Vista HCx/Find/Geocache -> CRASH!

JohnTee

I noticed something for the first time today, something that is crashing my Vista HCx.

Push-Hold 'Find' Button -> In the 'Find' Menu, select 'Geocache' -> In the background 'None Found', in the foreground, "Would you like to setup the geocaching options? NO YES" , choose 'Yes' -> 'Geocache Setup' Menu, Geocache Symbols 'Find' or 'Found', choose to setup either and press Enter -> screen blanks out. The unit is not shut off, but the screen has very fine, vertical lines all the way across. Press the 'Light/Power' button and several faint lines appear across the top. Push and hold the 'Light/Power' button and the screen briefly illuminates a solid white and then shows 'Garmin' as in start up and powers back up.

Battery shows two bars battery left.

There are not geocaches loaded in that menu, all showing up in my waypoints menu, besause of my GSAK formating.

The 'default' symbols showing up in the 'Geocache Setup' menu for 'Find' and 'Found' are small, black dots.

It seems to work fine in all other modes; no maps loaded at present.

JohnTee

Software Version 2.50

GPS SW Version 2.30

Incidentally, I went into 'Main Menu' -> 'Setup' -> 'Geocache' -> 'Geocache Setup' -> submenu 'Restore Defaults'

I now have the original geocache symbol again and it works fine. Something to do with setting up custom geocache icons (micro, small, regular, multi, virtual, etc.).

Go figure!

JohnTee

I see a similar thing here. My custome geocaching icons will not work on my Vista HCx. I'll reset and see what happens.

I reset it using 'Main Menu' -> 'Setup' -> 'Geocache' -> 'Geocache Setup' -> submenu 'Restore Defaults' and it started working with the "normal" geocaching symbols.

I then setup my custom icons again and it seems to be working just fine.

Ok, now lets step back again and describe the whole thing.

1. Open new GPS on Christmas day. Get it out and start playing with it. I loaded my custom icons, maps, POI's etc, etc. (this is not my first GPS so everything was very familure ).

2. Setup the custom geocaching icons that I want to use.

3. Use WebUpdater to see if new software is available. Yep it is. Loaded the update.

4. Load all my geocaching waypoints - and head out of town with the GPS.

5. While out of town doing some geocaching the GPS isn't recogonizing my custom geocaching icons as geocaching (you can tell this by the "extra" things you get on the compass screen - those extra things weren't showing up).

6. I tried to change the geocaching icons in geocaching setup and whenever I selected to change the Find or Found icon the screen would freeze and go VERY dim - not quite off but not usable either. The only button that functions is the power off/on button.

7. Powering off and back on brings the GPS back to life.

8. Read this forum post and see that others have seen it too.

9. Reset geocaching setup as described above.

10. Set geocaching icons back to the custom settings.

11. Things seem to be working a-ok

12. Delete all geocaches on GPS and reload them all from GSAK.

13. The geocaching setup seems to be working just fine.

Looks like that solved this problem for me. Now I have to figure out why the Vista HCx will only accept 10 characters from GSAK. I thought it would take 14..... Hum.

Now I have to figure out why the Vista HCx will only accept 10 characters from GSAK. I thought it would take 14..... Hum.

Search this forum for the solution. It's a GSAK setting that has to be changed.

Thanks for the suggestion, but GSAK is set to send 14 characters. GSAK sends all 14 to my 76CSx but only 10 to the vista HCx (same settings in GSAK). Or that might be better worded that the Vista HCx seems to truncate it at 10 even if more characters are sent. It has me stumped!!

Now I have to figure out why the Vista HCx will only accept 10 characters from GSAK. I thought it would take 14..... Hum.

Thanks for the suggestion, but GSAK is set to send 14 characters. GSAK sends all 14 to my 76CSx but only 10 to the vista HCx (same settings in GSAK). Or that might be better worded that the Vista HCx seems to truncate it at 10 even if more characters are sent. It has me stumped!!

Here's the post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=175943&hl=

I guess it's really a GPBabel setting, not a GSAK setting, but they're related. Sorry, I'm not a GSAK user (I have a toddler; not enough time to do caching to need special tools).

Here's the post: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...=175943&hl=

I guess it's really a GPBabel setting, not a GSAK setting, but they're related. Sorry, I'm not a GSAK user (I have a toddler; not enough time to do caching to need special tools).

That worked perfectly!! Thanks for taking the time to point the other thread out. The fix they described worked like a charm.

Sokratz

Hi Sokratz,

I had exactly the same problem (GPSr crashes when I tried to change the icon for 'found' geocaches). After resetting to default settings and reloading of all geocaches with custom symbols via GSAK it is working fine again. Thanks a lot for your post.

cheers,

Dave :ph34r: