongeocachers) do that hike each week in the high season (if not each day). Any one of those people could have messed with the rock cairn. While I agree that the cache should not be in that area, the chance that the cache caused any damage that would not have occurred otherwise is a fallacy.

And I would agree with you on that point. There are many plausible explanations about how a cairn could have been dismantled. Unless there was some compelling evidence that pointed to a geocacher (a "replacement" cache and log installed in the cairn by a misguided cache karma seeker, for example) one shouldn't be jumping to conclusions about how the cairn got dismantled.

Plus after looking at it some more, the ranger alleged that the cacher "dug a hole." Cachers don't dig holes looking for caches because we know that it's against our own guidelines to bury caches. So that also makes it more likely that a muggle most likely did that.

I'm not sure how much a help/hinderance the earthcaches are to allowing traditionals in the park. ;)

I've tried contacting the Super about the existing earthcaches I have in the park and have not had a response yet.

How the heck will they remove an Earthcache. 0002014F.gif

If they feel cachers are destroying an area trying to get to the earth/virtual cache, they will ask GC to archive it.

I'm curious to see what an indian cairn looks like. Anyone have pics of one?

Skillet, thanks for relocating Ginger!'s cache. Thmbsup.gif

I'm not sure how much a help/hinderance the earthcaches are to allowing traditionals in the park. B)

I've tried contacting the Super about the existing earthcaches I have in the park and have not had a response yet.

If they feel cachers are destroying an area trying to get to the earth/virtual cache, they will ask GC to archive it.

I wonder why they didn't put a little sign next to the cairn describing it and asking people not to touch it? I guess they thought that would encourage people to dismantle it? ;)

I'm just curious how many resources that could be used for other much more important tasks are being used to remove innocent and harmless caches . . . :anicute:

Caches that are located in or near sensitive archeological sites, fossil resource areas, critical watering sources for endangered animals, or historic sites, would hardly be classified as "innocent" or "harmless". :anibad::anibad::anibad:

Glad to see this cleared up. To my knowledge, no of-road use in the ABDSP is permitted. :anicute::anibad::anibad:

NOTE:

Over the last few days, I have been communicating with ABDSP representatives. We are not yet done with our various conversations. I ask those who are interested in this topic to hang tight, and please hold your horses. I realize that there is a lot of passion on both sides of this issue.

I'll post back here when I can make a complete report.

I'm not sure how much a help/hinderance the earthcaches are to allowing traditionals in the park. :anicute:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn

I'm not sure how much a help/hinderance the earthcaches are to allowing traditionals in the park. :anicute:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cairn

Why don't they just put it back up?

And how do they know it was the Indians that set up that cairn, and not some drunk camper that had nothing better to do?

I'm just curious how many resources that could be used for other much more important tasks are being used to remove innocent and harmless caches . . . :anibad:

Caches that are located in or near sensitive archeological sites, fossil resource areas, critical watering sources for endangered animals, or historic sites, would hardly be classified as "innocent" or "harmless". :anibad::anicute::anibad:

That depends entirely on the resource. Not the cache. Most resources are on lands suitable for casual use by people enjoying the countryside. Caching is a casual use. A cairn is an exception. That's a bad spot for a cache. A good spot for a trail.

...Why don't they just put it back up?

And how do they know it was the Indians that set up that cairn, and not some drunk camper that had nothing better to do?

They probably could. Not quite as good as it never having been taken apart but a good plan B.

As for the second question. Archaeologists and Anthropologists could probably tell the difference between one built by Indians and one built by drunk campers. The keystone cans and holes where the rocks used to be would give away the drunk camper.

They probably could. Not quite as good as it never having been taken apart but a good plan B.

As for the second question. Archaeologists and Anthropologists could probably tell the difference between one built by Indians and one built by drunk campers. The keystone cans and holes where the rocks used to be would give away the drunk camper.

How do we know that the Indians weren't drunk when they make those rock piles? I'm thinking that 6000 years from now future archaelogists will be studying our Keystone inspired rock piles. Edited by TrailGators

I just recieved a Email That......................

LANIES DESERT CACHE &

SHELBYS DESERT CACHE ...................have been Removed from ABSP

By................ NOTARANGER

-- Copy of email sent to Notaranger --

Thank you so much for picking up our cache I just Archived it last week when all Neg. against GEO caching down in the ABSP started. I haven't had time to get down to the ABSP area to grab it "Nice try" ......I don't understand what you mean ???

you posted that on Lanies Desert cache and Shelbys Desert cache Would you like me to come pic them up from you ??? or better yet you can keep them for taking it out of the park for me Someday, someone will treat you with the kindness you have shared with me for going out of your way to grab my cache Thank You Chris

Below is there reponse back to me in a email

"Just picking up trash."

You missed my point; it don't necessarily have to be a drunk. How about a wayward hiker; or a horse thief from the 1800's; or soldiers/surveyors from same period; or aliens from Mars; or an archaeologist herself. I heard of such a despicable act by one to halt some construction project. If someone had not seen the act in progress, she would have gotten away with it.

I just recieved a Email That......................

LANIES DESERT CACHE &

SHELBYS DESERT CACHE ...................have been Removed from ABSP

By................ NOTARANGER

-- Copy of email sent to Notaranger --

Thank you so much for picking up our cache I just Archived it last week when all Neg. against GEO caching down in the ABSP started. I haven't had time to get down to the ABSP area to grab it "Nice try" ......I don't understand what you mean ???

you posted that on Lanies Desert cache and Shelbys Desert cache Would you like me to come pic them up from you ??? or better yet you can keep them for taking it out of the park for me Someday, someone will treat you with the kindness you have shared with me for going out of your way to grab my cache Thank You Chris

Below is there reponse back to me in a email

"Just picking up trash."

This is a bunch of crap! What a vindictive loser. I hope these talks with the Park & GC.com fix this whole situation. But it doesn't look like it. This person "NotaRanger" seems like they want a fight. Chris sorry to hear about the above.

This weekend I will be grabbing my archived cache GC161A6. Access is from the Cottonwood Campground in McCain Valley. Anybody interested in going let me know. Probably start late Sat morning.

The "trash" picker went all the way to the Powder Can Cache.

:P:P:unsure::yikes::smile:

I would like to add my tears to this post . . . :blink: :blink: :ph34r::grin:

That was the second oldest cache in San Diego County, and it is on my "San Diego County "Historic" Cache Adventure" Multi-cache list. I am not going to take the caches that are in the desert and have been so inconsideratly-removed by the Rangers (Don't they have real work, like trail maintenance to do?) off that list, or the other list on my second Historic Cache Adventure. For the purposes of completing the quest for the oldest caches in the County, I am going to allow "virtual logging." I will post a note to that effect on the cache pages.

That is such a great location, I hope others get to see it. I hope to return someday to take more photographs of the fantastic wind-carved boulders. Unless they fence it, there is no way they can prevent hikers, and cachers, from going there. Although if they succeed in closing the all the roads west of S2 in that area, it will be very, very hard to get there . . . Everyone should make sure they submit their Public Comments about that Proposal before it is implemented.

Colorado Desert District HQ of Dept. of Parks and Recreation

Channel 10News at 6:30 p.m. January 31, 2007

Contact the Colorado Desert District HQ of the California Department of Parks and Recreation:

Jim Dice, Sr.

Environmental Scientist

Colorado Desert District

California Department of Parks and Recreation

200 Palm Canyon Drive

Borrego Springs, CA 92004

idice@parks.ca.gov

Fax: 760-767-3427

FYI- I personally have not removed any of your caches. Out of courtesy for the cache owners, when I am notified that someone, (be that a ranger, volunteer, etc.) has removed a cache box from the park, I post it.

If you would rather I not notify you, please let me know.

Have a good day.

FYI- I personally have not removed any of your caches. Out of courtesy for the cache owners, when I am notified that someone, (be that a ranger, volunteer, etc.) has removed a cache box from the park, I post it.

Have a good day.

I am sure the cache owners appreciate being notified, now that you are finally doing that. :P However, some warning that this was going to be done would have been a better way of handling this situation. If I had a cache out there and knew it was going to be picked up "as trash," I would have driven out and retrieved it. I'm sure the other cache owners would have done the same, if you had only given them some advance warning.

In my opinion, this was a very inconsiderate way of proceeding with the new policy. Anza Borrego Desert State Park is a Park, not a Preserve, and some of the caches you are removing have been out there, harming nothing, for more than five years.

Edited by Miragee

Have a good day.

That's good practice. We as cache owners do need to know the status of our caches.

When a volunteer or ranger removes a cache, it pays to keep in mind that that is personal property and give the owner a chance to retrieve them.

...How do we know that the Indians weren't drunk when they make those rock piles? I'm thinking that 6000 years from now future archaelogists will be studying our Keystone inspired rock piles.

Yes they will. That's why we need to do our part and practice our cultural traditions so that in the future they can look back and wonder about us being here. My brother who does like to make Cairns calls this "geo stacking".

Have a good day.

Wow. That's a lot of work for you. So they must be looking through the cache logs in the containers and such and relaying to you the name of the cache and owner. Then you get to look it up and post your message. You are so nice to tell us of this after the fact. So then, you are then saying that you are the person that they are going to and communicating with after caches are being picked up. I did hear that there was someone going on geocaching that they were working with. While you are jumping in and reading this, as I suspected, could you kindly tell me what this artifact was that you found in our Peace Espavo cache as neither we nor the last finders remember seeing anything that looked like any sort of 'artifact'. Would love if you could clear that mystery up for us. It also would have been nice if you could have been a little kinder in your email to us after we asked you if we could have our cache back. Especially after telling you it was there for almost 5 years and hidden with our 3 kids who were a few years old then. It was sentimental and not trash to us.

Have a good day.

Miragee,

Did you find any more info on the west of the S-2 road closures?

Also would like to add that I like your idea of allowing a virtual find. We also extend this to anyone that visits any of our caches and finds it gone. If you make the effort to get there you deserve the log.

Edited by SlabyFam

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

January 3 by Notaranger (8 found)

This cache has been removed per ABDSP new geocaching policy. btw...nice try.

That is fine with me, the part I could live without would be the comments like................" nice try"

or................"just out picking up trash"

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

That is fine with me, the part I could live without would be the comments like................" nice try"

It's almost like they enjoy pouring salt in the wound. They would never think that caches were being archived at their request and so that cachers don't waste their time looking for a cache that may not be there. You would think they would have let those cooperating with them some time to pick up their caches/logbooks with all the great memories.... :huh: Edited by TrailGators

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

Hey, I noticed she logged it as a find! Nice. She logs them as she tells us they are gone. But I thought she didn't remove it? If Notaranger wants to earn some smilies she can go grab our caches up in Indianhead, Coyote, Granite, Whale...and if they aren't there I'll allow it as a virtual log!

Good Times!

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

Hey, I noticed she logged it as a find! Nice. She logs them as she tells us they are gone. But I thought she didn't remove it? If Notaranger wants to earn some smilies she can go grab our caches up in Indianhead, Coyote, Granite, Whale...and if they aren't there I'll allow it as a virtual log!

Good Times!

I had a thought. I am considering hiking out to these caches as they are removed and then making little piles of things as a remembrance of the cache . You know a few candles on tin cans, some small toys, perhaps a ribbon or 2. then we could sit down drink a six pack and leave those as well. That way anyone following would realize that other nice folks have been there. Not those nasty geocachers that clean things up.

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

Team Duckit as the Cache owner you know you can delete Notarangers logs and take away those Smilely faces. That's what I would do. 00020176.gif

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

Team Duckit as the Cache owner you know you can delete Notarangers logs and take away those Smilely faces. That's what I would do. 00020176.gif

Convert them all to member only caches so these folks at least have to shell out money to find out where they are to remove them

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

Convert them all to member only caches so these folks at least have to shell out money to find out where they are to remove them

I think we had decided we were not going to play a cat and mouse game. Besides, they probably have a list of them already. And even though they can't see the webpage, the member-only caches do appear on certain queries, such as a zip code query; a find-all-nearby-caches query; etc... They would then contact the an administrator to archive the cache.

I think we had decided we were not going to play a cat and mouse game. Besides, they probably have a list of them already. And even though they can't see the webpage, the member-only caches do appear on certain queries, such as a zip code query; a find-all-nearby-caches query; etc... They would then contact the an administrator to archive the cache.

Given that they picked up Team Duckit's archived caches (for which they gave TD a snarky "nice try"), I'd say that there is pretty good evidence that they already have a listing.

Besides, I imagine that even the most cash-strapped governmental organization can come up with the 3 bucks it takes to be a premium member for one month.

Have a good day.

Cache Logs

I suspect the "nice try" is a reference to a misunderstanding of why you archived the cache. NotARanger probably thought you did that to hide the cache listing from them, rather than to keep cachers from looking for the cache. If you had made it "members only", then that might have been appropriate but in this case, NotARanger should have thanked you for your cooperation instead. Oh, well, ugly situation all around - looks like San Diego is now ground zero for geocaching blowback. How we handle it will probably be very important to the future of geocaching in our area. :rolleyes:

I just got a notification for a DNF log on this cache. :)

Seems to me if the Rangers, or Park Volunteers, removed the caches on that hill, the least they could have done was post Notes on the cache pages notifying the cache owners. Then the caches could have been Archived, so a cacher wouldn't waste their time looking for a container that isn't there . . . :D

Seems to me if the Rangers, or Park Volunteers, removed the caches on that hill, the least they could have done was post Notes on the cache pages notifying the cache owners. Then the caches could have been Archived, so a cacher wouldn't waste their time looking for a container that isn't there . . . :D

I guess if they want people stomping all over looking for them then they won't post a note. The irony is that they are causing more damage by doing that then these caches ever did...

There were dnf's just posted on the 3 eastern most caches in Santa Ysabel Open Space Preserve. I wonder . . .

DeserTrekers couldn't find I HATE ROCKS !! (Traditional Cache) at 1/12/2008

Log Date: 1/12/2008

And it was because we ran into two rangers at the site and they said these cache hides inside the park are not leagal. Since I was a park range in my past life, we agreed not to look for these until they are cleared from the sup. (Future Cachers might take note of this!!!)

This Cache is not in the ABDSP their sign is a good 1/2 mile away.

It takes two rangers to remove Caches. 0002019C.gif

Time for some budget cuts I think.

Someone else found this one the same day so maybe it's still there ???

And it was because we ran into two rangers at the site and they said these cache hides inside the park are not leagal. Since I was a park range in my past life, we agreed not to look for these until they are cleared from the sup. (Future Cachers might take note of this!!!)

I looked at their map and Scissors Crossing is not part of ABSP. It just shows how this is a power trip and they probably high fived each other when they got back in their vehicle. It makes me wonder when they'll start blurring the lines in Ocotillo Wells SVRA as well.

Dave

I looked at their map and Scissors Crossing is not part of ABSP. It just shows how this is a power trip and they probably high fived each other when they got back in their vehicle. It makes me wonder when they'll start blurring the lines in Ocotillo Wells SVRA as well.

Dave

I was wondering if they would start stealing caches (personal property hidden per guidelines) not in the park. It's not that hard to use Mapsource to see which caches are/aren't in the park.

Dave

I was wondering if they would start stealing caches (personal property hidden per guidelines) not in the park. It's not that hard to use Mapsource to see which caches are/aren't in the park.

Since the geocaching.com google maps clearly show the boundaries of that park and the relationship to any geocaches, why would they bother with mapsource?

Dave

Since the geocaching.com google maps clearly show the boundaries of that park and the relationship to any geocaches, why would they bother with mapsource?

You can easily load your GPS from Mapsource with only the caches in the park. Do you want to make a snide remark about that too? Edited by TrailGators

I wouldn't trust the gc.com google maps either. I know of a few instances where the Google maps are innacurate in regards to managing agency/management status.